Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168676 - 08/22/12 05:25 PM My son refuses to pee on the ground
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Sometime being a parent is difficult....

Went car camping and day hiking with my family this weekend. My oldest son is recently potty trained, but is perfectly happy using the "non-flushing toilets" (his words) in the campgrounds. On a day hike to the top of Mt. Pinos he tells me he has to go pee. I told him when your out in the woods you just go and pee on a bush. He found this completely unacceptable and was in tears asking me to bring him to the "non-flushing toilet". He assured me the bush did not want to be peed on. The impasse was finally resolved when I dug a little hole in the ground and put sticks around edge (for a seat) and told him it was just like a pit toilette now. He was so happy with this arrangement that we had to find it again on the way down and he used it a second time.

Edited by BZH (08/22/12 05:26 PM)

#168677 - 08/22/12 08:26 PM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: BZH]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Great story!

Amazing how almost any story about kids can bring a smile to your face, even if it is about peeing.

Apparently my father "was in trouble" with my mother because I, as a child, left the house to go pee on a tree in the yard.

#168784 - 08/27/12 11:59 AM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: BZH]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Kids are funny! My grandson (when he was 3) refuse to pee anywhere EXCEPT on the ground outdoors for nearly 6 months! Problem, we were NOT backpacking. Crossing a bridge over a little creek smack center downtown, he drops his pants and pees an incredible arc into the stream, very proud of himself. Little boys sometimes never grow up- my dear husband pees in the backyard occasionally.

#168791 - 08/27/12 01:10 PM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: wandering_daisy]
BZH Offline

This is much closer to how I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We had a little flower garden next to the door into our house that never grew very much because we would always pee into it before going inside.

#169019 - 09/04/12 11:17 PM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: BZH]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I am not a parent so take this as you like...
Sometime children are very good at training their parents
( I had a lot of younger cousins and this is where my observation comes from)
Incidentally I was not allowed to train mine.
Franco

#169020 - 09/05/12 02:31 AM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: Franco]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've noticed that the same is true of dogs and their owners. My dog loves to go out and sleep in the sun; 10 minutes later he's overheated and wants to come in. Unfortunately, I've given in to his demands too many times, so now he thinks he can do this a dozen times a day!

#169117 - 09/07/12 03:05 PM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: OregonMouse]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
Has your son seen you pee on the ground? I did the first time with my son just so he would see it as a normal thing. Only think is he thought it was too normal and would prefer to pee on the side of the house instead of coming in when playing.

Funny story two weeks ago we were hiking back to the car and I took him by a bush so he could pee. when he pulled his pants down I noticed his underwear had a wet spot. I asked if he had wet himself and he replied "no last time I peed on the tree and it bounced back." I told him from now on pee next to the tree laugh

#169121 - 09/07/12 06:00 PM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: Cesar]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By Cesar
Has your son seen you pee on the ground? ...

Yup, I have certainly done demonstrations for him.

#169128 - 09/07/12 10:05 PM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: BZH]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
For reference, I have four kids - mix of girls and boys. The oldest three are toilet trained (most of the time at ages 4-9) the toddler isn't. The oldest two can poop in the woods.

The problem is probably that you and your wife(?) have taught him to go to the bathroom in one way in one place. That's a hard skill to teach so you've been successful.

But he's two or three years old. Three year olds are very litteral and often don't deal with change well.

So my advice is don't worry about it. So long as he isn't having (many) accidents and you don't mind carrying a small trowel, you're pretty sure he won't decide the corner of his closet is a bathroom. And he'll naturally grow to be more flexible and tolerant of different foods and circumstances so long as you continue to introduce them to him in a positive, non threatening way.

And think of the story you'll have to tell as he gets older!! Did you get pictures of the toilet to show him when he's in Elementary school?

#170009 - 10/01/12 09:23 AM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: Steadman]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Steadman has great advice. Don't worry about it. I had to teach my oldest son to not pee outside all the time. One time he did it on the church lawn while everyone was coming out.

I still have one in diapers, so I am looking forward to getting him potty trained and ditching the diapers for good.

#170450 - 10/12/12 01:27 PM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: finallyME]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
My experience with my kids was much the same as FM. When my boys were little - 2 or 3 or 4 - they would pee anywhere and everywhere. We had several instances that were a little embarrassing. The real problem comes when they get just a little older. A 3 year old peeing on the church lawn is still cute, but a 6 year old doing the same thing is just unacceptable (to most people).

So, for us, there has always been a running conversation about which of societies rules are mandatory, which are suggestions, and when and where each can/can't be broken or massaged.

Steadman is still right... don't worry about it.

#170913 - 10/24/12 07:14 PM Re: My son refuses to pee on the ground [Re: BZH]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Late poster. Sorry.
I just had to chuckle. Thank you for sharing.

About 20 years ago, when my youngest boy was 2, we were were hiking up to Timpanogos caves. He was toilet trained but we put a diaper on him for the ‘long walk’. Well he had to go half way up. We told him to just pee in the diaper. “No!!! I can’t!!!!”
Ok, so we let him go on the ground. From that day to today he has in no way forgot “never pee uphill or upwind.”

-Barry

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum