Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192434 - 11/06/15 11:01 AM Geraldine Largay remains found
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
Bangor Daily News

I found this article while on another forum, and I didn't see anything on these forums here so I thought I'd post about it. It's nice that the mystery of her disappearance is now over, and the family can finally have some sense of closure.

#195485 - 05/26/16 02:47 PM Re: Geraldine Largay remains found [Re: Zuuk]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
The follow-up information is frankly, disquieting. She lived twenty-six days after becoming lost. Having never traveled in Maine I can't know what the terrain and forest are like, but would hope an experienced backcountry person could become "unlost" or at least better enhance her chances of rescue. So very sad.

#195525 - 05/27/16 11:15 PM Re: Geraldine Largay remains found [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A real horror story. Lots of detail is coming out on the WhiteBlaze forum today. While there is probably plenty of blame to go around, it's more important to learn lessons from this. All hikers need to practice navigation skills--you can usually find classes available in studying map and compass. Also, while you should stay put for a better chance of being found when you're lost, you need to stay put in an open area where you're more apt to be spotted.

As a preventive measure, those who know they are weak in navigation skills definitely need to take classes and not hike alone. She had a SPOT but left it behind in a motel along the way. Her partner had to drop out due to a family emergency. It's almost like a "perfect storm."

The info in her journal came out due to a Freedom of Information suit filed by a Boston newspaper. The Maine SAR felt that the information in the journal was private and should be only for the family, since there was no criminal case involved. I can see why, and really feel for her family with this nightmare publicity being spread all over the country.

If the knowledge derived from her journal and from the SAR inventories helps prevent such a tragedy in the future, maybe it will offset the pain to her family.

#195670 - 06/05/16 11:05 AM Re: Geraldine Largay remains found [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I personally think the authorities should not release personal writings of a dying woman. There was no foul play and the contents of the journal is nobody else's business. This certainly convinces me to only write a few brief good-bye's to my loved ones if I ever were in such a situation.

I get really tired of the blame that is always placed on the victim as if none of us would ever make such "mistakes". We all make lots of outdoor mistakes and fortunately, most do not result in death. As far as "lessons learned", I think a dead person's dignity and privacy are more important.

#195672 - 06/05/16 12:39 PM Re: Geraldine Largay remains found [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I very much agree, but because of the involvement of law enforcement (SAR), unfortunately the papers found with Mrs Largay became part of the official record. The courts generally treat FOI requests as overriding any idea of privacy.

W_D, I think your solution is the best--assume that anything you leave behind will be made public!

On Whiteblaze the posters seem divided on blaming poor Mrs. Largay and the equally unfortunate SAR folks, who undoubtedly have been blaming themselves for not going a few hundred yards further. Her husband is undoubtedly blaming himself for not going back and picking up the left-behind SPOT, assuming he knew about it.

As I mentioned, as long as the information has already been dragged into the public press, there are lessons we can learn from it, the only possible justification for this "blame game."

#195812 - 06/15/16 12:32 AM Re: Geraldine Largay remains found [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I agree Nancy. I read the family wanted to keep her journal private and I really cannot imagine doing otherwise.

The photo I saw of her, she was a strong woman. I couldn't help but admire her.

"You want to go where?"

#197315 - 12/30/16 09:37 PM Re: Geraldine Largay remains found [Re: Zuuk]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
I am reminded of a horror some years back. A young, college age man died within a couple hundred yards of the Rutland access to the LT. It was in March and he was found with only one shoe on. He died of hypothermia almost within yards of his parents waiting for him.
I have often thought that he went out either unprepared/unskilled or stupid light. It is easy to be seduced by the UL literature.
That this woman was missing so long before her death is telling. She must have known something of what to do to stay alive during that time. Doubtless she rationed her food and at the end probably died of malnutrition.
Maine is a rough place to be badly lost. It is more of a tragedy that she was so close to the AT. Could she have not stay put and built a fire?
Sad.

#199739 - 12/08/17 10:12 PM Re: Geraldine Largay remains found [Re: Rick_D]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By Rick_D
The follow-up information is frankly, disquieting. She lived twenty-six days after becoming lost. Having never traveled in Maine I can't know what the terrain and forest are like, but would hope an experienced backcountry person could become "unlost" or at least better enhance her chances of rescue. So very sad.

I just found this again thread when looking at my past postings. Things do not add up.
While I have not been on the AT in Maine, I know the Maine woods can be pretty thick. I wonder if this was in the 100 Mile Wilderness? Even so, there are plenty of hikers on the trail.
But...she was lost 26 days and near the trail before dying? Something is really wrong here.
She had to have rationed her food, so she must have been somewhat experienced. She must have had fire making means (I assume, but could I be wrong?). Why did she not build a signal fire? We know she was being looked for. She was found near the trail, why did no searcher (let alone an ordinary hiker) see/hear her?

#199740 - 12/09/17 07:39 AM Re: Geraldine Largay remains found [Re: EMT Dave]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
The discovery of her remains was on an episode of Northwoods Law, I think. One of the factors involved was that her clothing and gear did not stand out against the background. I don't remember the location or many of the details.

#199742 - 12/09/17 12:15 PM Re: Geraldine Largay remains found [Re: EMT Dave]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By EMT Dave
Even so, there are plenty of hikers on the trail.
But...she was lost 26 days and near the trail before dying? Something is really wrong here.

She was found near the trail, why did no searcher (let alone an ordinary hiker) see/hear her?

I have never hiked in Maine but I have hiked in Michigan a lot and it is very easy to be within 200 ft of the trail and not be able to see or hear someone else on the trail

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum