Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189814 - 03/23/15 02:18 PM Hiking with a cast?
PurpleHaze Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I broke my wrist snowboarding a few weeks ago and found out today I will be in a cast for my upcoming Yosemite trip. I'm not asking if it is a good idea to hike with a cast because I'm doing it regardless. I was just curious if you guys have any experience with hiking with a cast of some kind?

#189815 - 03/23/15 03:16 PM Re: Hiking with a cast? [Re: PurpleHaze]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Well that sucks. I've cycled with a leg half-cast and have had a full arm cast but never just a forearm cast, so can't say I have hiked with one.

First challenge will be putting the pack on and off. Trekking poles would be dubious, although one will be fine. Various camp chores will be harder and the whole bathroom routine will be...interesting. But as long as you're not in pain you'll adjust and adapt.

Happy hiking,

#189816 - 03/23/15 03:17 PM Re: Hiking with a cast? [Re: PurpleHaze]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't know if you're familiar with the father-daughter thru-hiking team of Balls and Sunshine from Salem, Oregon. While hiking the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania, Sunshine (age 12 at the time, I believe) fell and broke her arm. They took a few days off (relatives took them to the Hershey Medical Center, where they gave her a special weatherproof cast) and then continued, completing the trail (the next year, they completed the Triple Crown) Of course her dad did most of the heavy work for her.

If you use trekking poles, you probably want to use just one in your good hand. Mostly, you'll have the wonderful experience of trying to do everything one-handed. I hope you'll have someone with you to help out!

Does your physician know you're doing this? He might want to prescribe a different (i.e, more weatherproof) cast. If it's a plaster cast and gets wet, your arm will be toast.

Not quite the same thing, but two years ago my son participated as a re-enactor in the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, with a broken collarbone, 5 broken ribs and a few other lesser injuries, two weeks after a nasty fall from his horse and less than a week after collarbone surgery (which actually helped considerably). Of course he was subsisting on extensive pain medication. He took part in two battles (wearing a period-correct sling rigged up with the help of an orthopedic surgeon member of his cavalry troop) as "dismounted cavalry." (No way was he getting on a horse again until he healed up!) Joining the Federal infantry fending off Pickett's Charge on the third day involved several miles of hiking from the cavalry camp to the battle site and back again. If he made it through, you should be able to do your hike, as long as you can cope with being mostly one-handed. Let us know how it turns out!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/23/15 03:22 PM)

#189818 - 03/23/15 03:34 PM Re: Hiking with a cast? [Re: PurpleHaze]
PurpleHaze Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I'm not worried. I've been in this for a few weeks now I just expected it to be off by now. I have not found too much trouble doing tasks. The potential for wetting the cast is my only concern. I will talk to my doctor and see what she thinks. I wouldn't miss out on this trip for anything.

#189819 - 03/23/15 03:55 PM Re: Hiking with a cast? [Re: PurpleHaze]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
When my son broke his arm last summer, the orthopedic doctor gave him a brace rather than a traditional cast, and it was wonderful. We could get it wet without issue and even remove it for cleaning. You may see if you're far enough along for something like that.

#189821 - 03/23/15 06:06 PM Re: Hiking with a cast? [Re: 4evrplan]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
In 1955 I hiked from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass in Washington with my left forearm in a plaster cast. As I recall, the trip took about a week because we were climbing a few peaks enroute. It definitely made life more difficult but I did have the (clumsy) use of my left fingers. I tried, unsuccessfully, to keep the cast dry so it got sort of soft in places as the trip progressed. At that time I was only a week or so from having the cast removed so didn't think there might be a significant downside to what I did. I still got chewed out by the doctor when I went in to have the cast removed. Not for the last time. smile

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum