Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185906 - 06/23/14 10:20 PM shivering, but not cold
squark Offline

Loc: SF bay area, CA
Googled this, but most of the results pointed to chronic conditions, which I don't think is the case here. I was up in the Hoover Wilderness last week, and my second night out found myself shivering uncontrollably in my sleeping bag, but I didn't feel cold. According to reports I read later, it was 36F. Any ideas what might have been going on? Dehydration may have been in play; I lost five pounds over the two days, and gained it back on my second day home frown. Nutrition as well, since 1, I forgot to pack some of my intended food, and 2, I felt mildly nauseated when I tried to eat anything. Altitude maybe? Although it was barely 9000'.

#185907 - 06/23/14 11:10 PM Re: shivering, but not cold [Re: squark]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
All of the above- altitude, dehydration, exhaustion, lack of food. Maybe you were cold but just too out of it to realize it. Almost sounds like you were sick (fever chills).

I am almost the opposite - often "feel" cold but skin is warm and no reason to feel cold. The culprit often is a draft down the back of my neck. For some reason that really makes me feel cold.

#185913 - 06/24/14 02:32 AM Re: shivering, but not cold [Re: squark]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
It does sound like dehydration to me! Dehydration can be a prime contributor to hypothermia, of which shivering is often the first sign. It's a myth that you can develop hypothermia only when it's below freezing! Dehydration also greatly exacerbates altitude sickness. You need to force yourself to take in fluid.

What kind of sleeping pad do you have? 40*F is where I start feeling really cold in an uninsulated air pad, and the mid-30's in a standard NeoAir.

Exhaustion can be another factor, complicated--or caused by--by altitude and dehydration.

Or, as W_D says, you may actually have been ill. Or, worse yet, a combination of all these factors!

A few things I've found that help me:

--Using an electrolyte replacement mix in my drinking water. I actually drink less water, feel more satisfied and have far less of my usual problem of water "going in one end and out the other." Such a mix is even more important if my appetite is on the fritz. Not eating can upset your body's mineral balance in a hurry! It also helps me overcome nausea.

--Vigorous exercise at bedtime to get the metabolism cranked up in preparation for warming up the sleeping bag.

--Eating something at bedtime.

--I finally broke down and bought an Exped 7 UL Downmat, which I'll take when nightime temps may get below 40*F. Yes, it adds about a quarter pound to my pack weight, but the warmth and comfort are well worth both the weight and the $$$!

Your mileage, of course, may vary!

Edited by OregonMouse (06/24/14 02:30 PM)

#185926 - 06/24/14 06:07 PM Re: shivering, but not cold [Re: OregonMouse]
squark Offline

Loc: SF bay area, CA
Thanks WD and OM -

sleeping pad = Exped Synmat UL7. I had on wool baselayers, socks, and my windjacket, but my dog had claimed my puffy jacket for the night. Bag was Feathered Friends Vireo. I just found it odd that I didn't feel cold, given that I always feel cold, even sitting around at home at 60 degrees.

exhaustion: I usually don't sleep my first night away from home; that held true here.

dehydration: yes, truly sounds like the primary culprit. I have the in-one-end-out-the-other issue too. I hadn't had much luck against it using electrolyte replacements at home, but for something like this it might have helped. I may also go back to using a bladder system. It's a pain wrestling the reservoir in and out of the pack for refills, but I can't wrangle a water bottle and hiking pole and leash with just two hands.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum