Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118710 - 07/25/09 03:21 AM Bear Vault Fails Again
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html?hp

Now we just have to wait until their approval is revoked, again. It looks like BV's business model relies on selling you a new one every few months to replace the designs that fail.

I've got an original one with the replacement lid that isn't good for parts of the Sierra anymore. Good thing I haven't replaced it yet as these newer models will no doubt lose their certification as soon as this story gets around.

Edited by TomD (07/25/09 03:27 AM)

#118715 - 07/25/09 10:02 AM Re: Bear Vault Fails Again [Re: TomD]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, this bear has been opening Bear Vaults in the Marcy Dam area of the Adirondacks for several years, as mentioned in the story, and Bear Vaults haven't been allowed there. Evidently it has taken this long for the NY Times to get the word. I'm fairly sure that I first read about the Marcy Dam bear on this site!

It just proves my long-standing contention that, in the long term, bears are smarter than inventors of bear-proof containers!

#118720 - 07/25/09 01:14 PM Re: Bear Vault Fails Again [Re: TomD]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By TomD

Now we just have to wait until their approval is revoked, again. It looks like BV's business model relies on selling you a new one every few months to replace the designs that fail.

In all fairness to Bear Vault, they replaced my old non-approved (in certain areas) canister with a brand new BV 350 at no charge. Not just a lid, a brand new canister. That was 2006. I have now been using that fully approved canister for 3 years.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#118724 - 07/25/09 02:19 PM Re: Bear Vault Fails Again [Re: Trailrunner]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I talked to someone at REI a while back who told me they wouldn't take mine back. I have a feeling that is incorrect but I haven't pressed the point, yet.

#118728 - 07/25/09 03:07 PM Re: Bear Vault Fails Again [Re: TomD]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
BV replaced mine free of charge at a ranger station, not a store. The REI employee was partially correct.

In '06 BV began a free exchange program in areas where they had lost approval. The local ranger stations (in my case the interagency visitor center in Lone Pine) were stocked with replacements. Anyone drawing a permit for the specific areas where approval had been rescinded was given a free exchange. This exchange program is still in effect and is explained on the BV website.

The free exchange program is limited in scope. But the relatively small, specific areas where the BV lost approval are also small in scope. Anyone traveling outside those areas doesn't need the new model. The older original BV's are still fully approved in almost all areas. Quoting the website:
"There are currently no restrictions on the use of these model BearVaults elsewhere in SIBBG controlled areas- they can be used throughout the Sierras and all other locations."

As a side note, most if not all of the failures that resulted in the partial ban of older models took place within the confines of Kings Canyon National Park. Yet the park's website mentions no distinction between the 350 (approved everywhere) model and the older models that are not approved for certain areas within the park.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#118750 - 07/26/09 01:04 PM Re: Bear Vault Fails Again [Re: Trailrunner]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
I had my BV200 replaced with the BV500 earlier this year by a BV dealer located somewhere in Sandiego. Will use it in a couple weeks for the first time so hopefully the JMT bears are slower learners....

#118760 - 07/26/09 04:58 PM Re: Bear Vault Fails Again [Re: TomD]
lori Offline

I've had a BV350/400 for about a year... the lid sometimes screws off without needing the tab pressed in. I emailed about getting just a new lid, and they asked for my address. I was expecting to pay a small amount but I guess they're going to replace it.

I've used my canister in Yosemite and Sequoia, and a few times in other wilderness areas, and strange to say it's never been played with (knock on wood). We are going up to Thousand Island Lake in a week so I am renting a Bearikade. I hear the bears are pretty bad up there.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#118763 - 07/26/09 05:29 PM Re: Bear Vault Fails Again [Re: Trailrunner]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I had mine replaced for free too --- I met the owner at the PCT kickoff event last spring, and he and his crew were really nice folks. If you look at the specifics of this situation, they've got a great product with specific advantages that they're aggressive about improving anytime a problem occurs.

It's true the old tried & true black Garcia model isn't failing anywhere, but the areas of failure for the also widely used BV are quite small. Rae Lakes caused one upgrade, and now this one bear colony somewhere else. Period, as far as I know. And at a similar price point to the Garcia (Bearikade is much more expensive) the bearvault models make it a lot easier to pack the can with a wider opening, clear plastic body, and not having to worry about finding a coin or similar tool whenever you want to open the can, plus the BV models are waterproof --- after standing my Garcia upright in the rain one time I quickly learned to leave it upside down if rain was possible, but I also suspect that the threaded cap design of the BV means not just keeping rain out but letting less odors escape.

I don't mean to be a major BV apologist here, but I've been happy and still am happy with mine, and again --- I felt their customer service was outstanding, and I always like to see that sort of thing rewarded.

#118768 - 07/26/09 07:27 PM Re: Bear Vault Fails Again [Re: BrianLe]
lori Offline

I don't think the BV is waterproof. If ants make their way into mine, I'm betting that a dip in the lake would make for a swim to retrieve my food. It's probably rainproof, as rain generally falls rather than climbs.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#118777 - 07/26/09 11:21 PM Something to consider [Re: TomD]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
None of the canisters sold are "bear proof". They are "animal resistant".
In nearly all cases a bear will give up and find something easier - the issue being in a bear that learns how to get around it. That behavior can and does get shared to the offspring.

Keeping a clean camp and scaring off bears is something that we shouldn't forget how to do - even with canisters. We must not let a bored bear sit there and have the time to figure out how the food jug works......

#118783 - 07/27/09 11:32 AM Re: Something to consider [Re: sarbar]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
Well if I was a bear knowing what I know, I would be one fat bear... I'll stick with my BV for now, and it nice to know they still back up there product...

#125744 - 12/23/09 07:38 AM Re: Something to consider [Re: intrek38]
klw2 Offline

Loc: minnesota
Anyone try the Counter Assault Bear Keg ?

#125979 - 12/28/09 05:17 PM Re: Something to consider [Re: klw2]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Not yet but did read the reviews. I am interested too but wow 3.5 POunds plus, it is heavy!

#126031 - 12/29/09 02:27 PM Re: Something to consider [Re: intrek38]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Yeah, I'd use a Bearvault too, so long as it's approved. Other canisters may be stronger, but I think being able to see inside it is awesome.

#132539 - 04/22/10 06:21 PM Re: Bear Vault Fails Again [Re: TomD]
CamperHiker Offline

Loc: UT
With bears involved, where there is a will there is a way, and bears always have a will toward food.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum