The tech has changed so much since I bought my Golite jacket 5 years ago and my Wild Things belay jacket 10 years ago. And I'm not sure what I want now.

I'm a dog walker and I walk NYC streets from 7am-4pm most weekdays. I walk around 10 miles/day, stopping and starting, going in and out of buildings every 30 minutes. So I often get sweaty and then have to go back outside in the cold. I do okay with poly layers and synthetic jackets and a rain shell over it when necessary. But my Golite jacket is falling apart now.

I'm 6', with 42" chest, 33-34" waist, 29" hips, 15.5" neck, 35" sleeve.

My budget is around $200 and I'd like a jacket I can use from the 50s down to the 20s (with a layer underneath). I do NOT need packability. Ultralight is not a priority.

I can always add a rain shell if needed. Wind-resistance would be a plus but isn't super-essential. Last week and this week it's been 30F in the mornings and windy low 40s as the high. So I'd like something that can handle that (with a shirt and maybe a thin layer underneath if needed). Hand/Napoleon/Inside pockets are a Good Thing.

I was looking into active stretch synthetic jacket hoodies, which I've learned are now a thing - thinking they might be better for dissipating heat and sweat when I go indoors/outdoors/indoors.

Was looking at the Black Diamond First Light but the sizing chart puts me in a M for hips/waist and L for neck/chest, and only the XL goes up to a 34.5 sleeve but the others are shorter so I'm thinking that just won't work for me.

Am also looking at jackets like the Patagonia Nano-Air Hoodie (sizing puts me right into a L), the OR Cathode Hoodie and OR Uberlayer and OR Winter Ferrosi, the Rab Xenon X, and the Arcteryx Atom LT.

Not a fan of Mountain Hardwear (had a REALLY bad customer service experience with them once).

Ideas? Suggestions? Am I looking at the right type of jacket?

Edited by MoBetta (03/11/18 06:29 PM)