What gear does your dog carry? I've realized that mine carries a lot more weight than he probably needs to, and I'd like to cut down.

For reference, here's Archimedes taking a break on a hot day on the Bold Coast in Maine:

His current gear list:

Ruff Wear Approach Pack
15' tieout (you can see it in the picture)
5' Leash
Fleece (made from an old one of mine with the sleeves cut off)
Food (1 lbs per day, kept in a plastic bag)
1 liter of water in a 1.2 oz soda bottle
Hair brush
Mini-frisbee for a water/food bowl and games of fetch

For now, I'll probably keep the mini-frisbee, soda bottle, and leash. The pack is something I plan to keep until he destroys it. The fit is great, and it's bombproof, which I think is pretty important for a dog.

I feel like the other equipment is pretty essential, but I could probably switch it out for lighter versions.

I'd like to get him a better fleece or jacket, but haven't found a lightweight one that I like enough yet. Any suggestions?

The hairbrush is a heavy one. I can definitely switch that out. However, he sheds so much that it's worth brushing him before I let him in the Tarptent. Again, I'd love any suggestions. Maybe a cheap plastic comb would suffice for backpacking trips. I'm not sure.

The tieout is heavy, but I need something he can't chew through and I want to give him room to stretch his legs around camp without letting him offleash. Any suggestions here?

His leash is also pretty heavy. It's thick, because he's got a bad habit of biting through them when I'm not looking. Not sure if I've got another option here.

I'd love any advice, and to see your pups' gear lists!

-Nate

Edited by Knaight (10/20/09 08:52 PM)