Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198469 - 06/14/17 08:26 AM Tent Footprint
SQWIB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I am looking to cut a few ounces on my shelter.
I have a Copper Spur UL2, the footprint weighs over 7 ounces
The advertised weight of 5 oz. is BS anyhow I will not setup my tent without a footprint, so leaving it out of my gear is not an option. I also will not use a polycro sheet, it needs to be durable.
I was wondering if Tyvec of the same size would be lighter, If I can save three ounces I will be happy.

Also if Tyvec is an option, where can I get a Tyvec sheet?

Thanks

#198471 - 06/14/17 10:45 AM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: SQWIB]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have never used a footprint and have never had problems! IMHO, footprints are greatly overrated and are mainly a money-making scam for the tent companies and outdoor stores.

If you're not convinced that a footprint is unnecessary, a polycro sheet will last a season or more. It's plenty durable enough. After all, polycro storm windows are designed to last through a stormy winter.

#198473 - 06/14/17 11:03 AM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: OregonMouse]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Ditto everything OM said, however per your request places like Home Depot sell Tyvek Home wrap. I'm not sure if you can buy it in small enough quantities to be reasonable for you. Tarptent sells precut ground sheets (made from home wrap). You could see if one matches the dimensions you are looking for:

https://www.tarptent.com/store/tyvek-groundsheet

They also list the weights... they look to be in the 5-7 oz range so you probably won't drop half the weight.

You can also look into Tyvek kite material. A higher end, softer material. I think it might not be as waterproof as home wrap though, so I am not sure how it would perform as a footprint.

#198476 - 06/14/17 02:27 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: SQWIB]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
A forumite turned me on to "kite" Tyvek, similar to housewrap but a bit thinner with a soft finish--not crinkly. I don't typically take footprints but use this stuff with floorless shelters and beneath my Fly Creek Platinum, which has floor fabric simply too thin for anything but forest duff and meadows.

Available from Amazon in varying lengths. One bolt is basically a lifetime supply.

#198477 - 06/14/17 03:56 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: SQWIB]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Like most others, I don't use a footprint; never have. I will sometimes carry it (mostly in mud or snow), but end up using it for other things: flooring in the vestibule, something to sit on at breaks or in camp, and (fair weather and no bugs permitting) leave the tent body at home and use it with the poles and fly only to create a tarp like shelter.

I've used the Copper Spur, about 3 years ago, and never used a ground cloth. Camped in the forest, and never had a problem with abrasion or sharp sticks or rocks.

#198487 - 06/17/17 09:47 AM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: SQWIB]
edfardos Offline

Loc: CA
tyvek footprint for the ul2 came in at 6oz. buy short lengths on ebay for about 12 bucks, trim to fit.

#198495 - 06/18/17 07:29 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: SQWIB]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
What size are you looking for? I've got a few tyvek sheets I'll probably never use, could send you one for shipping charges only (so free, but you pay shipping).

#198522 - 06/21/17 10:48 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: SQWIB]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I've been down on tent footprints forever goodjob - never used one. In the old days tents had bullet proof floors, then someone found out it would be a few ounces lighter to use the same material on the floor as they use on the sides. lame So then they sold you a better floor and it weighed more.

Well anyway from a constructive point of view- smile If you winter camp and you get condensation problems, open a thin piece of painters plastic inside your tent before moving in. This tent liner will keep you dryer.

Yes Its true, we've done side by side and night after experiments with this. No matter how good the floor, either moisture comes through it or it virtually comes through by causing condensation under your sleeping bag.

Jim

#198533 - 06/22/17 02:30 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: Jimshaw]
SQWIB Offline

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
I've been down on tent footprints forever goodjob - never used one. In the old days tents had bullet proof floors, then someone found out it would be a few ounces lighter to use the same material on the floor as they use on the sides. lame So then they sold you a better floor and it weighed more.

Well anyway from a constructive point of view- smile If you winter camp and you get condensation problems, open a thin piece of painters plastic inside your tent before moving in. This tent liner will keep you dryer.

Yes Its true, we've done side by side and night after experiments with this. No matter how good the floor, either moisture comes through it or it virtually comes through by causing condensation under your sleeping bag.

Jim

I'm not worried about moisture I worry about puncturing the floor when kneeling and moving around in the tent.
Also I worry about popping a $220.00 air mattress.

After doing a bit of research I found that regular home wrap tyvec will weigh around the same and the kite tyvec would be about half of that weight but the Kite Tyvec comes with its own problems, So I guess its safe to say I need to shed weight somewhere else.

#198534 - 06/22/17 02:32 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: edfardos]
SQWIB Offline

Originally Posted By edfardos
tyvek footprint for the ul2 came in at 6oz. buy short lengths on ebay for about 12 bucks, trim to fit.

That's the home wrap correct?

#198535 - 06/22/17 02:33 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: JustWalking]
SQWIB Offline

Originally Posted By JustWalking
What size are you looking for? I've got a few tyvek sheets I'll probably never use, could send you one for shipping charges only (so free, but you pay shipping).

I appreciate it but if its home wrap, the weight savings is almost nil.

But thank you kindly for the offer.

#198542 - 06/22/17 07:58 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: SQWIB]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
No worries. To be honest, no idea if it's the home wrap, the sheets were purchased from backpacking sites to use as groundsheets.

#198564 - 06/24/17 08:47 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: SQWIB]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
The point I was making is that in the winter the plastic has to go inside, not under the tent. Jim thanks

#198571 - 06/25/17 10:38 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: SQWIB]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
My empirical data is kite Tyvek is enough to prevent rips in the FC Platinum mentioned above, which is what I'm after, i.e., have not mended any holes since using it.

Impervious? Not a chance but neither is housewrap. But a useful barrier.

For almost no money and weight you can try a painter's dropcloth.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum