Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192463 - 11/08/15 12:39 PM treckking poles
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I have been backpacking for 30+ years and have always used trekking poles, for years only one and the last couple of years two. This fall I tried going without any and was amazed at how much easier the actual hiking was. I moved freer and used less energy. My stride seems more natural.I missed them in situations where I needed them for stability, like stream crossings but overall the experience has been positive. I will try it a few more times before I discard the poles but so far it looks like without may be the way to go for me. YMMV

#192465 - 11/08/15 01:17 PM Re: treckking poles [Re: GrumpyGord]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Interesting, to say the least. I started out using one pole, like Colin Fletcher (and since I didn't live in agave country, I used a "utility" handle from the local hardware store.) I switched to two, and like them, but I've tried hiking with one pole or no poles a few times, just for fun, and haven't been put off by it. As my load decreased from 25 to 20 to 16 pounds, I've questioned whether they're really necessary. Maybe I'll copy you, and give it a try.

#192466 - 11/08/15 02:17 PM Re: treckking poles [Re: Glenn Roberts]
bluefish Offline

I'm fully aware that trekking poles rob some energy and impede your stride, however, my knees that have seen 4 decades of working on roofs and hardwood floors would highly disagree that I discontinue their use. I'd be done without them, as would my wife, who suffers from some balance problems. They're not for everyone. I didn't use them until I hit 55. There is absolutely no way I'd be ln the middle of planning our third descent into the Grand Canyon without them. If you have healthy joints and no balance issues, they seem a little redundant.

#192467 - 11/08/15 03:33 PM Re: treckking poles [Re: bluefish]
Glenn Roberts Offline

As I've gotten older, I find I can't handle as rugged a terrain as I used to; accordingly, that's taken some of the pressure off my knees. However, passing years may bring that into play more and more - so I'm not ruling out the poles. Also, they prevent the mid-afternoon edema (right term?) that makes my hands feel puffy if I don't use them.

I'm torn - but I may experiment a bit.

#192468 - 11/08/15 03:57 PM Re: treckking poles [Re: Glenn Roberts]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I think that age and activity is a factor here. I find that at 75 my pace and distance is down to half what it was 30 years ago. My balance is not what it was and therefore I proceed much more cautiously. In the past I also noticed the edema but now that you mention it I have not noticed it lately but that is probably due to shorter less intense hiking. Getting older is not a bad thing but it certainly changes how and why we do things but that is a discussion for the over the hill section.

#192469 - 11/08/15 05:58 PM Re: treckking poles [Re: GrumpyGord]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I now use two poles; for many years I only used one. If I am negotiating rough rocky trail, I use them because the consequences of falling are worse at my age (78) than when I was younger and also because my stability has decreased. I also use the poles to help on steep uphill sections and where water bars form high steps. For normal walking and for downhill, I just carry them in one hand like a fishing pole. The poles interfere with my normal stride so I only use them for assistance on steep uphill and for fall-prevention.

Last spring I did use the poles on a few stretches going down the Hermit Trail in the Grand Canyon but not at all coming out on the Bright Angel Trail. When I walked the West Highland Way in Scotland last July, I didn't use poles at all.

#192470 - 11/08/15 06:01 PM Re: treckking poles [Re: GrumpyGord]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Yeah, it's funny. I sometimes leave them on the pack day hiking unless it's a really lousy trail or I'm going downhill. Or late in the day when I'm fatigued. I like having my hands free for taking pictures.

Month or so ago I hiked down a river canyon then back up, leaving the poles on the pack. No problem. Until the next day when one of my knees yelled at me for the next week. Correlation? Probably, since I "don't" get knee problems, it's ankles I'm watching out for. Lesson learned. If my car had a manual transmission I couldn't have pressed the clutch pedal.

#192471 - 11/08/15 06:26 PM Re: treckking poles [Re: Rick_D]
Glenn Roberts Offline

The remark about leaving them on the pack just reminded me: we're the same folks that went to see Walk in the Woods and wondered why Bill and Katz never used the poles they had lashed to their packs! smile

#192472 - 11/09/15 11:42 AM Re: treckking poles [Re: GrumpyGord]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"I will try it a few more times before I discard the poles but so far it looks like without may be the way to go for me."

I'm usually a two-stick hiker, but on pretty flat stretches of good trail I'll more commonly carry the poles without using them.

I just came back from hiking the Camino de Santiago in Spain and was glad that I did that without poles. There are a few days/situations there where poles would be nice; I did this more so that I could get by without checking baggage, but really I found it was just a great way to go.

I'll continue to use poles on more "normal" (U.S. style backpacking) trails.

Each to their own!

#192996 - 12/28/15 05:00 AM Re: treckking poles [Re: BrianLe]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
Thinking of a fun trip down the Speyside Way hooking up with the Moray Coast Trail in Scotland and I was wondering if I really needed poles with the 10-15lb pack I'm envisioning carrying.

Was there much rough ground up and down on the Camino or the West Highland Way? Found the poles mighty handy for those steep ascents and descents on some trails or where the trail has left you!

Also the distances projected on these trails seems to be 5-10 miles per day. That doesn't seem like it is too strenuous for long-distance backpacking folks who are used to doing twice that much on a regular basis.

Only problem might be continuing the walk after the distillery tours! Poles might come in handy then, or a good stout walking staff cut from the willows.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 78 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum