Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185342 - 05/24/14 05:16 PM Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals
Mr. Jowee Offline

I'm going to an area in a few weeks that guarantees several knee high creek crossings, so I wanted something that would protect my feet from rocks and sticks, and maybe serve as a camp shoe at the end of the day. These look like they'll fit the bill pretty well. With a claimed weight of 3.4oz for the pair I think I can manage. They are constructed of neoprene, with either rubber or silicone bumps on the bottom for traction. They can be stored completely flat, something I haven't seen any other sandals do. Unlike plop-plops these stay secure to the wearers heal, and I've never seen flip flops this light. Pretty cheap, too.

I bought mine here. http://www.gofastandlight.com/Walk-On-Small-Mauve-The-One-Piece-Camp-Slipper-Shoe/productinfo/CL%2DFLOP/

Company website: http://www.flopeeze.com

#185343 - 05/24/14 06:24 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: Mr. Jowee]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Interesting design. They look good for the pool and beach, and even a camp shoe, but I'll have to hear how they do in your crossings.

I suspect your heel would slide out of them in some cases and rocks and pebbles will get under your foot pretty easy, but that may not be a big deal if you can right them with just a shake of your foot.

Thanks for sharing!

"You want to go where?"

#185347 - 05/24/14 07:14 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: billstephenson]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Bill, you said almost precisely every thought that crossed my mind as soon as I saw the photo. They look OK as camp shoes (which I don't carry), but they might be problematic for stream crossings, due to a possible tendency to slip sideways or to pick up gravel.

#185353 - 05/24/14 09:44 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Or stubbing toes on rocks, which in an icy stream you won't feel until you reach the other side and your feet start to un-numb! Ow!!!

#185354 - 05/24/14 10:14 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Or are bleeding after exiting the cold water.

#185355 - 05/24/14 10:20 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: rockchucker22]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Those soles look really, really thin to me - before you take them on a trip, go find a rocky path, or some other sharp-edged gravel (not smooth, round rocks) and walk around on it for a while. I suspect those soles won't do anything to cushion the beating your feet take.

Don't be bewitched by the 3-ounce weight: in our rush to lighten up, we often forget that 3 ounces of useless gear is worse than a pound of useful gear. (I'm as guilty as anyone of falling into that trap.) I tried water shoes and other UL footgear that didn't actually keep rocks and sticks from pushing up into the bottom of my foot. Now I gladly carry Teva sandals if I'm going to need to wade across streams. Heavy, yes, but they actually do what I need them to do.

#185358 - 05/24/14 11:08 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: OregonMouse]
Mr. Jowee Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Or stubbing toes on rocks, which in an icy stream you won't feel until you reach the other side and your feet start to un-numb! Ow!!!

...in June? lol

#185359 - 05/24/14 11:27 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: Mr. Jowee]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It depends on where you hike. Believe it or not there are streams swollen with recent snowmelt that are icy cold in June. Most of them are not in Ohio. smile However, the Sierras in CA or the North Cascades in WA are a different story. eek

#185361 - 05/25/14 04:11 AM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: aimless]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Friends of mine live in Mammoth. They were still skiing about a week ago. I would never wear anything like these to cross a serious river or stream. When I was in NZ, I always wore my boots when crossing rivers; way too dangerous otherwise. Once across, I took them off, dumped out the water, wrung out my socks (wool or Patagonia mix), then put them back on and kept walking. Risking falling in a river with a heavy pack on or getting cut up feet in the boonies is foolish as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by TomD (05/25/14 04:12 AM)

#185367 - 05/25/14 06:23 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: Mr. Jowee]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I went whitewater rafting in mid July in western Carolina and wore a wetsuit. That water cold!!!

#185404 - 05/27/14 01:57 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: ETSU Pride]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Every stream I have crossed, be it June or August...has been painfully cold. Like standing in ice water...but with a fast current.

#185408 - 05/27/14 04:10 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: finallyME]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By finallyME
Every stream I have crossed, be it June or August...has been painfully cold. Like standing in ice water...but with a fast current.

That was one of the things that got me when hiking the Sierras. Some of those pools of water are so clear and beautiful, and it would be pretty darn hot sometimes, but that water would suck the breath right out of you and turn you blue if you jumped in.

Our streams that are mainly spring fed will stay cold all summer, but others will get downright hot sometimes.

"You want to go where?"

#185416 - 05/28/14 01:37 AM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: Mr. Jowee]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
They look pretty cool, but down side as a camp shoe is in colder climates (at night) when you want to keep your feet warm, you can't really wear a pair of heavier wool socks with them, unlike Crocs, since they use a big toe strap or band to keep them on.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#185417 - 05/28/14 02:37 AM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: finallyME]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I fell over once crossing a river up at Arthur's Pass, NZ with a heavy pack on. I fell straight forward and wound up with the water (full on glacier melt) kind of on my hands and knees with water running just under my chest. Fortunately, I had my boots on and was able to get back on my feet - before the days when I started carrying trekking poles - I could barely breathe it was so cold. One reason I won't wear anything that looks like flip flops.

Edited by TomD (05/28/14 02:39 AM)

#185420 - 05/28/14 08:41 AM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: TomD]
bluefish Offline

As a cut foot can ruin a trip, they're too light for my use. On trips with known crossings I either use trail runners with lightweight neoprene socks or I have my Crocs, which are designed for wading and have a full back and adjust tight on your feet. I remove the insole from my trail runners when I cross, so have dry socks and insoles. I've also walked my trail runners dry, but prefer a little more comfort. I'd wear the Flopeeze around a clean camp, but I'd rather save even their light weight if they serve no other purpose.

#185429 - 05/28/14 11:53 AM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: Mr. Jowee]
The Chef Offline

New balance I think has a better option at 3.7 oz.
For around camp any maybe not the pool

http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-HI-REZ/MR1,default,pd.html?dwvar_MR1_color=Black_with_Silver_and_Grey

#186832 - 08/26/14 08:18 PM Re: Flopeeze WalkOns camp shoes/sandals [Re: finallyME]
Mr. Jowee Offline

Well I was pretty happy with these guys. Fantastic camp shoe and they held up just fine for stream crossings. They will get sand under your feet if it's really sandy though, so they may not be a good option for a desert or sandy beach.

Originally Posted By finallyME

If it's always that cold, do people even bother gong swimming? This was in the Bankhead National Forest in Alabama. Temps were in the 60's at night and 70's during the day. The water was no exception; it was a mild temperature, nothing like what you have experienced.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum