Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185209 - 05/20/14 07:21 PM Recommendations for Study Abroad?
SuperTune Offline

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and looking for a little help. I'm going to be studying abroad next semester and am looking for opinions about a pack that I can use when I make smaller trips (i.e. I've landed in my destination and am taking a trip for a weekend or so). I'm looking for something that will be comfortable and capable of carrying the necessities for a ~4 day trip, but can also fit into my luggage/work as a carry-on. Thanks for any help!

#185210 - 05/20/14 07:25 PM Re: Recommendations for Study Abroad? [Re: SuperTune]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
This is not a travel forum. If you look at the topics, you'll see that we are into "backpacking" as wilderness trekking, not budget travel. While most of us have traveled, our knowledge is not necessarily current.

You may want to try travel forums such as Lonely Planet.

#185212 - 05/20/14 07:31 PM Re: Recommendations for Study Abroad? [Re: OregonMouse]
SuperTune Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
This is not a travel forum. If you look at the topics, you'll see that we are into "backpacking" as wilderness trekking, not budget travel. While most of us have traveled, our knowledge is not necessarily current.

You may want to try travel forums such as Lonely Planet.

But I have to imagine that the actual pack would be something that backpackers are more familiar with, like a daypack. I need something that is durable and efficient, and I figure that backpackers would be experts at durable and efficient.

#185219 - 05/20/14 08:33 PM Re: Recommendations for Study Abroad? [Re: SuperTune]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
True, but I've done both and the requirements are different depending on the kind of travel you will be doing. For bus, train or plane, I'd get a pack with wheels and a handle, like a carryon with straps.
Like this-
Eagle Creek pack

The lightweight gear backpackers carry will get ripped to shreds by luggage handling equipment and careless baggage handlers. I put my pack in a big duffle bag for protection when flying.

Edited by TomD (05/20/14 08:39 PM)

#185220 - 05/20/14 09:27 PM Re: Recommendations for Study Abroad? [Re: TomD]

There are small packs that are basically just nylon duffel bags with shoulder straps that roll up to a small size. I used one as a day pack for my last few European trips (I carried it on my chest when my backpack got too full of souvenirs, wine, etc.). However, this would only be suitable if you were carrying it all the time--as Tom says, it's far too fragile to trust to baggage handlers. Whether this would work for what you'd want to carry for a weekend, it's hard to say. It would basically just carry toilet articles, spare socks and a jacket. I can't give you recommendations because I bought mine 22 years ago from a firm that's now out of business.

And Tom is right--I would never, never trust any of my backpacking gear to baggage handlers. For traveling, I used a convertible travel backpack. It has internal stays and a hipbelt so is comfy to carry. The shoulder straps and hibbelt can be zipped behind a panel both for airline travel and to look like a regular suitcase if I want to stay in a hotel instead of a hostel. It is twice as heavy as the pack I use for backpacking! It is an REI house brand bought in 1992. I have used it for all kinds of travel and it still looks as good as new. I have no idea if REI is still making this model.

I still think you'll get better recommendations from a travel site.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/20/14 09:36 PM)

#185246 - 05/21/14 01:39 PM Re: Recommendations for Study Abroad? [Re: SuperTune]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
A jansport bookbag.

Jansport Backpack

#185643 - 06/09/14 03:54 PM Re: Recommendations for Study Abroad? [Re: SuperTune]

Super Tune, if you're still here--I just spotted this relatively new item on the Gossamer Gear website: Quiksak. 8.1 oz., about 23 L capacity, looks as though it will roll up quite small.

Obviously not for public transit baggage handlers, but small enough to carry with you for overnighters.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/09/14 03:56 PM)

#185651 - 06/09/14 07:25 PM Re: Recommendations for Study Abroad? [Re: OregonMouse]
bluefish Offline

Lots of smaller backpacks work as excellent carry-ons and many people use then as such. My wife carries an Osprey Kestrel 28 and we use it as a carry-on. It's plenty tough enough to place under an airline seat or up in the bins. Most backpacks under 60 liters, if not filled, will fall under the size requirements for carry on luggage. You can then comfortably use the pack for treks up to a week, especially if you're staying in hostels, or not carrying lots of food. Osprey and Granite Gear are my favorite packs, but there's many out there.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum