Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168801 - 08/27/12 10:07 PM Need A 3P Tent Recommendation (20-40°)
ryevick Offline

Of course the lighter the better... I just bought the Marmot Limelight 3P and though I love the 2 door design and other features, it is a lot of mesh... I also just bought the Mr. Heater Buddy Heater 4,000/9,000 BTU MH9BX hoping that I might be able to find a different 3 season tent that might be able to hold up better in cooler temps. I have not even taken the Marmot out of the box yet and I have read a review from someone that said it did fine in cold temps but I just can't believe that. I may wind up keeping it and just buying a second tent for colder weather. I really want a 2 door 3P tent. If I'm buying a second tent I suppose I could do $175-$250 but if I could find one that meet my needs for warmth while also being cool when I need it to be that doesn't gather a lot of condensation and has some privacy "curtains" while still allowing for night time star gazing I'd go $300 or so. For what I want a 4 season would be too much. Oh yeah I'm 6'4"... suggestions? I'm looking at maybe a Eureka but just really starting to look, thanks.

#168805 - 08/28/12 02:11 AM Re: Need A 3P Tent Recommendation (20-40°) [Re: ryevick]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
OK, I'll have go...
Do you really intend to use that heater inside a 3 person tent like that Marmot or am I missing something here ?
Franco

#168809 - 08/28/12 09:10 AM Re: Need A 3P Tent Recommendation (20-40°) [Re: ryevick]
lori Offline

Boy, that looks like spam, but if it isn't...

Don't rely on tents for warmth, and leave the heater at home. Get good sleeping bags and pads.

Asphyxiating or burning the tent down (you don't want to know what it feels like to have melting nylon on your SKIN) would be REALLY BAD and very much a possibility. You would have to put the heater in the CENTER of the tent, on something nonflammable and hard, and try pretty hard not to brush the nylon shell of your sleeping bags against it. You'd have to not kick it over, where it would start to melt through the floor.

This is a bad idea. Don't do it. You'll note that "tent" is not included on the options for where you can use the heater....

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#168810 - 08/28/12 09:15 AM Re: Need A 3P Tent Recommendation (20-40°) [Re: lori]
lori Offline

If you absolutely have to have a heater in your tent, get a VERY LARGE and ventilated mid - a GoLite Shangri-La 5, or similar. It has no floor, and you can get the heater far enough from the sides and the two or three people you'll put around the perimeter.

There are also wood stoves for tents for backpacking. Look at Titanium Goat. You'll be less likely to have carbon monoxide issues - there are tents with an egress for the chimney built in to them.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#168813 - 08/28/12 10:03 AM Re: Need A 3P Tent Recommendation (20-40°) [Re: lori]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Are you car camping or backpacking? Backpacking tents aren't exactly meant to be insulated or used with heaters. (who would want to carry a heater anyway?!?!) Cabela carries very large tents that are compatible with a wood stove. That what you'll need if you want a tent with a heater in it. There also another brand that makes them smaller but I cannot remember the name of it. Google tent with woodstove.

I've slept in this tent: Big Agnes in 15 degrees winter weather and stayed plenty warm. (Noticed it got more screens than the Marmot.) Reason I was so warm was because of my sleeping pad and sleeping bag.

#168824 - 08/28/12 04:31 PM Re: Need A 3P Tent Recommendation (20-40°) [Re: ETSU Pride]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Take a look at Big Agnes Fly Creek 3 (you'll find it cheaper online if you google it). I'm seriously considering this as my next tent - definitely need a bigger lightweight backpacking tent for my son and myself.

MNS

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum