Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#167088 - 06/22/12 01:22 PM Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts
lostagain Offline

Loc: DFW, Texas
So I was sitting hre tinking about how to lighten the load of my summer sleep system: army poncho liner, silk SB liner, tyvek sheet, bug bivy, and either Big Agnes Clearview or Klymit X-frame, and army sleeping pad.

I started hunting on Ebay for something and saw this aluminized sleeping pad. Looks just like one of those windshield relector thingies and the light-bulb went off. I was thining about getting one at WallyWorld and seeing if it works as an effective ground pad.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy? (I'd be getting one meant for trucks, since that should cover about 3/4 the length of my 6'1")

#167090 - 06/22/12 01:30 PM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: lostagain]
Indy Offline

I can see some value in it. It weighs nothing, shouldn't allow body heat to seep into the ground, and folds up to about 3" thick.

Mine is about 3/8" thick, though, so it might be a bit uncomfortable.

#167093 - 06/22/12 02:23 PM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: lostagain]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Can't see the picture, in case you've posted one (might be blocked on my end) but I assume you're describing a bubble-wrap-type windshield cover with a metalized skin.

It might be comfortable as padding if thick enough--depends a lot on how hard and uneven the ground is. If it's simple bubble wrap the insulation will be poor, so don't count on it to keep you warm on frozen ground or in very cold weather. How cold? Depends a lot on your bag and metabolism.

The problem with bubble-type pads is the conductive heat transfer is very high, generally much higher than the radiated heat saved by the reflector. In warmer weather it might not be a problem, but for cold conditions I'd want to pair it with a thin foam pad, at least.

My $0.02.

Cheers,

#167095 - 06/22/12 02:34 PM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One question is whether you'd even be comfortable sleeping on something that thin. This is a question only you can answer!

#167099 - 06/22/12 03:08 PM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: lostagain]
lostagain Offline

Thanks guys. I don't intend to use it as a sleeping pad, but rather as a replacement for the GI foam pad which goes under my BA or Klymit pad. Not wanting it for comfort, but rather as a heat reflector when using either one of the blowup pads.

It's one of these.

#167100 - 06/22/12 03:22 PM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: lostagain]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have a lot of experience using bubble foil insulation while backpacking. In cold weather I always bring a piece for sitting on, and one for insulation under my sleeping bag, but I don't use it for a sleeping pad, there's just not enough padding for that on our hard ground.

"You want to go where?"

#167102 - 06/22/12 03:54 PM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: lostagain]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Oops, guess I misread your OP. It could offer a decent substitute. I'd place the foil on top, off the ground and you might even experiment with having the airmat underneath. note that it won't give the R-value of your foam pad.

Cheers,

#167126 - 06/23/12 08:19 AM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: Rick_D]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
I have a thermarest ridge rest foam type sleeping pad and I can't remember the exact weight but it's very light, and I don't even have the small size or have it cut down any. It's very comfortable but my only gripe is the bulk of it, I often snag the pad on branches in tight sections of trail.

I think a good nights sleep is more important than saving a few ounces though.

#167141 - 06/23/12 03:05 PM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: Cranman]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I think a good nights sleep is more important than saving a few ounces though

I endorse this opinion entirely.

When it comes to sleeping arrangements everyone has a different comfort level. But, if your sleeping bag or pad don't allow a good night's sleep, you've done something wrong and need to fix it. Poor sleep can lead to worse things, like poor judgement and poor decision making.

#167146 - 06/23/12 07:54 PM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: lostagain]
lostagain Offline

Thanks guys. It was, as I said, just a middle of the night idea. I wasn't really worried about the comfort factor since I was still going to use my air pads. The Klymit works really well inside my sleeping bag, and the BA is comfy, but in the summer here in Texas, we only have two temperatures, hot and hotter. IN July through about Mid-September, the average might temps are in the upper 70s to the mid 80s, so R factor isn't an issue. In fact getting cool in the night is a welcome thing sometimes. crazy

I think I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Certainly not something I'd consider for fall/winter/early spring outings.

#167213 - 06/25/12 01:20 PM Re: Had an idea for ground pad, need thoughts [Re: lostagain]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By lostagain
IN July through about Mid-September, the average might temps are in the upper 70s to the mid 80s, so R factor isn't an issue. In fact getting cool in the night is a welcome thing sometimes. crazy

By september here I'm normally used to -5C at night, easy. and it often freezes in July and August. It's almost always pleasantly cool in my mountains at night..

70s to 80s at night while sleeping? Shudder.. I suppose you can get used to anything but I think I'd be lying naked on the ground on a sheet of tyvek - or in my hammock.

(It wouldn't be pretty)

Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum