Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130698 - 03/14/10 06:47 PM Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?"
BorealHiker Offline

Loc: The Third Maine
http://www.thesyncpack.com/

I have thought about this for over a year. It could possibly be a solution for me, both for day hikes and for backpacking. I seem to remember there were once two sizes. If this is so, I probably would be interested in the smaller. (For camera, etc, things I like to have close at hand.)

Their on line store is closed. Temporarily? I don't know. Kind of didn't look good. I'm close to giving this a serious look.

The makers claim it counterbalances the load on the back, too. Thoughts on this welcome.

Hope it's not one of those most useless yuppie gear items!

Edited by BorealHiker (03/14/10 07:48 PM)

#130701 - 03/14/10 08:29 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
if youre looking at getting those take a look at these as well... might keep you cooler without that big thing in the middle of your chest.
http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/balance_pockets.html

#130708 - 03/14/10 09:25 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
On our AK trip last summer, three in our group used them. After the second day, two were swearing up a storm over how they were being gouged in the hip by it among other comments. Those two had not tried it out before our trip to fit it. Ask Fridge, Dub or ChinMusic over on TheBackpacker. Fridge may have been the only one at least a little satisfied with it. Kinda fiddly thing too.

#130710 - 03/14/10 09:38 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: Boomer]
BorealHiker Offline

Well now. Thanks! This does indeed give me something to chew over for a couple days, then I'll get back to you. Seems to accomplish much the same thing as the Synpack, but with innovations allowing, among other things, the view of one's feet. Hadn't thought of that.

Now the big question, can the front part of this system be added to existing packs, like the Syncpack, or is an entirely new system required? I'll pick through that entire site to find out.

#130711 - 03/14/10 09:43 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: hikerduane]
BorealHiker Offline

Valid concerns/complaints, I can see, but I'm not sure how the hip gouging came about. I know my anticipated use of such a pack would be LIGHT, in any event. The fiddly thing part, I can almost see already.

Sometimes I wish I lived near a major metro where such things can be seen, held, tried on, rather than relying on ordering. Privilege of living in the boonies, I guess.

#130712 - 03/14/10 09:44 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
Boomer Offline

i have not personally ever used them as my pack is too big as it is to justify bringing something like that with me because i can barely fill it as it is but i have seen a few reviews about the aarn packs which the snypack kinda remind me of. give it a look through!

#130714 - 03/14/10 10:05 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's too heavy for me to even consider it. At 2.2 pounds it weighs twice as much as the home made pack that I would be connecting it to.

A simple bag can be hung from the top of your pack frame or from your shoulder straps with just a little do-it-yourself effort. You should easily be able to hang a bag with twice the volume of the syncpack (only 400 cubic inches) and keep the weight well under a half pound.

#130719 - 03/15/10 01:14 AM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: DJ2]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Cannot comment on the Syncpack from experience , but adding that weight on a normal pack takes you over the weight of the Aarns.
Some have added the Aarn pockets to an existing pack but the system works much better than split.
The Aarn advantage is the gap in the middle, the fact that the pockets don't rest on your chest and the larger volume .
They share the counterbalance effect and ,possibly, the weight transfer to the hips.
A bit fiddly at the start but feels great once you get it right.
Franco
BTW, loads of video clips, hiots and tips on the site :
http://aarnpacks.com/

#130724 - 03/15/10 08:46 AM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
You can't see your foot placement also, a very valid concern on our trip over the tundra and rocky terrain where there was absolutely no trail.

#130726 - 03/15/10 09:49 AM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: hikerduane]
Redfacery Offline

Loc: NY
I've been looking into getting a Kelty Hawkeye Fanny Pack for use in day hikes from a base camp, and to have on the front when carrying my larger pack.

While I haven't tried it out or purchased it yet, it may serve your purpose. Weighs 26oz, but it comes in at 800ci, instead of the measly 400 of the syncpack (at 32oz). Not as much direct support as the syncpack, but you said you would be putting lightweight stuff in it.

#130727 - 03/15/10 09:52 AM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: hikerduane]
Boomer Offline

the syncpack looks like you have a baby carrier strapped to your chest with no baby

#130737 - 03/15/10 12:44 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
The subject of seeing your feet comes up now and then regarding front packs. The Aarn pack solves the problem by splitting the front pack into what looks like two large breasts. It must work or Nature would have rejected the design long ago.

I have used a single front bag for over ten years now, however, and have found the "can't see the feet" problem to be no problem at all.....for me. I've used it on trails and for cross country backpacking.

I think my natural tendency is to look at the trail a few feet ahead of me and that image then guides my feet safely through whatever is ahead. I don't really look directly down at my feet. If I want to look at something near my toes it is easy to look around the bag or pull the bag temporarily to one side to improve visibility. All of this just happened naturally. I don't recall having any trouble with it, even when I first started using the bag.

Perhaps Nature has dealt with this issue already. A person with a large belly (e.g. fat or pregnant) can't see his/her feet very well either......but he/she keeps on walking.

#130739 - 03/15/10 01:39 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: DJ2]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Never used a Syncpack but I have logged quite a few miles with a Dana Designs Wet Rib ,which is not nearly as big.

Yep, it's nice to have easy access to some of my stuff. I didn't buy it to distribute the load because my load is usually not very heavy. It has 3 distinct disadvantages:

1) It's hard to bend over to tie your shoe or pick something up.

2) If your route involves class 3 scrambling, crawling, or even a few tight squeezes, a chest pack becomes a liability.

3) It's hot and it makes my chest sweaty.

That being said, the wet rib does shine in cold weather when #3 is actually an advantage. And it's great for gloves and hats on those days when the sun is in and out of the clouds and the temps keep changing. My Wet Rib has been relegated pretty much to Winter use.

#130755 - 03/15/10 08:00 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: Redfacery]
BorealHiker Offline

The camera,(I think DSLR is the right term,) not an SLR w/ lenses, would be the heaviest single item by far. This gives me yet another option to check out. Thanks

Edited by BorealHiker (03/15/10 08:29 PM)

#130758 - 03/15/10 08:48 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
Boomer Offline

i would totally use an aarn if i had the need for one!

#130759 - 03/15/10 09:00 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: Boomer]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Forgot to mention, Aarn has 'photo" pockets coming out anytime now. They are waterproof and padded, somewhat similar in size to the 10L ones.
Here is the description :

* Fit on all models except Marathon & Mountain Magics
* Divided for camera body and 3 additional lenses.
* Separate waterproof Dri-liners for camera and each lens
* Separate zip entry for top and bottom compartments
* Foam stiffened for stability.
* 4 mesh exterior pockets, 1 map pocket
* Converts to a daypack with add-on shoulder straps
* One torso length fits all
* 500D cordura, 210D ripstop nylon
* Grey/black

Volume 14L + 2L / pair
Weight 470gm / pair?

I correspond occasionally with him but I am just a satisfied customer and a fan...
Franco

#130838 - 03/16/10 08:45 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: Trailrunner]
BorealHiker Offline

Thanks to all of you for these detailed posts and opinions. You have given me a lot to go over for the next month or so that I think I have before making a decision, or even a purchase.

I was going into this quest mostly for instant access of certain key items, and secondarily over weight balance matters. Now some of you have offered alternatives, so I have plenty to think about. THANKS!

#130851 - 03/16/10 11:52 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
Tangohkr Offline

Loc: Arizona
Redfacery, I use a fanny pack in front. I don't remember what brand (label is gone). It has worked out well for me. I keep my camera, some essentials, GPS, map and a snack inside. I don't know if it counterbalances my backpack, I've never noticed it that much. I use it because it's just so much easier to get to that stuff.

Good luck BorealHiker.

#130867 - 03/17/10 08:54 AM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: Tangohkr]
Redfacery Offline

Loc: NY
Maybe it's just that I stay very warm on trail, but I can't carry anything in my pockets while hiking, no matter how small, after only a few minutes anything creates really warm-chafey-spots, which is one reason I was looking at a fanny pack.

#130891 - 03/17/10 07:21 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: Tangohkr]
BorealHiker Offline

Well, the fanny pack. In front? Another option for me to explore. Thanks!

#130897 - 03/17/10 11:00 PM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Haven't used this but I have several Luxurylite packs which implement the same concept.

BTW, the "can't see your feet" argument is brought up mainly by people who have never done it.

#130949 - 03/19/10 01:42 AM the "Syncpack?" v.s. "Wet Rib" [Re: BorealHiker]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I have an old Dana Wet Rib that also attatches to the lower shoulder straps and carries a water bottle. But the nice thing about the Wet Rib is that it rides lower and thus is cooler to wear in summer.

True my Wet Rib isn't quite as large as the Syncpack but it does hold a lot. PLUS, I have my GPS in the left upper shoulder strap zippered pocket and a small digital camera in the right shoulder pocket. All this puts more weight in the front.

Eric

#130953 - 03/19/10 03:53 AM Re: Anyone know, or tried, the "Syncpack?" [Re: BorealHiker]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
That thing weighs more alone than my empty pack does.........

BF cool

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum