Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128629 - 02/11/10 02:31 PM Inflatable vs Foam
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
Why is it i see so many more people carrying a foam pad instead of an inflatable one? I grew up with foam but when i tried out an inflatable (Big Agnes insulated) manually inflated it has a ton more loft i feel like... What does everyone else use?

#128632 - 02/11/10 02:57 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Boomer]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I have mostly used foam. It didn't bother me until I got into my mid 20's. That is what drove me to hammocks. But, I just bought (two days ago) a BA insulated pad. I am going to use it this weekend. I sleep on my side, and I can't do that comfortably with 3 foam pads stacked on top of each other.

#128638 - 02/11/10 04:02 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Boomer]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I use both and each has its advantages. Inflatables win in the comfort category, hands down. But when I need:

1) Small volume to fit inside my bivy or

2) A frame for my frameless pack that doubles as a sleeping pad or

3) Something dependable and bombproof that won't fail me in the middle of the night or

4) A litte extra insulation in Winter.

Then.....I reach for my trusty old Ridgerest or my cheapo Walmart blue foam pad. I'm lucky. At 52 my old bones can still sleep pretty well on a relatively thin closed cell foam pad.

#128639 - 02/11/10 04:13 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Trailrunner]
Ken the Bear Offline

Loc: St Louis
plus the ridgerest is lighter by a good amount

#128640 - 02/11/10 04:26 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Boomer]
lori Offline

Pick up a foam pad sometime and note how light it is. If you want light and cheap above all else, including comfort, the foam pad is The Thing.

I use the hammock, or a NeoAir, myself.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#128642 - 02/11/10 04:46 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Boomer]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I went full circle...and am back to foam. Three Thermorests, all serving me well, all eventually leaked over the years, have been replaced by Ridgerests. Ridgerests seem warmer, don't slide around in my hammock, do double duty as my pack frame, can't go flat, are much lighter, and cost 1/4th what inflatables cost.
I'll use the Thermorest inflatables when sleeping on a hard floor, or in the back of the SUV.

#128645 - 02/11/10 05:01 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Boomer]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Boomer
Why is it i see so many more people carrying a foam pad instead of an inflatable one? I grew up with foam but when i tried out an inflatable (Big Agnes insulated) manually inflated it has a ton more loft i feel like... What does everyone else use?

Foam is much lighter than most inflatables. Foam works better as underinsulation in hammocks. I use foam because I hammock and it's lighter.

I do use a big agnes insulated inflatable in the winter, on the ground.

Browse my pictures

#128648 - 02/11/10 07:24 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Boomer]
Boomer Offline

thankyou everyone!

#128684 - 02/12/10 05:36 AM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Dryer]
frediver Offline

Insul-air mat over or under a z-rest depending on conditions. much more comfortable than thermarest, cheaper and lighter weight.

#128728 - 02/12/10 07:32 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam(BOTH?) [Re: finallyME]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I own several Thermarest inflatable matresses (& returned a Neo-Air. Long story.).

Also I have a RidgeRest CCF.

For summer camping I use Thermarest's 1st lightweight inflatable, the "Lite", reg. length. It's over 10 years old but still works well even at 25 F..

But, for week long winter trips I'd take the Trail Pro AND the RidgeRest because after several days you get so much vapor in the Trail Pro that it loses much of its insulative value.

CLEARLY Cascade Designs/Thermarest needs a lightweight pump to attatch to their Thermarest mattress valves to keep breath vapor out during winter use.

Eric

#128784 - 02/13/10 07:47 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam(BOTH?) [Re: 300winmag]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Eric,
Have you thought about getting an Exped Downmat?
I got one on winter sale last year from MooseJaw for $69. It comes with a double layer stuff sack that doubles as a air pump.

I checked the size of the valve on a ThermaRest and it is smaller than what is on the Exped. So, you couldn't just get a stuff sack to use with your TR.

The Exped Downmat 7 weighs about 34 oz. I really enjoy having it on winter campouts.

#129044 - 02/17/10 01:48 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Boomer]
Redfacery Offline

Loc: NY
I've been considering getting a 1/4" Thinlite for a couple of reasons.

First, I will be using it for a month-long trip, and want a pad that is thick enough to serve as a primary insulator if I end up on the ground.

Second, I have been hammocking for the last few years, and just recently upgraded to a double layered hammock. On the trip, I would plan on mostly using the hammock, so the Thinlite would stay there.

I was wondering how successful the thinlite really is in removing the back-chilling breeze? I have an old inflatable pad that does the trick when I sleep on the ground, but wasn't planning on using it. I won't be trying to use the thinlite as any part of my backpack.

Second I guess, is the wide really necessary, or will a regular width be enough to stop the breeze in the hammock?

Best,
Redfacery

#129048 - 02/17/10 03:35 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Redfacery]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I can't comment on whether 1/4" is warm enough as I have never used a pad that thin. I use either a 3/8 blue foam (doubled) or an older thermarest. 20" wide is not wide enough for me in a hammock if the temps drop below about 50F. My shoulders and sides get cold and I need to use a second, short pad set sideways to wrap around my shoulders and arms.

#129104 - 02/18/10 02:27 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: thecook]
Redfacery Offline

Loc: NY
The 20" width I expect would be a problem for me as well, which is why I would get the wide one. I would plan on folding it to be 20" wide if I ended up on the ground I guess.

Yeah, my experience has also been anything below 45-50F and the breeze needs to be proactively dealt with.

#129207 - 02/20/10 10:41 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Boomer]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
So...not to hijack a thread, but I just returned from my first aborted winter camping trip. I learned the valuable lesson that 30F may be warmer than the nighttime temps you've been having, but it's still 30 degrees!

For three-season trips I've been using a full-length Ridgerest without problems. I started to look at the GG Nightlite torso-length pad to add for winter trips, or to use alone for three-season trips. What do you all use for a winter pad system, and why did you choose that particular combo?

#129213 - 02/21/10 12:43 AM winter pads [Re: gorge_medic]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
I use an older Thermarest Ultralite, 3/4 length, on top of a closed cell pad (older Mt. Washington egg-crate style EVA foam). This gives me a closed cell pad for sitting on and basic insulation, with the t-rest for added insulation and comfort. If the t-rest goes bad I still have something. I'd be reluctant to go with only an inflatable pad on the snow, especially for longer trips.

#129214 - 02/21/10 01:08 AM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: gorge_medic]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Are you talking about sleeping on snow? If so, I have used my Exped DAM 9 by itself, a ThermaRest 3/4 LE, 1.5" thick with a 3/8" blue ccf pad and my NeoAir small with the blue ccf pad in the snow. One of my hips felt just a tiny bit cool when using the NeoAir/ccf pad over NY's in Yosemite, very insignificant though. In my experience, the small NeoAir on unfrozen ground is good into the mid single digits using a 15 degree down bag with a jacket draped over by morning. Did that two nights in a row. On frozen ground, may be a different matter. Per my two zip-o-gauges and the ice on slow moving water, I know it was cold.

#129215 - 02/21/10 02:01 AM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: gorge_medic]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By gorge_medic
So...not to hijack a thread, but I just returned from my first aborted winter camping trip. I learned the valuable lesson that 30F may be warmer than the nighttime temps you've been having, but it's still 30 degrees!

For three-season trips I've been using a full-length Ridgerest without problems. I started to look at the GG Nightlite torso-length pad to add for winter trips, or to use alone for three-season trips. What do you all use for a winter pad system, and why did you choose that particular combo?

For winter camping I take my full length Ridge-Rest Deluxe because it offers the best weight-to-warmth ratio among pads (I believe this is the case). In fact this is my year round pad. During the winter months I will also bring along a GG Nightlight.

It should be noted that my sleep system clothing is just as important as the pad during the winter season.

#129235 - 02/21/10 12:03 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: gorge_medic]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Blue foam atop a big agnes insulated aircore.

when it's really cold another blue foam underneath.

Browse my pictures

#129237 - 02/21/10 01:06 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: phat]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By phat

Blue foam atop a big agnes insulated aircore.

when it's really cold another blue foam underneath.

I have always wondered about air filled pads like the Aircore and NeoAir, during the winter season. Does the air inside the pad not become cold or is the material of the pad and the warmth of your body enough to warm the air inside?

#129238 - 02/21/10 01:37 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: ChrisFol]
Boomer Offline

i used mine in 36 degree air in utah and it felt like it was getting really cold. I wasnt sure though if it was the material that was getting cold or if it was the air inside.

#129240 - 02/21/10 01:46 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: ChrisFol]
lori Offline

I was caught in a shoulder season snow storm with only the NeoAir. Temps dropped into the low 20-25F range at night and we woke to snow. I think that the only reason I was warm all night had something to do with the ground not being frozen. We were on sand and previous night's temps didn't go below 40F.

I have been satisfied with the NeoAir overall, and I am a quilt user so sleep directly on the pad itself, unless I'm in the hammock which has a pad pocket. It works entirely because of the heat reflective baffles inside it.

I also make sure I've been hydrated and eaten well before turning in - you are relying on your body to provide the warmth. Need to keep the furnace going.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#129241 - 02/21/10 01:47 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: ChrisFol]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
It was about 28 degrees Thursday night and I was sleeping on an insulated Big Agnes air mattress with no other pads. It was on forest floor (in a tent), no snow. I just pulled the sleeping bag over me and laid on the pad in long underwear and it was warm under me. If you move to an area of the pad that you haven't warmed, its not as warm, eh? But is was very comfy, eh? Aboot as comfy as anything that I've used except a warmlight down filled 3" air mattress, eh?
Jim

Edited by Jimshaw (02/21/10 01:48 PM)

#129250 - 02/21/10 02:35 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Boomer]
Mroberts Offline

Loc: California, USA
I use a foam pad as well. Perhaps that is just because I dislike change and that is what I have always used but the lightweight composition is an advantage.

#129265 - 02/21/10 05:54 PM Re: Inflatable vs Foam [Re: Mroberts]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
For Minnesota winter, I use a full lenth, uncored, 1.5" thermarest with a full length CCF 3/8" pad. I'm about to upgrade to a Ridgerest (maybe deluxe) because my 28 year old insolite pad bit the dust this last trip. That combination is just barely enough for me. On really cold (-15 kind of cold) nights I can feel cool on the bottom. In the morning, the snow will be slightly melted under me. I know I sleep (feeling) cold, but conversely put out a lot of heat. In temps down to around 15 just the thermarest or a Ether thermo and a torso length CCF is enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum