Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128745 - 02/13/10 08:40 AM Sleeping pad query
Prospector Offline

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
I must change my sleeping pad arrangement this year. I have been using a $9 egg crate style roll up from Walley World for several years and now that I've gone through back surgery and appreciate comfort in a whole new way, it's time to spend a little money on a new pad. Honestly never really liking my cheap pad, I look back and can say that I've never gotten a good night's sleep using this piece of junk. I'll be cutting it up and using it to add padding to my pack straps now.

After reading tons of material on the subject, I am leaning toward the Thermarest NeoAir. Problem is, I'm not totally convinced that the accolades I've read on the NeoAir are totally genuine. Are the testers just trying to score points or is it all they say it is?!? At $169.00 for a regular size, my decision must be right when I purchase. If I'm not just thrilled with it, I'll be kicking myself in the butt for wasting that much money. What say you folks!

#128759 - 02/13/10 11:40 AM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Prospector]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
It's a lot of money--the only way to spend more is on a down-filled mattress. Worth it? I used a short NeoAir last season and found it better--more comfortable--than any sleeping system I've used previously. That includes self-inflaters and insulated air mattresses with lengthwise tubes.

The other payoff is the NeoAir's tiny size and light weight. It has freed up a lot of pack space and compared to a big foam pad is one less thing strapped to the outside.

I use the short with a pillow (cloth sack with clothing) and if it's cold I put something under my feet (pack, whatever). The key to comfort it is getting the inflation correct. I began with too much air--once I learned to let some out I hit the sweet spot. I haven't had it much below freezing, but if I planned on that I'd add a thin foam pad underneath, maybe 1/8 inch.

If you can, try before you buy. REI will have tester samples that you can compare with regular air mattresses and self-inflaters. IMHO any of these options will be more comfortable than your old egg-crate.

Cheers,

#128760 - 02/13/10 11:44 AM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Prospector]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
There are two or three threads on the NeoAir here. Do some leg work and check them out. And yes, they are very comfortable. Like everything else, not everyone agrees. There are many other options, just some of us wanted to loose gear weight, but not comfort. Check out TheBackpacker too, same over there.

#128762 - 02/13/10 11:57 AM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Prospector]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I used one, and it is comfortable - but no more so than the Big Agnes Air Core or Insulated Air Core. It is the lightest air mattress out there, though. I ended up selling mine because I preferred the BA; it just felt more durable (which is why it's heavier.) The BA is also cheaper.

In what conditions will you be using it? I never got a chance to use my NeoAir in cold weather, so I don't know how low the temps can get before it lets the cold seep through. The Big Agnes Insulated Air Core is good to about 20-25 degrees, based on my experience. If you're planning to use it in colder weather, you'll need to combine it with a closed-cell pad to stay really warm.

#128785 - 02/13/10 08:15 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Glenn]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My NeoAir went back to REI. Try as I might, I couldn't get truly comfy on it, and it got COLD below 40* By the time you add a CCF foam pad for more warmth (and it needs to be a thick pad below freezing, not one of those 1/8" Gossamer Gear pads), there is no weight difference between the NeoAir and an insulated air pad like my POE Insulmat Max Thermo (now the Ether Thermo) that goes down to 20* and is far more comfortable!

I did spend several nights on the floor with it, but I'm afraid I was letting the prospect of half a pound weight savings overcome my better judgment!

EDIT: Also, I didn't find out until I got it out in the field that when on the inevitable slope, I kept rolling off the thing.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/13/10 11:18 PM)

#128798 - 02/14/10 01:32 AM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: OregonMouse]
Prospector Offline

I guess knowing my size and the conditions I'll be using it in would be necessary information.

Once I get back up to weight, I'll be at 5'7" and around 140-150 lbs. A week ago, I weighed less than I did in junior high.... 125....and looked like stick man. I've not had any appetite at all for about a year now due to the pain pills the doc had me on. Now that I've gotten the back fixed, the pain is gone along with the pills, and the appetite is back. I've put on at least 5 lbs in the last week already. Soooooo, short story long......5'7", 145 lbs. This year I won't be getting back out until May or June and the nighttime temp here should be about 55 to 65 if I'm thinking right. Who's to say what the heck the weather will be anymore though! Had 3" of snow on the ground here this morning. Palmetto Palms look so cool with snow on them...... actually, it looks odd as hell! HAHA...... I'll only be hiking the Palmetto Trail this year unless a better offer that I can afford presents itself. The PT goes from the southern SC coast all the way across the state. I have only been able to hike it in sections due to having to work, so I'll only be out for 2 or 3 nights at a time, max.

Thanks for the thoughts so far. If my additional info changes anything please let me know. I will continue the investigation and will now look again at BA and the POE Insulmat Max Thermo. At my age, 54, and temporarily reduced physical condition, sleeping comfort, i.e. warmth and padding are way more important than ever. Thanks guys.

Edited by Prospector (02/14/10 01:38 AM)

#128812 - 02/14/10 11:12 AM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Prospector]
OregonMouse Offline

Sleeping styles are so individual that it's best to try out the pad on the floor to find what works for you. The BA insulated air pad doesn't work for me because it has 8 chambers instead of 6, and I find it lots harder to get the sweet spot between too much inflation (which makes it brick-like) and so soft my hip bone hits the ground. That's why I use the Pacific Outdoor Equipment insulated pad (last I looked, renamed the Ether Thermo), which has 6 chambers (some don't like it for that reason). I also do fine with a 48" long pad because I am short and sleep in the fetal position, so my feet stay on the pad. If I want to stretch out on my back, then my feet rest on my dog, who sleeps at my feet, thus keeping both dog and my feet warm. But you may need a longer pad. Get what is comfortable for you! Try out several of them. Make sure that the place you buy the pad has a good return policy.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/14/10 11:13 AM)

#128815 - 02/14/10 11:50 AM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: OregonMouse]
Prospector Offline

Thank you ma'am. I get the feeling that you and I are a lot alike concerning sleeping, i.e. cold vs hot, fetal vs back, etc. I have decided to follow your advice to the T, and will definitely try your exact set-up, cause I almost get drowsy just listening to you describe how comfortable your set up is. AHHHH.... I will also find a place that will allow me to at least test the Themarest NeoAir at home on my hardwood floor just so I can KNOW how it works or doesn't work for me. I don't like my mattress hard, will awaken 1,000 times a night if I get a chill and if my hip isn't being padded sufficiently, forget about it........ sleep is out of the question. Everything even seems to be tied together.... if my hip starts hurting, I get cold, and so on. Sleep and water are absolute requirements for me, so I MUST get this right. Getting your input is a win win situation for me! If I don't like what I end up with, it's your fault. If I love it, I'm a genius for being so smart as to ask you! I look smart either way!!!! LOL just kidding...... Seriously.... thank you much!

Edited by Prospector (02/14/10 12:41 PM)

#128823 - 02/14/10 12:22 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Prospector]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Prospector, glad you can make use of Oregon Mouse's advice but just FYI she is a lady.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#128827 - 02/14/10 12:51 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Trailrunner]
Prospector Offline

GREAT!!!!!!!!!! I'm such an idiot!!! Please excuse me OM....
I'm glad nobody can see me right now. I must be red as a beet!!!! Please don't hate me OM.. I've got no problem with having commonalities with a woman, just hadn't figured it out I guess.....Well, Let's see how deep of a hole I can dig here.... Maybe I should just shut up and hope you will excuse my ignorance..... please....
Cary

#128828 - 02/14/10 12:53 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Trailrunner]
Prospector Offline

Thank you Trailrunner...... I owe you..... What an idiot I am..... sigh.......

#128830 - 02/14/10 01:39 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Prospector]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Pros,
are you a troll?
Anyway mouse has a dog that keeps her feet warm, you will need a very obedient yellow lab to be as comfortable as she is. Personally I need to stretch out and I can't imagine sleeping on a 48" pad with my feet on it. You could get by with a short kiddies tent. I get the feeling you would be comfortable hiking in a manly kilt. smile
Jim

#128833 - 02/14/10 01:50 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Prospector]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
It's a reasonable mistake since most profiles are without gender and OM's AV is not her.

I'm 5'10" and I can get away with a 48" pad if just my pillow is under my head and the pad starts at my shoulders. I usually sleep semi-fetal on my side which leaves just part of my feet hanging off the pad. Sometimes I carry a separate 1'x1' piece of closed cell for use as sitpad/mattress extender. And one caveat: I don't use thick 3/4 length pads. The "dropoff" at the edge under my legs is just too uncomfortable.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#128834 - 02/14/10 02:02 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: OregonMouse]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
O.M.,

My sentiments exactly! I had the 1st Neo-Air in Las Vegas and returned it to REI after one trip.

I like my 12 year old Thermarest Lite full length mattress a lot and it only weighs a few ounces (as in 2 oz.) more and rolls to almost the same size as the Neo-Air.

The Neo-Air does not fall into the category of "The same thing only different." smile It is TOO different in too many ways.

Eric

#128839 - 02/14/10 02:48 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: 300winmag]
Prospector Offline

Gotta laugh....... cause I'm not sure what you mean by r u a troll.....? Actually, just a 54y/o man that has been dealing with severe back probs from working too hard for too long and not willing to use my crappy egg carton roll any longer. OM sounded like she had the same needs concerning insuring a decent night's sleep as I, and she sounded intelligent in her advice. Simple as that.

BTW Jim, nice shorts.

Edited by Prospector (02/14/10 03:28 PM)

#128854 - 02/14/10 06:47 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Prospector]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Prospector
Sorry If I hurt your feelings. Since you are a new guy, although 30 posts does indicate some true interest, I thought you were sounding disingenuous and maybe that you were just playing with us. Anyway welcome
Jim smile

Edited by Jimshaw (02/14/10 06:48 PM)

#128860 - 02/14/10 08:02 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Offline

Just to let you know, Prospector, that most of the regular posters have been around a lot longer than I have and I've learned a lot from them. Yes, I've had many, many (too many!) years of experience, but I had given up backpacking because I could no longer carry 50 lb. packs. I credit this site for my being able to cut my pack weight by more than half. Without these good folks here, I'd no longer be backpacking.

#128870 - 02/14/10 10:33 PM Re: Sleeping pad query [Re: Jimshaw]
Prospector Offline

Been doing this for 48 years with breaks here and there for stuff like the Navy. Can't figure out what sounded disingenuous, and feelings well in tact. I don't and never have played games. I actually do care. That may be seen as a weakness, but I assure you, it's not.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum