Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118244 - 07/11/09 07:14 PM How to dry rain gear in a small tent.
dash4689 Offline

Loc: TX
I acquired a new Scarp 1 made by TarpTent, and love it for many of it's well designed features & functions. But on a recent backpack I encoundered a problem someone probably already has a solution to. Like most other ultra-lite shelters, Scarp 1 has no room in the tent or vestibule to dry out a rain jacket and/or rain pants.

On a recent trip to the Rockies, I was a nervous Nelly whenever rain threatened, because I didn't know if I could get it dry. Surely other Lite Gear folks have dealt with this problem. Please share your solutions. Thanks

Edited by dash4689 (07/11/09 07:18 PM)

#118253 - 07/12/09 12:11 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: dash4689]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
When in the tent, I roll my rain gear inside out, so the wet side is inside. I don't want wet stuff rubbing against my dry clothing or my sleeping bag or causing condensation inside my tent.

When conditions are wet, unless you are where you can build a fire, the only thing you have to dry out clothing or sleeping bag is your body heat. While your body heat can dry stuff out in your sleeping bag, it will compromise your insulation. Barely damp is one thing, but wet is another.

If my hiking shirt, pants and socks are wet, they go into a plastic bag inside my sleeping bag while I sleep in my dry base layer. Yes, the hiking clothes are still just as wet the next morning, but at least they are warm. If you have synthetic clothing and your layers are thin, your body heat will dry them in 15-20 minutes once you start hiking.

Of course if you can build a fire you can wave stuff over it (not too close!). Your clothing will be well smoked and at least partially dry. I normally don't build fires so would do this only in an emergency (if my insulating clothing or sleeping bag got wet).

The trick is to keep your insulating clothing and sleeping bag dry at all times. Do whatever is needed to minimize condensation in your tent.

#118256 - 07/12/09 03:12 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I have posted another picture at PBF however this may illustrate the point a bit better.
The Scarp is provably one of the most suited solo tents to have a hanging clothes line under it..
Just install a line starting from the top of the inverted V strut , going up to the outermost clip that holds the inner up and down again to the other V strut.
This still allows to attach the inner up losing about six inches of floor width, but that still gives you about 26" of usable width.
That blue mat is 20" wide
Franco

( the tent is up in my bedroom...)

#118261 - 07/12/09 12:26 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: dash4689]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Dash
why worry about your rain gear being wet? Isn't it designed for that?
As mouse said - in your tent, roll it up (actually bunch it - wet on wet) so its wet inside and dry outside, then when you put it on it should only be wet on the outside, and thats the way it was intended.

BUT if you have enough room you can close up a tent and sun light will make it warm, and thus dry - relative humidity - and things will dry out in your tent in the sun. Tent drying is a critical winter skill.

BUT always set priorities - sleeping bag stays dry at any cost, other things may have to stay wet, or only dry out a bit. Its one of the problematic things about multi-day snow camping trips where you are moving camp everyday - how to stay "DRY ENOUGH". How to roll up and carry a wet tent? Hopefully you have an extra large stuff sack because a wet tent will not roll up and stuff as small as a dry one - and thats a fact jack.
Jim crazy

#118263 - 07/12/09 01:35 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've learned that, if a wet tent is a possibility, I prefer to put the tent into two smaller stuff sacks. The fly is usually a lot wetter than the inner (at least for a few days.) By storing them in separate sacks, you prevent the wet fly from making the inner tent even wetter, which means you've got a chance at it being a little dryer the next time you pitch it. (On packs like the Osprey Atmos and Exos, some of which have divided outside pockets, you can do the same thing by putting the fly in one pocket, and the inner in the other - saving the weight of two stuff sacks.)

#118267 - 07/12/09 04:09 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Glenn]

Great idea for the double wall tent, Glenn! (I haven't used one in a while). For a single wall tent, wipe down the inside walls if necessary; wipe off the outside just before taking it down (unless it's raining hard at the time) and then give it a good shake just before stuffing. Of course, you'll have everything else packed up and inside your pack before you take the tent down! And of course you have some kind of towel (I prefer "Handi-Wipes" because they're lighter and dry faster) to do this with!

The wet tent issue is one reason I use one of the outside side pockets of my pack for my tent. A second reason is that I want to be able to get at my tent and set it up without opening my pack should it be raining. A third reason is to be able to stop and dry it out should a "sun break" occur during the day.

Edited by OregonMouse (07/12/09 04:11 PM)

#118271 - 07/12/09 07:26 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

Maybe you all have missed this
"Like most other ultra-lite shelters, Scarp 1 has no room in the tent or vestibule to dry out a rain jacket and/or rain pants. "
Hence my picture....
(of course if you have both the OP and me on "ignore" you would not know what it is all about)
Franco

#118275 - 07/12/09 11:42 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Franco]

I don't have anyone on ignore, Franco, but, to me, trying to dry the outside of a rain jacket or pants by hanging it inside the tent when it's raining just gets everything inside the tent that much wetter and is totally unnecessary--the rain gear will just get wet again as soon as the OP goes back out in the rain. As Jim said, the outside surface of rain gear is supposed to get wet!

When it's cold and wet, nothing is going to dry inside the tent, hung up or not, and it will just make things damper inside unless there is an external source of heat. Of course if it turns warm and sunny, everything will get dry, but the drying will happen faster outside the tent in the breeze rather than inside. You have proved that there's room for a clothesline inside the tent, but what in the world for?

I've been through spells of constant rain lasting as long as 10 days at a stretch in the Rockies, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Edited by OregonMouse (07/12/09 11:44 PM)

#118276 - 07/12/09 11:51 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Franco]
Glenn Offline

Yeah, I did kind of digress there. Must be the onset of geezerdom: someone says something, then the old guy goes off on a tangent, usually ending up with, "... five miles, in the snow, uphill, both ways" or "...you kids don't appreciate how good you've got it!"

Oh, wait a minute - I did it again. blush

I tend to agree with the other posters: if you're in an area where all-day (or all-night) rains are common, you're probably wasting your time trying to dry out rain gear in any small tent - and maybe even any large tent. It doesn't have anything to do with the tent; it's more about the high humidity levels not letting things dry out at all. Although the Scarp seems to do a particularly good job of allowing you to hang things, it can be done in other tents; you just don't end up with much room to sit up or move around. In prolonged rain, where there's a lot of moisture in the air all the time, the best you can do is try not to get things any wetter than need be.

However, if you're in a climate where you get your rain gear wet walking in the 2-hour afternoon shower, after which it clears off and the humidity is low, you can dry things out in a well-ventilated tent (which, I believe, most Tarptents are.)

Where I hike: you stay wet, and protect your sleeping bag.

Edited by Glenn (07/12/09 11:55 PM)

#118278 - 07/13/09 12:40 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Glenn]
Franco Offline

Gee, I don't know. One moment people are complaining that there is too much ventilation in the Scarp , then I figure out the way to keep the moisture level high enough to help your skin and give the Brits the environment they like so much and you whinge about increased condensation...
We are in the middle ( OK, hopefully 3/4 of the way) of a draught here but has been raining on and off for two days. I have had the washing out on the line for two days. Maybe I will transfer it under the Scarp....(so there)
yes we are all correct. If it is still raining and there is no breeze all you will do is get your gear less wet...
However it may help in some situations, for example when you don't want to show off your frilly knickers to some less opened minded campers.
Franco
(sorry , no pictures this time because you really have upset me now. Maybe a bar of chocolate will make me feel better)

#118283 - 07/13/09 09:02 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Franco]
Glenn Offline

Hey, Franco, if it will help get you in a good mood: I hear Henry is coming out with a new Tarptent... smile

(Of course, I didn't say when.)

Edited by Glenn (07/13/09 09:02 AM)

#118296 - 07/13/09 03:03 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Glenn]

With so many new models in the past year, it sounds as though Henry is on a roll!

Franco, I hadn't thought about hiding the panties inside the tent, although mine are definitely not frilly and not little, either.... I tend to decorate little trees with mine!

We'd be happy to send you some of our rain--we just had a weekend of it after a week of cloudy, cool weather (i.e. no views from ridge tops). We're supposed to have 100% sunshine after July 4 in Oregon, but not this year!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/13/09 03:04 PM)

#118300 - 07/13/09 05:51 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: OregonMouse]
Franco Offline

With so many new models in the past year, it sounds as though Henry is on a roll!

On a PM one of the members here commented about the many choices. My replay was that (after the Scarp2) he was safe as Henry would be busy with that. The very same day Henry was playing with the floor plan of the new shelter...
Franco

#118301 - 07/13/09 06:13 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
No rain please.. I'm headed up high this weekend! smile
Browse my pictures

#119892 - 08/26/09 07:45 AM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: phat]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
Nearly impossible to get the gear dry while is raining. That is the trouble with shelters designed for only fair weather. It is a cold clammy miserable situation and it does not need to be. A good tarp and a tiny wood stove/chimney is good for any season and only weighs 2lbs. plus the weight of whatever tarp you choose and thats for 2 to 4 people. Life is good sitting beside a little wood fire (no trace wood fire)even when its raining or snowing. see my other posts for pictures or google chimpac for other forums

Edited by chimpac (08/26/09 07:56 AM)
Edit Reason: add aword or two

#119900 - 08/26/09 01:15 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By chimpac
see my other posts for pictures or google chimpac for other forums

Yeah, I have noticed your other posts on at least 4 other forums. 2 of them make sense with your wood stove posts, but not all. What gets me is why you only put up a few posts about your stove and tarp, and then nothing else. It seems you are only interested in selling everyone the idea that your stove tarp is the greatest thing since sliced bread. You also seem very confident that it works in every situation. So, why is it so important that we all bow to the idea of a wood stove/chimney?

#119907 - 08/26/09 02:39 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]

The thought of packing around a 2 lb. wood stove, needed most in areas (near or above timberline, where summer rainstorms often end in snow) where fires of any kind (including stove) are forbidden due to lack of fuel, is enough to make my knees ache big time!

In case you hadn't noticed, this is a lightweight backpacking site.

I prefer to regulate my body heat according to conditions and keep my critical insulating gear dry. I've done this for many days at a time and gotten along just fine.

#119909 - 08/26/09 03:05 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
lori Offline

One, not everyone goes in the depth of winter when they can pull a pulk, or hikes with a pack animal, or wants to carry a few pounds of metal.

Two, some of us can't burn wood where we camp. Wood stoves count as campfires and restrictions on fires above a particular elevation are there to protect that environment and the tiny amount of wood available there.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119913 - 08/26/09 03:24 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: dash4689]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
"How to dry rain gear in a small tent."

Simple answer: It ain't gonna happen. And even if the raingear dries a little that H20 has to go somewhere.

Unless.....the sun comes out, the humidity drops, and the temps rise.

But if that happens you wont be drying your raingear in the tent.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#119914 - 08/26/09 03:32 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: dash4689]
lori Offline

Maybe you should have phrased the question differently. How do you stay dry in the rain?

Then we would be talking about things like using a durable pack liner, waterproof sacks for sleeping gear and clothing, pack covers, ponchos vs rain jackets, and the point at which one realizes the weather isn't just a passing thing and pitches the shelter. If you can work out how to stay dry, you don't need to worry about trying to dry stuff. If all that's wet is your rain gear... what's the problem? roll it up inside out and leave it in the vestibule.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#119915 - 08/26/09 03:35 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: chimpac]
Trailrunner Offline

Tarp/stove combos may work well for certain people in specific situations. But they also carry limitations. And two pounds might as well be two tons for many on this board.

Also, there is no such thing as a no trace wood fire. Even if you completely bury the ashes you have changed the soil and the absence of the wood you burned (which would otherwise decompose to enrich the soil) is your trace. I might buy your pitch if you carry in your wood, carry out your ashes, and confine the fire to the stove. But I doubt that's what you do.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#119929 - 08/26/09 05:37 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: dash4689]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
IF you have plenty of ventilation (not the case with most tens, don't know with the Scarp) AND it's not too cold AND you're not cold, you can do what I sometimes do, which is to keep my wet rain jacket on inside the tent and dry it with my body heat. BUT you have to be very careful and VERY aware of your overall body heat situation so that you don't get chilled. I put on warm pants, and a warm hat and sometimes gloves so that I maximize heat retention everywhere except my torso and maximize heat loss from my torso, and I can dry my jacket out pretty well and pretty quickly. I've done the same thing snow camping when my jacket gets wet from snow that is just barely snow. But again, this requires a high level of caution and awareness of what you're doing so that you don't get chilled.

#119933 - 08/26/09 06:37 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Trailrunner]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
trainrunner
said
""How to dry rain gear in a small tent."

Simple answer: It ain't gonna happen. And even if the raingear dries a little that H20 has to go somewhere.

Unless.....the sun comes out, the humidity drops, and the temps rise. "

Trailrunner - depends - sometimes simple logic just ain't true. Like here in high desert, it can be raining and drying at the same time. The relative humidity is not necesarily 100% just cause its raining, AND if its warmer in the tent, it could be lower humidity in there.
Jim crazy

#119935 - 08/26/09 07:39 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Jimshaw]
Trailrunner Offline

Yes, anything is occasionally possible under unusual conditions. Sometimes an eclipse turns day into night. But when most people discuss things here they're usually talking about the norm and not the exception.

#119945 - 08/26/09 11:05 PM Re: How to dry rain gear in a small tent. [Re: Trailrunner]
Echterling Offline

Loc: USA
I've always found it difficult to dry anything in a tent, which I've attributed to the lack of airflow. Things will drip off most of the moisture, but tend to stay damp, in my experience.

I prefer to have equipment and clothes that can handle being constantly wet, as I refuse to let weather deter me (limited vacation time and all that).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum