Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120454 - 09/06/09 07:14 PM Fanatic Fringe
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
I was going to write a little something about the Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak pack. First i like the price, a very well valued piece of gear. Second it weights only 9.5oz with a hip belt! The hip belt is ok, its better than nothing! Though pack weight should be small enough not to need one.
Its a very basic pack. Has two good sized pockets that fit a 2 liter bottle, i use two 1 liters bottles for the weight distribution. The back pocket is big for extra or drying gear. There are two compression straps and an extension collar, with draw strings. The pack material lets water beed off, but no silnylon.
I added an elastic pocket in the main pack to hold my zlite. I think a rolling pad might be better. I also am going to add a elastic ice axe and trek pole loops.
The recommended pack weight is 20lbs, i am not sure if thats base weight or total weight. I have only used the pack so far for an over night so pack weight has be around 13 pounds with food and such.
All in all a great pack, i want to try an add slots to slip in some fiberglass or aluminum stays.

Edited by Bushman (09/06/09 07:20 PM)

#120455 - 09/06/09 07:37 PM Re: Fanatic Fringe [Re: Bushman]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I have a Thompson Peak. A slightly older design from what I hear, but basically the same. The 20# limit is definitely total weight. Optimum is 15# and below. With those weights, the pack is a dream to carry. Then again I am sure any pack under 15# will be great. Over 20# you can "feel it" and it is uncomfortable. YMMV If I have to go over 20#, I will switch to pack with a suspension, usually my MS Ghost.

#120469 - 09/07/09 01:21 AM Re: Fanatic Fringe [Re: DTape]
Bushman Offline

I neve got how people could load up a golite breeze so dame much. Anyway i loaded the pack with 14 pounds to simulate 8 days of food, plus my gear and water. I am going to add the stays in and try a rolled pad to see if its any better. Its totally do able to carry that weight, but i worry about the pack ripping.

#120475 - 09/07/09 06:00 AM Re: Fanatic Fringe [Re: Bushman]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I remember feeling the same way about hoping the pack wouldn't rip. I wonder if this is a common fear the first time someone starts using a frameless pack. I have used mine now for a couple years. Probably about 80 days on the trail. At first I was really cautious with it, now I treat it like my other packs. I figure the only difference between it and some of my other is not the stitching, but some metal or plastic sewn inside. I do have one small tear on the back panel, it looks like I "cut " it somehow. It is a half in long incision. So far it hasn't grown. Oh, I don't make a tube with my pad like they (and others recommend). I fold mine so that it is the same width as the back panel and place it against the back. I can get more volume that way.

#120545 - 09/08/09 01:55 PM Re: Fanatic Fringe [Re: DTape]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Frameless packs seem, in my experience, never worth the discomfort for the few ounces of weight savings. Osprey says so in their literature and they are correct. For me it's a frame pack - period.

Eric

#120552 - 09/08/09 03:32 PM Re: Fanatic Fringe [Re: 300winmag]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By 300winmag
Frameless packs seem, in my experience, never worth the discomfort for the few ounces of weight savings.

I have the opposite experience - it really depends on you and
how much weight you are carrying. I can basically save a couple of pounds with a frameless pack, and for me, it's very comfortable with my gear and the way I pack it.

Of course for you it may well be (and likely will be) different.

Quote:

Osprey says so in their literature and they are correct.

The manufacturer of framed packs says so in the literature - sounds like bovine scatology to me - they ain't correct for me! (they may be for *you*)

Quote:

For me it's a frame pack - period.
Eric

And that I totally get. Just don't assume everyone is that way and particularly don't put more credence to marketing schmoop than it deserves..
Browse my pictures

#120577 - 09/08/09 10:50 PM Re: Fanatic Fringe [Re: phat]
Bushman Offline

I do like my osprey pack, feels a bit like a external frame pack when loaded up. Though on over nights and weekend hikes when my pack weight total is 17 pounds, the fringe is great! Something that feels good is putting my fleece pullover between me and the pack.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum