Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118955 - 08/01/09 06:41 PM Boots or shoes at august-september in BC
lazarus Offline

Loc: Spain
Hi, I¨ll go to BC from august to erly october, problably I hiking around Canadian Rockies may be Yukon, I need to decide if a take shoes or boots, anybody can help me?

#118959 - 08/02/09 01:27 AM Re: Boots or shoes at august-september in BC [Re: lazarus]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I live in BC and I am going to say shoes. However, it depends on how high up you are hiking as to whether or not you will encounter snow. The higher you go the more likely you are to be hiking through white stuff. I will hike just about anywhere in my Solomon trail runners and the snow I do run into usually isn’t that deep. Where I live (Kamloops) we often don’t get snow until close to Christmas anyway. In the mountains it can be a different story. You are asking a hard question because there can be a huge difference between the weather in BC and that of the Yukon.

Howie

#118960 - 08/02/09 08:07 AM Re: Boots or shoes at august-september in BC [Re: lazarus]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I've hiked in Yukon a fair amount in the Kluane NP area. There are not that many trails and the country can be steep and rocky. For that I'd recommend boots. Other parts of Yukon are flatter, more rolling, and a good pair of trail shoes should suffice. For the mountains of western BC, I would definitely recommend boots for off-trail and snow hiking. Again, good trail runners would serve for on-trail hiking.

#118963 - 08/02/09 10:19 AM Re: Boots or shoes at august-september in BC [Re: lazarus]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
One thing you need to know. This is a bad year for forest fires. There are several fires burning right now. Some towns are on evacuation alert. Some hiking areas could likely be closed. We presently have a ban on all open fires for the entire province of British Columbia.

In BC parks we are not supposed to hike off trail.

Howie

#118967 - 08/02/09 12:17 PM Re: Boots or shoes at august-september in BC [Re: Howie]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hi lazarus,

I'll give you the same answer I'd give you for the yukon question. I hike a lot in the BC rockies, and I've used *both* trailrunners and boots. What I take depends on where I am going and what sort of conditions I expect. To give you an example, Rockwall trail, kootenay national park, a 5 day relatively rugged hike but on maintained trails. This one I'd probably take trailrunners on (and have). Second example, my most recent trip in height of the rockies, where I was routefinding off trail in the mountains, and had some snow to contend with. This one I took boots (and I needed them, I'd have demolished my trailrunners)

So it really really depends on *where* you are going. If you are not sure, and you have comfortable boots, take boots. If you are comfortable and experienced in using trailrunners on the trail you might want to bring both with you and decide depending on where you are going (and when if snow becomes an issue)

Above all make sure you have both sets broken in, i.e. you are used to them and comfortable in them.
Browse my pictures

#118975 - 08/02/09 06:28 PM Re: Boots or shoes at august-september in BC [Re: Howie]
lazarus Offline

Thanks is very usefull your answer, there are forest fires around Nelson (the kootneys)?

#118977 - 08/02/09 06:39 PM Re: Boots or shoes at august-september in BC [Re: Howie]
lazarus Offline

Thanks so much, is true there are huge diference betwen BC and Yukon, but I like travel wihtout planing or not to much planing, oenly one question for Yukon in September my treking boots asolo with goretex can be useful or can be better a "specific Canadian Boots for the Yukon" another time when I was in Canada I saw a winter boots at the stores around Canada. I saw the wetherclimate page at internet and I saw very low temperatures (extrem minimum) but the average is gona be good for my boots.

Thanks

#118979 - 08/02/09 06:48 PM Re: Boots or shoes at august-september in BC [Re: phat]
lazarus Offline

Hi Phat

Thanks a lot, goodjob

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum