Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115949 - 05/13/09 12:23 PM MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants?
Fishnaked Offline

Loc: West
I'm in love! Their combination of price and low weight seem to blow the competition away.... but I have not seen them in person.

My thoughts have been to add them to my summer weight sleeping bag to increase its warmth, thinking they would be far lighter and more compact than a comparably warm set of fleece.

Here's a link to the parka: http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301317

Anyone use these? If so, what are your general impressions? How warm are these things? What is their approximate thickness?

#115951 - 05/13/09 12:33 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I use the synthetic version, on the theory of not putting all my insulation eggs in one basket.

Note that Montbell sizes run quite small. I found that I need a size larger than I normally wear.

#115953 - 05/13/09 12:48 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
I use the inner jacket and have been very pleased with it. Never got cold. It's a bit fragile so I've always worn it with a windbreaker type of jacket over it. And yes, the sizes run small!!

#115956 - 05/13/09 01:33 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I use them as my "pajamas" in the winter with a base layer underneath. Toasty. The pair tips the scales at around a pound but I can use a lighter bag.

I considered using the bottoms to boost my bag's temp range in the summer (Sierra Summer nights can be well below freezing) but the nylon feels clammy against my skin and I didn't want to wear them over the dirty pants I hiked in all day. And I only carry one pair of pants in the Summer. So I use a bag liner instead. That's what works for me.

These garmets are warmer, lighter and more compact than fleece. Just don't abuse them or get them wet as they do require more attention.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#115963 - 05/13/09 02:27 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I have the pants for snow camping, makes the bod nice and toasty.

#115964 - 05/13/09 03:14 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have both the top and pants, and really like them. They seem to be about the same "warmth" as midweight fleece (Polartec 200, on the old people's scale.) They are a little snug, but not too bad. (In my case, I think the snugness has more to do with my out-of shape than the way they're cut.)

I used them, in the backyard, for fun, to extend the range of my 40 degree WM Mitylite down to about 20 degrees one night, and they worked fine. In a similar experiment, they let me sleep toasty warm inside a solo tent in a WM Megalite (30-degree) on a 15 degree night.

The only thing I didn't like about the parka is that it has no drawstring closure. I guess it's designed to be worn under a windbreaker. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

I recently replaced the parka with the Montbell Alpine Light down parka, which weighs more but is warmer for sitting around camp or wearing in the morning. It also has a drawstring hood. As I think about it, this is consistent with what I used to do with fleece: heavyweight (Polartec 300) top worn with midweight pants.

All in all, nice products; I don't regret buying them.

#115968 - 05/13/09 03:41 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Glenn]
Fishnaked Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
I have both the top and pants, and really like them. They seem to be about the same "warmth" as midweight fleece (Polartec 200, on the old people's scale.)

I used them, in the backyard, for fun, to extend the range of my 40 degree WM Mitylite down to about 20 degrees one night, and they worked fine. In a similar experiment, they let me sleep toasty warm inside a solo tent in a WM Megalite (30-degree) on a 15 degree night.

The only thing I didn't like about the parka is that it has no drawstring closure. I guess it's designed to be worn under a windbreaker. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

Thanks, everyone! Very helpful replies!

Glenn,

Not sure if you're (or anyone else) familiar with the old WM Linelite but it has no hood and was designed to be used as a liner in another bag...or as a 40 degree stand alone bag (I added sil-nylon/fleece arm flaps with velcro closures to seal that area). At any rate, I was hoping that with these Mont Bell garments, combined with light to mid weight fleece, a hat and Frogg Toggs Dri Ducks, I could take the Linelite down to 32 degrees.

Any thoughts on that plan?

Thanks again.

#115985 - 05/13/09 07:29 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Not familiar with the Linelite. The Mitylite is also a hoodless, semi-rectangular bag. The lack of a drawstring meant that the hood kept trying to slip off my head - of course, the stocking cap I was wearing under it kept it from mattering much.

I forgot to mention that I was also wearing midweight long underwear. I think your plan sounds feasible - but pick a nice cold night (into the low 20's), and try it in your back yard or by your car at a state campground. Also take a thermometer out with you. Check the temperature at which you start feeling chilled (hopefully it will be below 30), then go get your winter bag out of the car (or go inside and get into your warm bed) - you'll now know how cold your system can take you.

Also, if I'm planning to go out into several days of sustained predicted cold, I tend to take my Megalite bag and think of the extra stuff as more of a backup, not a primary system. It gives me a safety margin in case temperatures take an unexpected plunge. But that's just the belt-and-suspenders accountant in me.

#116102 - 05/15/09 05:07 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I have the inner "jacket." Toasty, I only use it to extend my BPing season on both ends. And yes, they run small. Heaven forbid if you are a double-D!

#116117 - 05/15/09 08:00 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
Fishnaked Offline

Thanks for the additional replies, you two.

#116557 - 05/26/09 07:06 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
Fishnaked Offline

For all who say these garments run small, perhaps you could advise.

I'm 6' tall and weigh 165 pounds. In taking my own measurements, according to Mont Bell's site, I'm a Medium. I prefer a size large in most every other brand of jacket I have owned. Would I do well to get size Large here or do I need an Extra Large?

#116566 - 05/26/09 09:34 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
I'm not too savvy with men's sizes, but I would advise getting the large.

I have a petite (length) torso. The MontBell is the first item I have bought in very long time that wasn't tooooooo long for me. It was actually just right. So just to have length with which you are comfortable, I would go large.

I can promise you, though, MontBell's manikins do not have breasts.

#116569 - 05/26/09 09:51 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
hikerduane Offline

I'm your size and I got the medium pants I think, it is at home and I am away to work for the week. Sorry.

#116620 - 05/27/09 04:58 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: hikerduane]
Fishnaked Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I'm your size and I got the medium pants I think, it is at home and I am away to work for the week. Sorry.

No worries. I'm not in a super big hurry. But, if you think about checking when you get home, and posting how they fit (snug, relaxed, etc) that would be great! Thanks.

Thanks also to Folkalist.

#116695 - 05/28/09 07:54 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
energy_turtle Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
FWIW I'm 5'11", 160 lbs and the UL down inner jacket in medium fits me

#116734 - 05/29/09 07:42 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: energy_turtle]
Fishnaked Offline

Originally Posted By energy_turtle
FWIW I'm 5'11", 160 lbs and the UL down inner jacket in medium fits me

Thank you. Out of curiosity, does it fit you snug enough that a large might be more comfortable or are you entirely happy with its fit?

#116737 - 05/29/09 08:40 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'm 5' 10" tall, 175 lb. I have a large jacket and it fits me perfectly.

#116739 - 05/29/09 11:28 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
hikerduane Offline

I have the medium, I fit 31" waist Levi's, boot cuts, they have plenty of room for growing a beer belly too. My inseam is 32", they don't ride up much when sitting or squatting. I bought them because the other brands were quite a bit more and I didn't need something real storm worthy as I planned on only wearing them in camp. Worse comes to worse, I would wear my powder pants over them. Mine were called a liner pant, not sure if that is what you are looking at. They weigh 8.1 oz. in their stuff sack.

Edited by hikerduane (05/29/09 11:30 PM)

#116747 - 05/30/09 01:11 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: hikerduane]
Fishnaked Offline

I have the medium, I fit 31" waist Levi's, boot cuts, they have plenty of room for growing a beer belly too. My inseam is 32", they don't ride up much when sitting or squatting. I bought them because the other brands were quite a bit more and I didn't need something real storm worthy as I planned on only wearing them in camp. Worse comes to worse, I would wear my powder pants over them. Mine were called a liner pant, not sure if that is what you are looking at. They weigh 8.1 oz. in their stuff sack.

Thanks! The pants I was looking at are the :UL Down Inner Pants". http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=72&p_id=2301319

Thanks also to Pika! From what I have gathered thus far, looks like medium would work for me but, as is usually the case for me, I might prefer the fit of the large. Ahhh...I wish there was a dealer near me...

Edited by rusty (05/30/09 01:13 PM)

#116825 - 06/02/09 04:18 PM Re: MontBell U.L. Down Inner parka & pants? [Re: Fishnaked]
babybunny Offline

Originally Posted By rusty

Thanks! The pants I was looking at are the :UL Down Inner Pants". http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=72&p_id=2301319

Thanks also to Pika! From what I have gathered thus far, looks like medium would work for me but, as is usually the case for me, I might prefer the fit of the large. Ahhh...I wish there was a dealer near me...

Hey, I have the down inner pants.

1. The elastic around the waist is VERY stretchy. I'm 32" and I got the medium and it fits perfectly but can also stretch a ton.

2. The outer material is very light and I've made a couple of punctures in mine just my sitting down on rocks or logs and accidentally walking into bushes and the like. Yes, they're inner pants, but sometimes you just get too lazy to wear them on the outside and if you're doing slightly active stuff wearing a down layer on the inside will quickly get too hot, prompting you to rather wear it on the outside for quick on/off. Plus their stretchiness makes it so easy to slip on over existing pants.

3. No pockets.

4. Extremely warm and wind proof. Ridiculously light.

www.fuzzybabybunny.smugmug.com

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum