Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109300 - 01/14/09 12:12 AM Best Tent Company, when all goes wrong...
Little Otter Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I am wondering which company takes care of its buyers the best. I have had great luck with TNF, but I was wondering if anyone else has had good experience with other companies. MSR, Mountain Hardware, Bibler??? Or maybe poor service... Perhaps there is a lesser known manufacturer that has a great warranty or something. Thanks for the input in advance.

Little Otter

#109305 - 01/14/09 02:39 AM Re: Best Tent Company, when all goes wrong... [Re: Little Otter]
bmisf Offline

I had a good experience with Black Diamond (for a Bibler tent) on getting replacement pole sections when some bent in a storm.

I have two Hillebergs but they're so good I've not had to avail myself of their customer service :-) However, I hear it's good as well - Petra Hilleberg responded directly to my inquiries when buying the tents, and another of their staff answered the phone on the first ring and provided helpful answers; they also will allow you to set up a tent in your house or yard and send it back if the model doesn't suit you.

Never dealt with them on tents, but MSR has been great about service and fixes on other items (stoves and snowshoes in my case); I imagine it's an overall approach that applies to their tent line as well.

#109307 - 01/14/09 08:26 AM Re: Best Tent Company, when all goes wrong... [Re: Little Otter]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I've had real good service from Sierra Designs. I have one of their Glacier tents that is over 30 years old and they still re shock-corded the poles a few years back. Did the same thing for the poles on my Lightyear. No charge!

#109309 - 01/14/09 08:57 AM Re: Best Tent Company, when all goes wrong... [Re: Little Otter]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Cascade Designs, aka MSR and Sierra Designs are both excellent.

But I have also had good experience with:

TarpTent
Six Moon Designs
Mountain Laurel Designs.

#109375 - 01/14/09 10:23 PM Re: Best Tent Company, when all goes wrong... [Re: ringtail]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Sierra Designs, I was hoping to maybe have the fly recoated on my old Half Moon, they sent a new fly, the tent was under ten years old. Henry at TarpTent takes time to answer questions when ordering, at least five-six years ago when I ordered my Squall.

#109484 - 01/16/09 09:20 PM Re: Best Tent Company, when all goes wrong... [Re: Little Otter]
S Martin Offline

Loc: GH IL
In my short experience with camping equipment, I have become partial to Stephenson's-Warmlite. To my understanding, these are the types of tents used in say, an arctic expedition or rock climbing.

When I ordered my tent they were more than helpful in explaining the features of their tent and assisting in the ordering process. The tent can withstand 120 MPH winds, is double vented, double walled, and still comes in at around two and a half pounds. The poles are pre-bent annealed 7178-T6 aircraft aluminum. One of the strongest, lightest materials available. They offer several options you can have built into your tent. A choice of colors, a larger door, windows, internal stabilizers that increase wind resistance to 160 MPH, even an aluminized shell if you wish. Each tent is hand built to order. Only downside is all these things come at a price - to the tune of $500 for the cheapest.

Comparing the performance to what I have experienced in other tents, which is admittedly not a whole lot, I was more then impressed. They even included literature about how to properly seal the tent, how to deal with humidity and other tips and tricks.

#109490 - 01/16/09 11:46 PM Re: Best Tent Company, when all goes wrong... [Re: S Martin]
bostonmtnman Offline

Loc: Central Arkansas
I hate to be the first to offer a negative tidbit in this thread but, by far the worst customer service in the business has got to be Big Sky Products. Although thoroughly documented on this forum and others, I'd be happy to provide you an example of their utterly disappointing service in the form of a transcript of my own experience. I wish I could offer some measure of redemption with a positive comment about the quality of their highly touted Evolution series tent, but after 6 months I still had not received one.

When I became fed up with BSP, I called Henry Shires at TarpTent, as he had just released the Contrail model. Not only did he personally field my calls and e-mails with detailed answers/information, but even sent me his personal prototype Contrail tent as a loaner to try out on a three night trip. When I wasn't sure if the Contrail was right for me, he also sent a Rainbow to try out. I ended up going with the Contrail (have had it for 3 years) and, although its quality precludes the need for further customer service, I have the utmost confidence in Henry to go out of his way to make sure I'm satisfied with his product.

#109528 - 01/17/09 06:43 PM Re: Best Tent Company, when all goes wrong... [Re: Little Otter]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
While its not a lite-weight company, if you want to know about customer service, Eureka! has replaced several broken tent parts free of charge years after I bought the tents. They once sent me a replacement pole at no charge with no questions asked. They did the same for replacing a rain fly for a huge four person tent. Regarding lite-weight, I have had great experiences with Henry Shire's Tarptents. I was shipped a tent body that had a bizarre stain (it only appeared in bright sunlight) on it that I was concerned may compromise the fabric in the future. He immediately sent me a new tent body and reduced the purchase price of the tent to compensate me for my troubles.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum