Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188473 - 01/11/15 07:41 PM The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)...
carbeque Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Hey everyone,

In thinking about how to carry water, I came to a conclusion that felt like common sense, but I may be missing something...

Let's say I want to carry a maximum of 48 ounces of water at any given time. The best idea I can come up with? Three disposable water bottles, preferably something with a decent cap on it like what Dasani comes in (your standard Coke bottle). They're tough, they're the lightest thing you'll find per ounce of capacity, they're CHEAP, and when you're drinking water 16 ounces at a time, it's easier to budget your water (compared with sucking on a hydration bladder and being surprised when you hit the bottom). You keep those three bottles in circulation, filling the empties as the opportunity arises. If you get a hole in one or lose one, you have two extras. A person can even build a hose barb into a spare cap (and drill vent holes) to make something that would easily interface with a filter system. EDIT: The same idea could be used to make a drinking straw in a spare lid. ;-)

This is what I did on the last two hikes I went on, and it worked great. Has anyone else come to this conclusion? Any drawbacks or snags that I happened to miss?

As for mass quantities of water for washing up or boiling while in camp for meals, I've found that gallon freezer bags work great as water buckets...

Thanks,

-Rodney

Edited by carbeque (01/11/15 07:43 PM)

#188474 - 01/11/15 08:16 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: carbeque]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Similar concept, but I've recently started using 32oz Gatorade bottles for the same purpose. Empty weight is approx 1.80 oz versus 6.30 oz for an empty Nalgene. Both hold the same amount of volume but you can get a Gatorade for less than $2 where a Nalgene is anywhere from $8 - $12. (Plus you get 32oz of Gatorade with initial purchase = added bonus).

The only benefit of the Nalgene over Gatorade is that it is directly compatible with some purification systems (MSR, etc.).

I will, however, still use a 2L bladder because I am one of those hikers that likes to take sips along the way and I hate having to stop to get a drink. A filled Gatorade bottle AND the bladder give me more than enough water capacity.

#188476 - 01/12/15 12:16 AM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: dylansdad77]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I use Smart Water bottles because of the flip-top cap. The cap comes only on the 24 oz. bottles but can be used with their 32-oz. bottle. Smart Water bottles are also a bit tougher than your average water bottle. I have some that are 2 years old. They fit narrow pack pockets better than other bottles. And I don't have to worry about losing the cap when taking a drink.

For large containers, I use the 2 liter Evernew containers. Thanks to the lid being attached to the container by a plastic toggle, I can't lose them. With Platypus containers, I was forever losing the lids. Evernew threads are also compatible with Sawyer filters, which the newer Platys are not.

I thought everyone stopped using Nalgenes years ago! They only thing around that's heavier are those metal water bottles that became popular during the BPA scare (most of them, though, are plastic lined).

Edited by OregonMouse (01/12/15 12:22 AM)

#188477 - 01/12/15 12:42 AM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: OregonMouse]
carbeque Offline

Thanks for the responses!

Here's a product review on an Aquafina bottle... LOL.
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/...Ray%20Estrella/

I'm liking the idea of the 20-ounce Gatorade bottles... Large mouth, moderate size, nice and slim, super durable.

20-ounce gatorade bottle

I like the idea of the pop-top bottles too. Lots of options out there when you free your mind from looking for bottles at REI... ;-)

#188481 - 01/12/15 09:37 AM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
The Fiji bottles are also really durable, but they don't have the flip top. I use the 1L size.

#188484 - 01/12/15 11:11 AM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: carbeque]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
For years I've been using the one liter bottles that Schweppes tonic water and club soda comes in. They are narrower and taller than the Gatoraid bottles and are designed to contain pressure so they are quite sturdy; I've never had one fail. They weigh a bit over an ounce. I also use the half liter Aquafina bottles when I'm hiking in well-watered country. They weigh about 0.8 oz each. Like OM, I have been known to loose caps for these bottles. If it is critical, I take an extra cap along: they only weigh a couple of grams.

#188489 - 01/12/15 01:13 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: Pika]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We used the larger mouth Gator Ade or PowerAde bottles for years, and were very happy with them: Light, cheap, indestructible. Gotta lova that.

But then someone gave me a platypus folding bottle. It wasn't as cheap, but it came with the advantage that we can roll it up as it empties---so it takes up less space, and make fewer sloshing noises when we hike. Even better.

Are they worth the extra dough? We've bought a few at close out prices...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#188501 - 01/12/15 03:27 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: balzaccom]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
3 liter Osprey hydration in the Osprey pack.

Backing that is a 4 liter Platypus Gravity Works filtration system (added the charcoal canister but frankly don't think I need it in East TN) that stays rolled up in the pack. If I'm going to hit a dry stretch I can run a few liters from the platypus to fill my hydration, then run another batch to fill it. That gives me 7 liters of fresh water that's better than anything I have at home. If it looks like I might need more than I can simply fill the extra 4 liter 'dirty' bag and that gives me 11 liters of water to make it to another stop. For what it's worth, I've been out a few times with 3-4 people and one (1) fill of the 4-liter bag has seen us through 3 days at a stretch of cooking, cleaning, etc. I can't imagine ever needing 11 liters short of ferrying a boy scout troop across the desert.

Side bonus: Any and every little stream, creek crossing, or lake shore is a source of immediately drinkable water.

#188502 - 01/12/15 03:50 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: AdventureMyk]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hey Myk - I've been chomping at the bit to try out one of those GravityWorks systems but have yet to pull the trigger. Can you expand a little on any pros/cons related to hanging the bag, etc.

Safe to assume you'd recommend this system (2L or 4L)?

#188503 - 01/12/15 04:04 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: dylansdad77]
AdventureMyk Offline

So far I haven't found any cons nor has finding a place to hang it been an issue. Just remember to backflush it when you start the feed and when you finish to keep the filters clean. Going on a year now with zero issues.

I would happily go with the 2 liter but for a few bucks more the 4 also comes with a few tidbits and adapters the 2 liter didn't. Maybe you use them, maybe you don't. If I was to skip something I'd probably go without the charcoal filter but then the water in East TN is so clean there isn't much taste to weed out which is what the charcoal is meant for.

As much as it has been used for everything from motorcycle and kayak camping to car and backpacking the entire system still looks and works like brand new. Drawbacks? It's a little pricy compared to a basic Sawyer Squeeze but even the MSR rep said the gravity works was better than their version and cheaper to boot.

#188510 - 01/12/15 05:59 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: carbeque]
Mr. Jowee Offline

Aren't these prone to freezing in colder temperatures where as nalgene bottles are more insulated?

Originally Posted By carbeque

A person can even build a hose barb into a spare cap (and drill vent holes) to make something that would easily interface with a filter system. EDIT: The same idea could be used to make a drinking straw in a spare lid. ;-)

I bought one of these off of Amazon. It's a little pricey, and a little gimmicky, but it works really well. The vent is a simple rubber valve that allows air into the bottle when water is sucked out. I used it on an older, cheaper bag where reaching for a water bottle was awkward. My newer bag doesn't have that issue, so I just use disposables. It also forces me to take a short break every now and then when I drink, which is good because I sometimes just keep pushing forward.

I find that filling a bladder is a hassle, as is putting a filled bladder into a hydration sleeve. Or should I risk getting everything wet and leave it in the bag as I fill it? Never did figure that out. I also like to know how much water I have.

#188530 - 01/13/15 06:38 AM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: Mr. Jowee]
AdventureMyk Offline

Depending on where they sit it won't matter if it's a Platypus or a Nalgene, it's going to freeze though personally I have never had either style freeze on me down into the teens. It just depends on where you put it and a bit of common sense.

One thing you DO have to watch with ANY water filtration (save for tablets) is not to let the filter membrane freeze. It will will crack and effectively be useless.
Keep it in a warm spot or tucked in a jacket (since they are tiny) and no issues.

#188547 - 01/13/15 08:10 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: Mr. Jowee]
Mama Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I wear my camel back under my jacket, otherwise it freezes up right quick.

-Mama

#188548 - 01/13/15 08:22 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Hi, Mouse: I've always found it difficult to fill the Evernew bottles (or any other small-mouth opening) in a horizontal position - such as when you're trying to fill them in a stream. It seems that the combination of the small opening and the collapsed bottle means that the water won't fill it. (I've tried holding the bottle open, whch helps a little, but not much.) It's not a problem to fill them if I have a vertical stream, like a waterfall or just a foot or so drop over some rocks, but when there's no vertical flow, it's problematic.

Have you ever found a solution for this? (A 3 ounce Sawyer Squeeze filter and some inconvenience is still better than a convenient 16 ounce filter.)

#188551 - 01/13/15 08:56 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

I use my cooking pot to dip and fill in those cases. Plus I filter the water before putting it into the Smart Water bottles, so I'm never using those at the water source. My "dirty water" container is a 2L Evernew container.

You can rig up a gravity filter system with a Sawyer Squeeze or Mini that works just as well as everyone else's gravity system. No squeezing, no pumping. I find the squeezing as bad as the pumping! With gravity filters, you do have to keep an eye out, to "burp" air out of the bottles as they fill.

I was amused about the comment about the MSR guy praising the Platypus filter--they are the same company! Cascade Designs brands

Edited by OregonMouse (01/13/15 09:08 PM)

#188553 - 01/13/15 09:57 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

I was amused by that, too - the local outfitter had both, and I couldn't tell any difference at all in the filter itself (except the label - kind of like the way Chevys and Pontiacs only differed by the insignia for a while.) The big difference was in the containers (Platys v. Dromlite-like bags. The Platypus seemed a bit easier to use.

Using the pot works, too - except that I have to dig the pot out of my pack. (The filter lives in a side pocket on the outside of the pack.) I thought you might have one of those elegantly simple solutions that would make me slap my forehead and go "Doh!!" in true Homer Simpson fashion. smile

#188554 - 01/13/15 11:54 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

I have been known to use the bottom three fourths of a cut-off one liter soda bottle. Nice thing about that is that you can pinch it enough to pour all the water into the small opening of the water bottle without spilling. It also protects the windscreen I made for my canister stove to keep it from getting bashed out of shape. I usually take the cut-down bottle only when one of the grandkids is with me, and he/she gets to carry it. When I'm alone, I use my cooking pot, which is usually close to the top of my pack. Out here in the western mountains, though, there's usually plenty of falling water--the pot is needed only for lakes.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/13/15 11:57 PM)

#188577 - 01/14/15 10:35 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: OregonMouse]
AdventureMyk Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

I was amused about the comment about the MSR guy praising the Platypus filter--they are the same company! Cascade Designs brands

My bad, it was Katydin. I thought about that after the post. Sorry for the confusion.

#188594 - 01/15/15 02:53 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: OregonMouse]
carbeque Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I have been known to use the bottom three fourths of a cut-off one liter soda bottle. Nice thing about that is that you can pinch it enough to pour all the water into the small opening of the water bottle without spilling. It also protects the windscreen I made for my canister stove to keep it from getting bashed out of shape.

I'm gonna steal that idea. Better than getting "dirty water" all over my drinking bottles when filling (in the event of using iodine tablets, which I really like doing), and a great way to protect a windscreen! Heck, a kitchen bag could even live in the middle of that!

I'm going to work out all of these little details in the next month or two as I put together my first semi-serious lightweight setup. Last year I did overnight hikes (yes, only one night) with a 60-pound external frame pack. Basically a hybrid between backpacking and car camping... Those days are over, and I'm excited at the prospect of having MUCH more fun backpacking. ;-)

Edited by carbeque (01/15/15 02:54 PM)

#188597 - 01/15/15 05:53 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: carbeque]
Glenn Roberts Offline

I'm going to steal it, too. I think I've still got the Sawyer water bottle that came with the filter - I'll cut the top third or so off it, and end up with a nice, collapsible dipper.

I KNEW Mouse was hiding a "Doh!!" moment in there! smile

#188600 - 01/15/15 07:09 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Just wasn't thinking, sorry! I like your version better!

#188617 - 01/16/15 03:55 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: carbeque]
Matt Keenan Offline

Loc: California
+ one for reusing any water or gatorade bottle all.
They last a really long time and you can get them with out BPA and other stuff if you know what to look for.

Always good to reuse, and you wont ever lose a 20$ bill if you leave your bottle some where.

#188668 - 01/19/15 08:24 PM Re: The ultimate in lightweight water bottle(s)... [Re: Matt Keenan]
bob13bob Offline

Loc: California, United States
I use aquafina or smartwater 1l water bottles. They fit with my sawyer mini filter.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum