Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170366 - 10/10/12 11:05 PM Should I get shoes or a backpack?
HikingChump Offline

If I can only get one, and I want to hike, say 2 - 3 days or less, "roughing it." The terrain is for lack of real knowledge of it "regular" woods. I mean it's not the side of a mountain or real rocky. All I have is sneakers. Just stay put until I get *all* the gear?

#170367 - 10/10/12 11:09 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: HikingChump]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
If by sneakers, you mean something like Keds or Converse, they will work fine. Lots of people used to hike in them. The only thing I'd suggest not using is running shoes as they don't grip well on the trail.

#170368 - 10/10/12 11:21 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: Gershon]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Can't go anywhere if you can't walk......

#170372 - 10/11/12 12:04 AM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: rockchucker22]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Yep. I backpaed for years in Converse All_stars.

Way, way, way before they were cool.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#170417 - 10/11/12 04:44 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: balzaccom]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
I use nothing but sneakers. I can feel a rock or twig under them that would make me twist my ankle if I step wrong -- meaning I can move my foot, and thereby save my bacon. Besides, boots are too heavy and hot for me.

As long as the ones you have fit well with your hiking socks and aren't too terribly worn out, the use them. Opt for the pack.

#170492 - 10/13/12 11:24 AM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: Barefoot Friar]
HikingChump Offline

Originally Posted By Barefoot Friar
I use nothing but sneakers. I can feel a rock or twig under them that would make me twist my ankle if I step wrong -- meaning I can move my foot, and thereby save my bacon. Besides, boots are too heavy and hot for me.

As long as the ones you have fit well with your hiking socks and aren't too terribly worn out, the use them. Opt for the pack.

Why do people wear hiking boots and shoes? I just figured that was what you were supposed to have. I don't want to waste the money because of marketing. Also, I have hiking socks because I thought I was going to get the shoes, but can you wear them with regular sneakers? I mean I know you can :), but what do the sock do anyway versus regular tube socks?

Thanks for everyone's help here. thanks

edit: my current shoes are Asics running shoes, but I don't run. They're just comfortable. I'm not sure if they running or not actually, but I think they are.

Edited by HikingChump (10/13/12 11:28 AM)

#170493 - 10/13/12 11:53 AM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: HikingChump]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
For the most part, hiking socks have cushion and they reduce friction on your feet. The friction from regular socks can cause blisters. Of course poor fitted shoes can play a role in causing blisters or if your shoes are not tied tightly.

Edited by ETSU Pride (10/13/12 11:54 AM)

#170520 - 10/13/12 10:42 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: HikingChump]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Right and my hiking socks are wool. So they wick moisture away better than cotton, they don't stink nearly as bad, and they stay warm when wet. Oh, and they dry faster than cotton, too. I choose the mid-calf length, and just scrunch them down if I want something shorter than that. You may find a synthetic that does all that, in which case you're welcome to them. I've not had much luck in that department.

I do wear them when wearing my sneakers. You may have to tweak the laces a bit, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Why wear hiking boots? Because everyone does it. Well, except those who don't. Supposedly they give better ankle support, but one of the main reasons I wear sneakers is so that I can move my foot if I feel a twig or rock, thereby saving my (weak) right ankle. In boots I would invariably twist that ankle quicker than who flung the chunk. I know some people can feel the ground under their boots, and I'm proud of them. But I can't, so I don't wear them.

Edited by Barefoot Friar (10/13/12 10:43 PM)

#170522 - 10/13/12 11:38 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: HikingChump]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
I got tired of losing toenails. I've been hiking in my Brooks running shoes for about 20 years now......:)
Dee

#170539 - 10/14/12 04:09 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: ndwoods]
HikingChump Offline

Ok. Thanks. I just thought it was "the rules" so I didn't want to make a mistake.

#170546 - 10/14/12 05:38 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: ndwoods]
HikingChump Offline

Maybe I should get hiking shoes instead of boots? Aren't shoes waterproof? Morning dew could get your feet wet or walking around on the wet ground after a good rain.

#170548 - 10/14/12 06:22 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: HikingChump]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Shoes are not "waterproof" unless you find some with Goretex® lining. But, waterproof is a mixed blessing. With non-waterproof running or trail running shoes, yeah, they get wet quickly but dry almost as fast when conditions change. With "waterproof" boots or shoes, getting wet feet comes more slowly; but, in wet conditions, it comes eventually. And, when you have wet boots or waterproof shoes, they take forever to dry. So, "yer pays yer money and yer takes yer cherce": wet feet for part of a day or dry feet for a few hours and then wet feet for the rest of the trip. That has been my experience; YMMV (your mileage may vary).

#170553 - 10/14/12 08:57 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: HikingChump]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Where I hike most often are many stream crossings. I try to wear shoes that have more mesh, so they drain out quicker. Since I'm wearing good socks, I don't blister unless I'm slogging along in water for several hours. As soon as I step up out of the water, my shoes start to drain, and before long they're dry.

Compare that to my Merrell shoes that are waterproof (it was kind of an accident; didn't mean to buy those particular ones). If I walk across a stream, they fill up with water and then are wet all day long. I'll blister because walking in wet shoes is the same as slogging along in water, at least to my feet.

Plus waterproof shoes don't breathe out sweat, either. So on hot days you're going to have wetter feet, and the risk of blisters goes up.

#170554 - 10/14/12 08:59 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: HikingChump]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Can you pack what you have, put on the shoes you have, and go for a dayhike to test it out? You may not have to buy any shoes at all. Or you may decide that runners just aren't for you. Better to do that on a dayhike with an easy way out than on a trail for a weekend or longer.

#170557 - 10/14/12 09:51 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: Barefoot Friar]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Shoes or boots, at least as far as outdoors goes serve only one purpose-protect your feet. So, whatever works for you for that purpose is what you need. I've hiked in plastic climbing boots, full leather boots, lightweight boots and running shoes/cross-trainers. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. In my experience running shoes are comfortable but offer little protection and little or no ankle support; lightweight boots offer better ankle support and my full leather boots offer the most protection for the weight. Plastic boots are for winter, so I am discounting them here.

With a pack, I like a boot because I have a suspect ankle that seems to be fine most of the time, but I have no interest in testing it. I have also worn my leather boots on trails that would have shredded my running shoes because of the loose sharp rocks I was wading through at times.

Edited by TomD (10/14/12 09:51 PM)

#170572 - 10/15/12 10:18 AM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: HikingChump]
lori Offline

Tennis and running shoes aren't made for traction and protection, and hiking shoes are. Therefore I wear hiking shoes. But I go hiking every weekend and wear out a pair of shoes every year.

The difference is that hiking shoes have stiffer lasts, better lugs on the soles for traction on variable surfaces, and I find that the big toe bumper on the front protects me from the rocks, roots and junk in the trail (and off).

Full boots hurt my ankles and feet. So I wear shoes all year unless there's a lot of snow. I don't like waterproof unless I'm in wet snow, either. I'd much rather have wet socks and breathable shoes, than waterproof shoes - my feet never got wetter than when I tried Goretex.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#170628 - 10/15/12 10:31 PM Re: Should I get shoes or a backpack? [Re: HikingChump]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
With a lite well fit pack I can carry most loads bare foot. So I vote pack. But YMMV

Edited by Samoset (10/15/12 10:36 PM)
Edit Reason: can u beleive ive edited this post four times

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum