Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160866 - 01/22/12 06:19 PM What kind of pants have no cotton?
Tye Offline

Loc: Texas
Read all this about staying away from cotton. That makes sense. The shirts are easy to find. But, what kind of pants have no cotton? What pants do you like to hike/camp in?

#160867 - 01/22/12 06:37 PM Re: What kind of pants have no cotton? [Re: Tye]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Lots of choices out there. just read the labels. lots of "sport" pants are nylon, or polyester or nylon/spandex.

Browsing through wal-mart you can find a good selection of nylon or polyester pants..

In my local thrift store there are lots of "track pants" - often just nylon shells. those work good. there is also often a good selection of polyester or wool dress pants - don't discount these! they work good too (although while wool is warm it doesn't dry as fast).

Alternatively REI or your favorite hiking store will have lots of nylon hiking pants, and convertible pants/shorts.

At the higher end there's the schoeller dyneema and fancy mountaineering fabrics - these are generally tougher thicker synthetics. they're pricy though.

In a nutshell, look at labels, you can get away with anything from cheap wal-mart pants, 5 or 10 dollar thrift store pants, or 120 dollar schoellers...

Think a little bit about where you'll be, and how fast what you're holding is likely to dry...
Browse my pictures

#160893 - 01/22/12 09:07 PM Re: What kind of pants have no cotton? [Re: phat]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I keep an eye out for nylon or polyester. Most major retailers have numerous models. It seems to me that the artificial fabrics are, among other advantages, more durable than cotton items. I have quite a few that are more than ten years old, while cotton garments, which i do like for many work situations, don't last nearly as long.

#160901 - 01/22/12 09:48 PM Re: What kind of pants have no cotton? [Re: oldranger]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By oldranger
I keep an eye out for nylon or polyester. Most major retailers have numerous models. It seems to me that the artificial fabrics are, among other advantages, more durable than cotton items. I have quite a few that are more than ten years old, while cotton garments, which i do like for many work situations, don't last nearly as long.

I dunno. I can ususally resoundingly thrash a pair of hiking pants in a season smile

Carhartt's take a better beating than that. I just wouldn't wanna hike in 'em smile
Browse my pictures

#160913 - 01/22/12 11:53 PM Re: What kind of pants have no cotton? [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
The warning about cotton only applies in certain situations. Like many things, it has been over-generalised. Cotton is fine in hot or warm weather. Look at what people in the Middle East wear-cotton.

In cooler or wet weather, that is when cotton should be avoided-when it gets wet, it stays wet and is a poor insulator. Fleece and wool work well, along with synthetic shells of one kind of another. I have Marmot Precip rain pants I wear in winter. I use Capilene for my base layer and have both fleece and a pair of synthetic insulated pants for warmth.

Some people wear wool for both base layer and insulation, things like Merino wool and surplus military wool pants.

In extremely cold weather (below freezing), cotton works fine as your outer windproof layer over wool or synthetic insulators.

#160935 - 01/23/12 11:10 AM Re: What kind of pants have no cotton? [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
The best wearing,( ie most rugged) that I have found are the cotton blends. Dicki's and Carhart both make dress pants that are 50/50. They wear like iron and outlast any 100% cotton canvas. They also dry fast, and are lighter. The military also uses 50/50 for their uniforms. It is a good compromise.

#160941 - 01/23/12 12:16 PM Re: What kind of pants have no cotton? [Re: finallyME]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I go cheap on lots of my hiking clothes (Columbia shirts for example), but I tend to watch for sales and buy the more expensive pants. I like schoeller dryskin - very tough material- designed for climbing so it is heavier than most backpack pants but they last forever. I found some Arcteryx light nylon pants on sale at REI and then use fleece longjohns to add warmth when needed. With the schoeller pants I do not take long johns. So with the extra weight of long johns I have not really saved weight, but have added to the versitality of the clothing system. You can get by with part cotten in some areas, but I strictly stay away from ANY cotton when in wet-cold conditions. I have done lots of hiking in wool pants too. This is pretty "old school" nowadays. Men's light dress wool pants are great and I can pick them up at Goodwill for a few dollars. Some people do not like the feel of wool. Also in the "old days" standard hiking system was to wear nylon shorts over wool long johns. I actually like that system although it looks really funny. I am also a big fan of gaiters. I often wear long gaiters with hiking shorts, leaving my knees free yet protecting me from getting wet with dew. Different slothing may be appropriate for different climates and conditions. Where and what temperatures and moisture do you anticipate?

#160961 - 01/23/12 02:45 PM Re: What kind of pants have no cotton? [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I still own a pair of Air Force surplus tropical weight pants, 50% polyester and 50% wool, bought in the 1980's. They are wonderful hiking pants. The bottoms of the cuffs are pretty raggedy, but the rest of the fabric is in mint condition.

Even 50% cotton gains a lot of weight when it gets wet and is slow to dry, although a lot faster than 100% cotton. I have a pair of name brand nylon exercise pants bought (on sale) at Big 5 Sporting goods for (as I recall) $11. Check for track and exercise pants at the athletic (not outdoor) departments at the big box stores (KMart, Target, WallyWorld, etc.) and the big discount sporting goods chains. Great synthetic (usually some form of polyester) wicking tops and underwear can be found there, too.

As Tom mentions, cotton does have its place--in hot, dry (i.e. desert) conditions you can soak a cotton T-shirt and have your built-in cooler for several hours. In high humidity, though, the cotton just gets soggy with sweat and stays unpleasant.

In cold damp conditions, though, cotton can be a death trap. My daughter got into the early stages of hypothermia wearing jeans with the temp about 60*. We were hiking in waist-high grass and brush which was soaking wet from prior rain. By the time I realized what was going on, she probably would not have been able to save herself. I stopped, set up camp, got her undressed and into two layers of sleeping bag and started forcing hot tea and cocoa into her. At least she learned a lesson about trying to be fashionable on the trail!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/23/12 02:52 PM)

#160964 - 01/23/12 03:19 PM Re: What kind of pants have no cotton? [Re: OregonMouse]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
"Also in the "old days" standard hiking system was to wear nylon shorts over wool long johns. I actually like that system although it looks really funny. I am also a big fan of gaiters."

This is almost exactly what I wore in New Zealand while hiking much of the time, except I had on Capilene instead of wool. Over that I had a pair of surf shorts and wore tall gaiters. It is what BearPaw, an old member here called the "Peter Pan" look. Funny looking or not, in cool, wet weather, it works great. Once I stopped, I would pull on my fleece pants. I also had a lightweight Gore-Tex 2 piece rainsuit, but it didn't work all that well.

Jeans are the worst of all worlds-heavy, won't keep you warm at all, too hot in hot weather and when wet, as OM says, even in relatively warm weather, will cause hypothermia. Save them for around town.

Edited by TomD (01/23/12 03:21 PM)

#161884 - 02/09/12 01:16 PM Re: What kind of pants have no cotton? [Re: Tye]
QiWiz Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
Nylon ones will be the most durable, IMO. I'm a fan of Railriders "Weatherpants".

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum