Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126791 - 01/14/10 12:59 PM Hiking Umbrella
bigsac Offline

Loc: Sacramento CA
My friend talked me into doing a three day backpack at Point Reyes National Seashore and there is a 90% chance of rain Sunday and Monday. I hate wearing rain gear, which in my case is Dri-Ducks, so I was thinking of bringing the rain gear, but also bringing an umbrella. I noticed on the weather report that the wind will vary from 6 to 21 mph. I'm wondering if it's feasible to use an umbrella in a 21 mph wind.

On a side note, Point Reyes is an interesting place. I've met and talked to three hiking celebrities there over the years, possibly because of it's proximity to San Francisco. Steve Young, former 49ers quarterback, Matthew McConaughy, and of all people, David Bowie. Matthew McConaughy was with girlfriend at the time Penelope Cruz, although I didn't know who she was until I got home and my wife pulled out a People magazine. She didn't say anything. They were all nice people, although David Bowie was a little reserved, in the typical English manner. Steve Young was acting goofy in a likable way, sort of like the Toyota commercials he does. McConaughy was especially friendly maybe because I'm an Irish-American like him.

#126794 - 01/14/10 01:17 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: bigsac]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm wondering if it's feasible to use an umbrella in a 21 mph wind.

At 6mph it would be a tussle, but one you might win. In a 21 mph wind you will lose that struggle 99% of the time. Even a poncho is bit of a monster at 21 mph.

#126797 - 01/14/10 03:32 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: bigsac]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I hike with a "lightened" umbrella in winds up to about 15 mph. With umbrella tilted down, it will survive. You'll get tired of fighting it though. If the wind gets under it, it will turn inside out. I tried deploying an umbrella as a kayak sail in winds approaching 20 and it turned inside out before I could control it....total failure.

#126799 - 01/14/10 04:42 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: Dryer]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If the umbrella doesn't turn inside out, you could sail away like Mary Poppins (remember her?). laugh

#126800 - 01/14/10 04:48 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Ah, yes, Mary Poppins! The covert inspiration for the Flying Nun!

#126802 - 01/14/10 07:17 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: aimless]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
An ultralight umbrella would work, simply remove the fabric material. goodjob You're welcome in advance.
Jim YMMV crazy May as well drill holes in the handle too.

Edited by Jimshaw (01/14/10 07:18 PM)

#126803 - 01/14/10 07:30 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: bigsac]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
The hiking with an umbrella thing has always been a mystery to me. The people that do it must hike in much nicer weather conditions than I've been lucky enough to encounter.

#126806 - 01/14/10 08:18 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: aimless]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Maybe you could put some holes in the fabric, to reduce the sail effect. wink

#126807 - 01/14/10 08:19 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: skippy]
Glenn Offline

And not in the forest, where every branch tries to snag it.

#126813 - 01/14/10 09:16 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: bigsac]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Here's a review that might interest you.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...thread_id=10423

And here is an alternate view (scroll far down the page)
http://www.toddshikingguide.com/Gear/LWGear.htm

Edited by Tango61 (01/14/10 09:23 PM)

#126818 - 01/14/10 10:22 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: bigsac]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I just looked at the forecast - looks really nasty for Sunday and Monday. There is a nice Hostel near Coast Camp. If I were you I would plan on spending Sunday night at the Hostel.

Be aware that in heavy rains the coastal cliffs are not safe - be sure to stay away from the cilffs and do not hike on the coast directly under a cliff. Glen Camp is the most sheltered camp. I would definitely avoid Wildcat on Sunday night! Sky camp has some timber shelter but it is up quite high - likely to be very windy. Coast camp is half an hour from the Hostel so I suppose you could bail out there if needed.

#126827 - 01/15/10 09:20 AM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: bigsac]
Dryer Offline

Oh. I see we have "umbrella user intolerance" (UUI) on this website. Oh yes, I've suffered the cruel jokes. Even from my hiking buddies. The "Mary Poppins" jokes. The "pretty parasol" jokes. The "i thought you had a satellite dish" jokes. Ahhhh yes.
I hike mostly desert. It can be 110 deg. on the desert floor, sun beating down...me standing cool and comfortable under my 100% portable shade (that doubles as a tarp pole)...the jokesters sunburned, sweat dripping, overheated...and still they make their insensitive jokes. The joke's on whom, here? I'll continue with my umbrella lifestyle, and no, I will not share my shade. Laugh all you want. cool

Edited by Dryer (01/15/10 09:24 AM)

#126831 - 01/15/10 10:56 AM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: Dryer]
Glenn Offline

Good point - I never thought about the desert, since I don't hike there; there are certainly no trees lining the trail to grab at it. Any issues with high wind? (I would point out that St. Colin never used an umbrella in the desert - he preferred to putz around with his tarp. Of course, his tarp wasn't very mobile. wink )

My own umbrella intolerance goes way beyond this forum - I rarely use them in town, either. I've found that by the time I get it out, deploy it as I'm getting out of the car, then take it down before I enter the building, I get just as wet as if I just get out of the car and walk briskly into the building. It also eliminates the whole issue of what to do with the d@## thing once I'm inside.

#126839 - 01/15/10 05:25 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: Dryer]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
I can see how an umbrella might be useful in the desert or somewhere where the wind doesn't blow. To each their own... smile

#126843 - 01/15/10 06:35 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: Dryer]
Jimshaw Offline

Dryer
The OM was talking about Pt Reyes. Can you say windy ocean shore? If you do get any sun there you wouldn't want to block it with your parasol, you want it to shine on you so maybe some of the moisture from horizontally driven rain might evaporate.
Jim

#126845 - 01/15/10 06:54 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Jim, I've stood on Pt. Reyes. If he reinforced his parasol with naugahyde and added truss lines of Amsteel Blue 1/4" line, with a piece of rebar for a handle, he'd be fine. Probably ought to wear cleats/lugs to keep from sliding. But he'll be shady. It's getting kinda deep around here....hmmmmmm.

(jim, look at my 1st response...I suggested an umbrella wouldn't work.)

Edited by Dryer (01/15/10 06:58 PM)

#126848 - 01/15/10 08:35 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: Dryer]
aimless Online   content

Dryer,

FWIW, I too have been known to crack open an umbrella on the trail. Here in western Oregon you don't get quite so many snide comments. Especially from October to April.

Jim, of course, is from Bend in central Oregon, where the Chamber of Commerce boasts about their 330 days a year with sunshine. (They know how that drives us western Oregonians up a wall.) wink

Wind, without a doubt is the Achilles heel of umbrellas. They just don't cope well with it. frown

#126854 - 01/16/10 12:29 AM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: aimless]
Jimshaw Offline

Aimless
I'm now in Sisters and we only get 320 days a year WITH SUNSHINE - ha ha ha... laugh
Jim

#127001 - 01/19/10 05:42 PM Re: Hiking Umbrella [Re: Jimshaw]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I've seen umbrellas on the street with wind vents. Basically a large circle with the middle cut out on the frame with a medium sized circle over that is attatched only on the frame and not sewn to the bigger circle.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum