Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118644 - 07/23/09 07:41 AM Cost of a one-two year used pack?.
EricaStolte Offline

Loc: SouthernVT
Ok,
So I've been narrowing my search down to used to save money( I figure/hope if I tried the same brand packs in the shops this will work out OK)...Been wondering, how much is a one-two year used pack worth on the market?.

Happily I've figured out more of what I want:

- Something lighter ( my pack that I'm using ( windypass North face) seems to weight 5 lbs according to online sources) So a pack that weights no more then 3 lbs would be nice.

- Something with decent pockets( I love the waist strap pockets and organization. I don't really care for carting about a tall sack that needs to be emptied to find something.

- Possibly a smaller pack. If I have more pockets,my pack size can easily go down.

- If the used pack really doesn't work out, hopefully I can resell it without losing funds because it's already used.

- Something in the range of 35-50 liters. I was told my current pack is 50 liters.

Edited by EricaStolte (07/23/09 08:08 AM)

#118652 - 07/23/09 12:28 PM Re: Cost of a one-two year used pack?. [Re: EricaStolte]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Your thread title appears to be asking the cost of such a used pack. The only good answer is: it will vary considerably, depending on what the pack cost when new, how much it has been used, and the current owner's idea of what the pack "should" cost.

Just keep your eye on the 'For Sale Forum' on this site, on ebay and Craigslist and similar resources for used gear. You'll certainly find something out there for you.

#118687 - 07/24/09 07:53 AM Re: Cost of a one-two year used pack?. [Re: aimless]
EricaStolte Offline

Loc: SouthernVT
Yes, except it really helps to know prices when shopping for used items. For instance, if you don't know/have a clear price range set it's very easy to get ripped off on ebay.

#118692 - 07/24/09 11:46 AM Re: Cost of a one-two year used pack?. [Re: EricaStolte]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
The problem is that a fair price could be anywhere from $5 to $200. It depends on what pack you are looking at. What you are asking is like asking how much is a used car worth. An abused beater could be worth $100 and a used Mercedes could be worth $15,000.

#118758 - 07/26/09 03:55 PM Re: Cost of a one-two year used pack?. [Re: EricaStolte]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I would check discount web sites first before buying used. For example, Sierra Trading Post. Also, every web dealer (see the sponsors on this site- left side of screen) have lots of sales. My impression is that people usually want too much for used gear. I just got a Kelty pack (I only wanted the frame) at the REI garage sale for $20. I also would not buy a used pack without seeing it, touching it and trying it on.

#118937 - 07/31/09 11:23 PM Re: Cost of a one-two year used pack?. [Re: wandering_daisy]
skinewmexico Offline

When I want a pack, used, I just look at the retail, and then see if the one I find used is discounted to a point I like. If I'm shopping for new, I use a sight called spadeout.com to find and compare prices. If you just want something lighter, I'm seeing women's GoLite packs on closeout everywhere online.

Edited by skinewmexico (07/31/09 11:23 PM)

#118944 - 08/01/09 08:27 AM Re: Cost of a one-two year used pack?. [Re: EricaStolte]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
A rule of thumb I have used for buying anything from the internet is 30% for new items. This applies to camera gear, scuba gear, computers, and now hiking gear. If I can't get 30% below the local dealers prices, I will buy local and watch for their sales, hopefully 20-25% off. I would think used should start at 50% off for something that is basically in new condition and go down from there.

#118996 - 08/03/09 03:11 AM Re: Cost of a one-two year used pack?. [Re: scottyb]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I think Scotty's estimate is pretty accurate. Used gear-half or less is my benchmark.

Prices tend to be less on Craigslist than what things sell for on eBay. Auctions often drive the price up when someone really wants something. I've seen things sell for more than retail, which makes no sense at all. I let someone know that one time-they had no idea they'd paid too much because they were in Europe.

I saw a company selling brand name sleeping bags for way above retail, so be sure to check the manufacturer's site before bidding on anything.

Check out Craigslist Reader-it is a free program that will search every Craigslist city on the planet for you or just the ones you want. I've found several things that way, including a nearly new pair of ski boots at about 1/3 retail, including shipping. Craigslist warns about dealing with out of town buyers because of scams, but if you are upfront about what you are doing and pay promptly with PayPal like I have done, people are less suspicious.

Check the classifieds here, if you've belonged long enough to post there. Members often sell gear they don't need or want for one reason or another.

btw, a $15K Mercedes is a beater in many cases.

Edited by TomD (08/03/09 03:15 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum