Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116974 - 06/07/09 06:37 PM Gear List Help
swim/bike/run Offline

Loc: Minnesota
This is my Base Pack. I weighed each item on a digital scale. Many of the manufacture weights were not correct. I was wondering if my pack is too heavy and how to trim off some more weight. I know that if I switched from a tent to a tarp I would drop some weight I don't carry trekking poles so it may be tough. Does anyone know of any tarps that are lightweight and do not require trekking poles. I like to move very fast and light. How about alcohol stoves. I am new to this so any help would be appreciated.

Core
Pack: Deuter Speed Lite 30 (1850 cubic inches) 1 lb14 oz
Shelter: Mountain Hardware Sprite Tent/stakes 3 lb 3 oz
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Trail Pad 15 oz
Sleeping Bag: Deuter Dream lite 500 1 lb 5.2 oz
Stove MSR Pocket Rocket with case 3.8 oz
Fuel: MSR fuel 7 oz
Cup/pan: Optimus Terra cook set 6.2 oz
Spork: Orange 0.2 oz

Survival
Headlamp/Light: Black Diamond 3 oz
First Aid Kit: Adventure Medical Kit 2.6oz
Compass: Brunton Classic 1 oz
Toilet Paper: Coghlans 1.2 oz
Poncho: Emergency Poncho 2 oz
Water Treatment Aquamira A/B 3 oz
Lighter: Small Bic 0.4 oz

Clothing
Shirt Zoot Runfit Singlet 3 oz
Socks Asics Hydrology Low Cut Socks 1.4 oz
Shorts Asics R/D Split Shorts 3 oz

Accessories
MSR Mug Mate: 1 oz
Insect Repellant: 1.6 oz
Wisp Toothbrush: 0.2 oz
Waterproof case/matches 0.8 oz
Tinfoil 0 .6 oz
Can Opener 0.4 oz

TOTAL WEIGHT 9LB 15.6 oz

#116977 - 06/07/09 07:19 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: swim/bike/run]
acronym Offline

Loc: Boston - MA
Tarptent - upper left ad, you can use a regular pole instead of trekking poles. I use a contrail. Mountain laurel designs also sells tarps and CF poles.

what are you carrying water in?

I usually carry an extra pair of socks and body glide.

I don't know how tall you are but that thermarest has to be a small size. I'm trying a reg NeoAir for a 3 day AT run this weekend.

others will chime in about carrying 2 bics instead of the matches and a regular toothbrush with the handle cut off instead of the wisp.

add extra rope and a 'biner to hang food or just about anything.

I also carry deet wipes, single use packets of sunblock, a leatherman squirt, and a bandanna or a packable towel.

#116978 - 06/07/09 07:35 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: acronym]
swim/bike/run Offline

I will most likely carry water in a 32 oz Aquafina bottle.

You are correct about the thermarest trail pad it is a small self inflating one.

Where can a person buy sunblock wipes?

#116979 - 06/07/09 07:51 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: swim/bike/run]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
It may depend on where you are going. If you are backpacking in the midwest then you can take a tarp with no poles because there are always trees to tie off to. If you go out west it's a different story of course. When I go fast and light in the Ozarks I just bring a poncho/tarp and tie off to trees or use sticks that I find as poles. I also use it for rainwear so it does double duty -- further lightening my load.

Other that the tent and the lack of hydration system (already mentioned) this is a pretty respectable list.

#116982 - 06/07/09 08:36 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: Heber]
swim/bike/run Offline

what other options are available when it comes to hydration.

I have a Salomon twin belt that I use for ultra running. I can wear it with my pack but choose not to due to the extra weight (8 oz)

What does everyone else use for hydration?

#116984 - 06/07/09 09:00 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: swim/bike/run]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You don't necessarily need a fancy hydration system (unless that's what you prefer), but you do need some kind of water containers. I take a 1-liter and two 2.5 liter Platypus bottles, probably the lightest and most compact option. If budget is a problem, soda and gatorade bottles work fine. A lot depends on where you'll be hiking. If you're going to be in the desert or on waterless ridges, you'll need to carry plenty of water. If there are frequent water sources, one liter of water at a time is enough, but it's helpful to have more capacity in case you're camping far from water (which gives you more options for places to camp).

#116990 - 06/07/09 10:02 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: swim/bike/run]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Boy, I wish I could get away with a pack that small, although my over twice the size pack weights less than your pack. I need more clothes being out here in the Sierra though.

#116994 - 06/07/09 11:27 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: hikerduane]
swim/bike/run Offline

I also have gone through a clothing crisis, living in Minnesota the temps can be unpredictable. Last week while I was out I woke with a light frost on my tent, later in the day it was 65 degrees out. I usually wear a pair of Mizuno thermo breath pants which are lightweight and warm along with a light jacket or technical running shirt, my under armour beanie also has come in handy. Most of my trips are 2-3 days so I don't need a lot of extra clothes. If it gets too cold just add a log to the fire.

#117006 - 06/08/09 09:09 AM Re: Gear List Help [Re: swim/bike/run]
acronym Offline

I use a 3l bladder in my bag (golite vo24) and carry at least 1 other item for water should the bladder develop a hole.

about the aquamira - I use a filter, I don't have enough patience to wait, especially on a hot day and water is low. Fill, add tablets, wait, drink, fill, add tablets, go. Does it effervesce? I use Nuun for electrolytes, but it doesn't work well in a sealed bottle.

#117007 - 06/08/09 09:12 AM Re: Gear List Help [Re: swim/bike/run]
acronym Offline

Originally Posted By swim/bike/run

Where can a person buy sunblock wipes?

honestly? I've never bought them - always have been able to grab a handful at races. Plus the 'body glide' in my first aid kit is the little things that the USAT gives out at races

Edited by acronym (06/08/09 09:13 AM)

#117028 - 06/08/09 04:52 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: acronym]
swim/bike/run Offline

Has anyone used the Go Lite Ultra-lite poncho/Tarp? I could get my pack down to 7.5 lbs If I dropped My Mountain Hardware sprite tent and used the tarp (10oz) instead. I have never considered using a tarp, I like the security a tent offers plus protection from the wind and rain but the tarp would allow me to move faster and spend less time setting up camp.

What experiences good or bad has anyone else had with a tarp?

#117029 - 06/08/09 05:42 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: swim/bike/run]
Perkolady Offline

Loc: GA
I REALLY enjoy tarping- (when the bugs aren't too bad). I tried out a poncho tarp a couple times and found that it just didn't give me the room and protection I would have liked compared to a larger tarp. I'm not a large person, but I still like having room to spread out a little. I found even simple things like trying to change clothes, or unstuffing a quilt seem to require more room for me than a poncho tarp has to offer.

It's pretty tight in there if you have to 'batten down the hatches in severe weather!

You may find you'd prefer something the size of an 8x10 tarp. Still pretty lightweight, but more protection and lots more room.

For several years I used a simple 8x8 tarp, but that even left a lot to be desired for me. I would use a flying diamond setup in bad weather. I found it seemed a little short for when the weather was really bad though.

Then, I made a 10x10. That is a very versatile size! Lots of different ways to set up for great protection and room too.

I suggest you get out there with whatever shelter you may want to try- IN THE BAD WEATHER! See just how difficult or easy it would be to set up your shelter with the wind and blowing rain, and how it would be to get things set up under there, changing clothing, etc. You will get a good idea real quick if something can work out for YOU or not by testing it out under the worst conditions you possibly can.

While everyone likes to carry a lighter pack, only you can decide if the 'price' is worth it for YOU. It all depends on what your priorities are. Best to try things out first though either way.

#117030 - 06/08/09 05:52 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: Perkolady]
swim/bike/run Offline

Will the flying diamond set up only work with a tarp that has 3 corners?

#117032 - 06/08/09 06:11 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: swim/bike/run]
Perkolady Offline

Loc: GA
Flying diamond configuration can be done with any square (or even rectangular) tarp. Being that it is set up diagonally rather than in an 'A' frame, it gives more coverage length-wise. It can be rather saggy though. frown

#117036 - 06/08/09 09:13 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: swim/bike/run]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I used tarps for a lot of years, and just put up with the bugs. I liked my tarps a lot, but when 2 - 2.5 pound solo tents came along, I never looked back: same great ventilation (without the fly), good storm protection, and no heavier than my tarps.

"No heavier?" you say, "but an 8x10 silnylon tarp only weighs a pound! And you call yourself an accountant?!"

The fact is, you can't use a tarp alone; it has to be a tarp plus something: tarp and bivy, tarp and groundcloth, etc. The "something" weighs something, too. And don't forget the stakes.

I'm not trying to turn you against tarps - they're a very pleasant way to camp. Just be sure, when you're comparing weights, to include not only the tarp, but the stakes, cord, and "something" to make sure you're really saving weight. (Don't count the weight of your hiking poles, which you'll use to pitch the tarp, since you'll be carrying the poles anyhow.)

#117196 - 06/12/09 06:34 PM Re: Gear List Help [Re: Glenn]
rambler Offline

For a poncho/tarp check out the Gatewood Cape at six Moon Designs. For bug protection in a shelter, look at the Wild Oasis at the same site. Both are excellent shelters. Weight about 11 oz.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/571720316aNJADA

Edited by rambler (06/12/09 06:34 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum