Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115647 - 05/07/09 10:28 PM Barefoot shoes?
Teej Offline

Loc: USA
Has anyone tried any of the new types of shoes designed to feel like you bare feet? Supposedly, there have been studies release saying the way we are walking heel to toe is the reason people have problems with knees, backs, etc. I have read a couple of good articles. There seems to be a few companies who have designed some interesting stuff, Vibram five fingers has some outdoors styles. Just wondering if anyone has any experience. We did walk barefoot for thousands of years before we had cross traininers.

#115650 - 05/07/09 11:07 PM Re: Barefoot shoes? [Re: Teej]
lori Offline

If i were always walking barefoot my feet might be in excellent shape for such, however, civilization being what it is... I'll stick with the protection of a good fitting boot.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#115654 - 05/07/09 11:39 PM Re: Barefoot shoes? [Re: Teej]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I experimented with the Nike Free mainly because I found a new pair on sale for only $20. Nike's own website says they're not for every day use. They were supremely comfortable, but so are bedroom slippers, because they give up a lot of support.

I'm a horrible overpronator so they did not work for me even with occasional use. I gave them to my son and they worked fine for him but 16 year olds can wear almost anything.

I bought the Free as a running shoe, not a hiking shoe.

#115668 - 05/08/09 07:51 AM Re: Barefoot shoes? [Re: lori]
BorealHiker Offline

Loc: The Third Maine
Originally Posted By lori
If i were always walking barefoot my feet might be in excellent shape for such, however, civilization being what it is... I'll stick with the protection of a good fitting boot.

A subject near and dear to my heart. I am one of the lucky ones who does manage near constant barefooting outside for half the year (In Maine, you can imagine that the other half of the year, not so much.)And I don't mean in public places so much. I mean working on garden projects, pruning (everything except rose beds) site restoration projects, where I try to return a place to be very much like the Acadian environments I so love to hike thru (boreal forest and related.) Thus I always have the conditioning that most people in this culture can never have, at least not without some extra effort, along with the health benefits.

When conditions are too rough even for me (long expanses of pointy rocks) it's my Chacos with the vibram treads. These also extend the season at both ends. What we also need is open air and sun, the great enemies of fungi and bacteria which love to breed in that closed up sweaty environment of shoes. Of course, I AM in Maine, and at some point in November I have to give this up for several months for obvious reasons.

I received a bit of support in the most recent edition of "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlins. Lots of evidence on my side. But I realize this isn't a forum about barefoot hiking, so I usually avoid the subject and focus on the gear and experiences of all the rest of the members.

#115669 - 05/08/09 09:24 AM Re: Barefoot shoes? [Re: BorealHiker]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Quote:
I received a bit of support in the most recent edition of "The Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlins. Lots of evidence on my side. But I realize this isn't a forum about barefoot hiking, so I usually avoid the subject and focus on the gear and experiences of all the rest of the members.

This may not be a "barefoot hiking" forum, but it is a lightweight forum... it doesn't get lighter than bare feet. wink

#115672 - 05/08/09 10:09 AM Re: Barefoot shoes? [Re: Teej]
do1625 Offline

Loc: Stamford, CT
I've used the Vibram Five Fingers on two separate week-long trips. I plan to use them on my next trip as well, so that means I must like 'em. If stream crossings are part of your route, make sure you have the "shoes" secured so you don't lose them in a strong current. I also carry a pair of the lightest flipflops I can find for use around camp. If the Five Fingers have been wet all day...feet will be unhappy unless you can air them out.

#115679 - 05/08/09 11:48 AM Re: Barefoot shoes? [Re: Teej]
Roocketman Offline

Originally Posted By Teej
Has anyone tried any of the new types of shoes designed to feel like you bare feet? Supposedly, there have been studies release saying the way we are walking heel to toe is the reason people have problems with knees, backs, etc. I have read a couple of good articles. There seems to be a few companies who have designed some interesting stuff, Vibram five fingers has some outdoors styles. Just wondering if anyone has any experience. We did walk barefoot for thousands of years before we had cross trainers.

This is likely a recycled idea. About 20 or more years ago, these kinds of "rocker" based shoes were touted as a breakthrough.

There have been "shoe tinkerers" for a long time, and not all of the "Wonder Shoes" stand the test of time.

For example, recently there was a lot of emphasis on "Asymmetric" shoes with laces favoring one side, and the tops being of different heights between the legs and to the outsides.

These were the last "Breakthroughs" I spent my money on.

#115680 - 05/08/09 12:04 PM Re: Barefoot shoes? [Re: Teej]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I have thought about it. Mostly because my feet are weak, and I want to toughen them up. I am thinking about making a pair of moccasins to wear to work all day. This is my cheap solution, and I can't wear sandals to work. Unfortunately, so far, all I have done is thought about it.

#115751 - 05/09/09 08:39 PM Re: Barefoot shoes? [Re: jpanderson80]
BorealHiker Offline

Loc: The Third Maine
Strongly agree. It is a lightweight way. It does work some places. Or some sections of the hike. Other sections, not so much! I just do it whenever I can, which is a fair amount.

#116657 - 05/28/09 11:06 AM Re: Barefoot shoes? [Re: Teej]
redroach Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/...omas%20Vickers/

Dang, what a long url
I need tons of arch support for happy feet, but I wore the heck out of the Five Finger Flows last summer.
I really do like them and my feet liked them. If only I had better yoga toes

TV

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum