Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#116192 - 05/17/09 08:40 PM Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes
NitroSteel Offline

I've been alloted $100 from the boss (wife) and was looking on Sierra Trading post for boots on sale with good ratings overall.

I've narrowed it down to 2 different ones, that are both very highly rated and wondered what ya'll thought of them. I'll be doing 55 miles on the AT first week of June, so I need to get these ordered ASAP.

The two are "Vasque Zephyr Tech" and "La Sportiva Thunder". The Thunder's are Gore-Tex which would be a plus, however my feet always seem to get wet with Gore-Tex anyways... On the other hand I like the lacing (laceless) system on the Zephyr Tech boots. I basically always wear a size 10.5 medium width and it sounds like both of these boots fit true to size. I'm 4 hours from any decent outdoors store (REI), so I'm going to have to do mail order unless I pick them up on the way to the hike, which I think would be a huge mistake (no break-in period).

Both of these boots are 50% off, and are highly rated on all of the sites I checked.

Let me know what ya'll think. Thank you again for your help.

NitroSteel

Edited by NitroSteel (05/17/09 08:41 PM)

#116195 - 05/17/09 11:15 PM Re: Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes [Re: NitroSteel]
cpetterson Offline

Loc: Alberta
I'd try to find a local shop that has these shoes in stock and try them on before you order them. Gore-tex shoes aren't that great, you don't get wet from the creek but you'll be wet the rest of the time from the sweat. Laceless systems are great, I have them on my snowboard boots, but you can't fine tune the laces like a traditional lace. All the best in choosing.

#116205 - 05/18/09 12:21 PM Re: Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes [Re: NitroSteel]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“I'll be doing 55 miles on the AT first week of June, so I need to get these ordered ASAP.” and
“…so I'm going to have to do mail order unless I pick them up on the way to the hike, which I think would be a huge mistake (no break-in period).”

OMG, you are in a pickle. Dozens of miles are needed for boot breakins. If you must go in 2 weeks, be armed with blister prevention and medication. Air out your feet once/hour. Be prepared to get off the trail early in case toe/feet problems arise.
I would also shy away from anything with gortex and pick something that drains well.

How heavy is your loaded pack?

-Barry

#116207 - 05/18/09 02:10 PM Re: Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes [Re: NitroSteel]
mmendell Offline

Loc: Western Iowa
I don't know how heavy a pack you're carrying, but if I were you, I would NOT buy boots, even if I had the time to break them in...and you obviously don't.

Save yourself some misery, take the money and buy yourself a good quality pair of NON gore-tex trail runners. You'll never look back. Places like Zappos online have great turn-around service and carry great shoes like Inov8 and Montrails. Pick up some lightweight gaiters (Dirty Girl's are light, cheap, and work great) and you're all set.

Once you work through the notion that you NEED heavy boots and that your feet must stay dry, you'll be a happier camper. Unfortunately, it took me a couple of painful treks in very expensive leather boots to make the leap. I'll never hike in boots again.

My 2cents.

#116213 - 05/18/09 04:20 PM Re: Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes [Re: NitroSteel]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
Gore-tex shoes are great in the winter, when they keep my feet warm. In the summer, they are far too hot to wear hiking. I prefer mesh trail runners, but any lightweight non-waterproof shoe or boot would be preferable to a g/t boot, in my experience.

The key for me is that mesh trail runners get wet but they dry quickly. And they breathe much better and make my feet happy. Anyway those are my thoughts on shoes.

#116214 - 05/18/09 05:33 PM Re: Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes [Re: NitroSteel]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am with everyone who says to get trailrunners. You can definitely find them at non-outdoor stores.

BUT:
If you HAVE to have boots, you MUST try them on. If you mail-order, that knocks almost a week off your 2 week break in time. You are already at NO BREAK-IN PERIOD. Don't screw yourself anymore and buy boots that fit. Also consider that when the boots arrive in the mail, they might not fit. What do you do then?

My advice for boots....go into your closet and find a pair of tennis shoes that fit perfect. Wear them. On the way to the trailhead, stop in at a shop that sells the boots you want and try on some until you find the perfect match. Then wear the boots for a short time each day and wear the tennis shoes the rest of the time. Do this until the boots are broken in and then ditch the tennies.

Edited by finallyME (05/19/09 09:15 AM)

#116222 - 05/18/09 11:08 PM Re: Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes [Re: NitroSteel]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Nitro,
I'll try and answer your question.
If I were to choose between the two, I would pick the Zephyr because I don't like boots with gore-tex. They don't dry out quickly and make my feet hot.
I'm not sure I would trust the lace system and would carry extra laces.
I prefer Merrill Ventilator mid-height boots.
Here is a link to some that are $89.95.
http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=m&pcid=72074

I've got about 150 miles on mine and they are wearing fine.
I carry 20-35 lbs on weekend hikes (2-3 days).

(Yeah, I know it's too heavy smile , I'm working on it!!!)

#116227 - 05/19/09 08:50 AM Re: Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes [Re: Tango61]
NitroSteel Offline

Well I've got my Cabela's hikers that I've had for about 3 years. They are Gore-Tex, they are all leather, they are hot, and I usually get blisters....

I actually debated in my mind (not out loud) about wearing my New Balance "All Terrain" shoes, they are not nearly waterproof (wet grass gets your feet wet), but are comfortable, dry out fast and I never get blisters or having hurting feet. That being said, I've never hiked in them, so I just wasn't sure about the idea.

What if they start falling apart halfway through the trip (duct tape)?

I don't have any knee, ankle or other problems. My pack is proably going to finish out at about 30 lbs. If these are acceptable I'll wear them and never look back.

Thank ya'll again for your help.

NitroSteel

#116228 - 05/19/09 10:20 AM Re: Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes [Re: NitroSteel]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By NitroSteel
Well I've got my Cabela's hikers that I've had for about 3 years. They are Gore-Tex, they are all leather, they are hot, and I usually get blisters....

I actually debated in my mind (not out loud) about wearing my New Balance "All Terrain" shoes, they are not nearly waterproof (wet grass gets your feet wet), but are comfortable, dry out fast and I never get blisters or having hurting feet. That being said, I've never hiked in them, so I just wasn't sure about the idea.

What if they start falling apart halfway through the trip (duct tape)?

I was about to try to temper some of the trailrunner mafia jumping on you here, because it's not always the right solution for everyone in all situations (I wear boots probably about half the time, depending what I am doing) however now that you say that I'll join right in with them smile - If you have shoes that are like this for you, then I think the trailrunners may be a good choice for you.

Your feet will get wet, but dry quick. Take quick drying socks like a polyproylene liner sock or polypropylene dress socks, and then take dry sleeping socks to change into for sleeping. one pair to hike in, one to sleep in.

They are very unlikely to fall apart unless they already are doing so before you start. Lots of folks here hike in New Balance trailrunners. If you get into any bushy stuff you may find that a set of mini-gaiters helps keep the crap (sticks, pebbles, etc.) out of the top of them.

The key thing is not to blister and be comfortable.

Browse my pictures

#116253 - 05/19/09 03:05 PM Re: Need help with shoes/ thoughts on shoes [Re: phat]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
On a 55 mile backpack shoes should be at the top of your most important piece of gear list.

I always try on hiking boots before buying them. If they don't fit right and feel perfect I don't buy them. I try out every pair in several stores without even looking at the price or style before buying them. (I do it once a year)

It's amazing how different shoes feel when you try them out. Some hurt your feet within your first steps. Other feel so good you don't want to take them off. So try them all before buying. When you find the pair you want, try every pair in that style and size the store has. You'll find they're not all the same either, shoes are still hand made for the most part, so pick the best pair.

I don't adhere to the "You have to break them in" rule. That's old. Shoes made with the materials we have now shouldn't need to be broken in. And $100.00 is a lot of money for shoes. I expect a lot if I'm going to spend than much.

I know others here will argue with that, but I know that any shoe will "Break-in" to your feet if you wear it enough. The right shoe will feel best when it's new and wear out from there.

Do your feet a favor and take the time to find the right shoes.

I'm not a big fan of "Trailrunners". I don't think they give enough ankle support and I don't like they way debris get into them. I do a lot of bushwhacking, so that may have a lot to do with my choices.

The best lightweight hikers I've found (for me) are Merrill and Timberline. The Merrill's will probably run over your budget, but keep your eye out for the Timberline's because you might come in under budget with those.

Bill

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum