Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115136 - 04/29/09 12:33 PM Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give?
strolling Offline

Loc: midwest USA
ok, so my boyfriend is really into the hiking, backpacking stuff and I don't know much at all. He's got some good basic gear, and is planning a big trip this summer, are there any new toys, accessories, etc out there that a penny pinching backpacker might not have but would love? Thanks in Advance...

-Strolling

#115138 - 04/29/09 12:58 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: strolling]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
This is a tough question. Gear choices are very personal. If you read this forum you'll see that a given piece of equipment is loved by some and hated by others. One possibility is a gift certificate to someplace like REI. If you feel the need to buy something real, buy it someplace with a good return policy and keep the receipt. Also make it clear that you won't be offended if your boyfriend returns it for something else. Another possibility is to sit down with him and spend some time going through catalogs or online catalogs and get him to pick out the item he wants.

#115139 - 04/29/09 01:09 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: strolling]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
There are so many hiking styles, from ultralight to heavyweight, that it's nearly impossible to answer your question without knowing a whole lot more about what kind of gear he already has and whether or not he's trying to change to a different style.

If he has a favorite gear store, particularly one where he's on a first-name basis with the staff, you might go there and ask them if he's been eyeing anything in particular.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest a gift certificate at his favorite gear store. I'm in a similar boat as your boyfriend: I have very specific likes and dislikes, and a family that is well-intentioned but knows nothing about backpacking. I really appreciate gift certificates at the local outfitter more than an actual item, and over the years I've convinced them that a gift certificate is really a much more thoughtful gift than an actual thing.

If he doesn't have a favorite gear store, then a gift certificate to a major retailer (like REI, Moosejaw, or Backcountry Gear, among others) would also work. Click on the TLB Gear Portal on the upper right part of this page for links to some of the larger dealers. They carry a wide variety of stuff, so he'd probably be able to find something he wanted there.

Good luck, and remember, it really is the thought that counts. (Of course, if you'd learn to backpack, you wouldn't have problems like this in the future. grin )

Edited by Glenn (04/29/09 01:11 PM)

#115140 - 04/29/09 01:31 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: strolling]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
If you know what water treatment system he uses you could buy him some chemical tabs/drops if that is what he uses. Also depending on his eating habits you could possibly buy him some freeze dried food or something like Enertia Meals. If he uses and has a filter and dries his own meals disregard the above.

#115142 - 04/29/09 01:42 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: Glenn]
strolling Offline

How about a small, lightweight, handheld GPS? I do believe it's been on his wishlist....but I again don't know much about these things.

(I am and will be doing some backpacking with him but am not physically able to do 1/2 of what he does or go for the length of time he does. Besides, for him it's a guys thing and I believe he kinda likes it that way...)

#115143 - 04/29/09 01:43 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: GrumpyGord]
strolling Offline

Oooh, good idea, I do know he likes the MRE's!

#115149 - 04/29/09 03:20 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: strolling]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
It is possible but if he is planning a long trip I doubt that he will be using MRE's. I have the same problem when my non backpacking family wants to buy me something for Christmas or birthday. I have given them list of acceptable meals and inexpensive items. I certainly do not want them to spend money on things that I will never use.

#115153 - 04/29/09 04:01 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: strolling]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Get him a cool flashlight. Maybe a headlamp. LED lense and small.

This also works for little boys. If you give a little boy a flashlight, he will drop anything he is doing, and only play with the light until it goes out. Caution...if you go to a little boys birthday party and you know the parents bought something big, the cheap flashlight you give him will quickly replace the big expensive gift from his parents. Sorry, a little off topic. grin

#115156 - 04/29/09 05:45 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: strolling]
TrekkerScott Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
I agree, a gift card to his favorite store would be a good choice! It seems kind of lame, but backpacking stuff is expensive, and I have a list of very specific stuff I am planning on getting the next time I have enough money.
Otherwise, if you want to get him something, here are a few things he might like:

*GPS - Expensive, but I guarantee he would be ecstatic about it! This is on my list wink
*MSR Groundhog Tent Stakes (lighter=less pounds)
*Headlamp - Way more useful than a flashlight. (I have a Princeton personally)
*Anything that is new and cool/latest gear

Edited by TrekkerScott (04/29/09 05:47 PM)

#115157 - 04/29/09 06:29 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: TrekkerScott]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
* Anything stabby. Guys love knives grin

Cheers,

Rick

#115162 - 04/29/09 08:18 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: strolling]
lori Offline

If I were lucky enough to have a backpacking boyfriend, I would get him a backpacker's kit from Harmony House foods (online, dehydrated/freeze dried veggies), a box of ramen noodles, a box of instant potatoes, some tuna/chicken pouches, and Clif or other energy bar he favors.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#115163 - 04/29/09 08:30 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
You're all full of it smile

The best gift for a non backpacking SO to give is a 10 mile letter. one that promises 10 miles (5 in and 5 out), and an overnight, and that you'll go out backpacking with them. as long as they'll pick somewhere nice and not difficult.

If you truly can't do that, I think again the best advice is
really a gift card. I get lots of backpacking toys from
people with the best of intentions that aren't what I want.

Browse my pictures

#115165 - 04/29/09 09:17 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: phat]
do1625 Offline

Loc: Stamford, CT
When your boyfriend is away, take a look at every single piece of camping gear that he owns...write down names and numbers...post the results of your investigation...and within 24 hours you'll have a barrage of thoughtful suggestions.

#115177 - 04/29/09 11:09 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: phat]
Glenn Offline

Well said - especially the part about picking an easy trip!

I'd love my wife to give me that card.

She went with me, twice in one weekend: her first time, and her last time. I didn't invite her, one of her friends did; I tried to talk her out of it because I wasn't in control of the trip (destination, route, mileage, or companions.) She had a miserable time; there were too many competing egos, goals, and hidden agendas. I could never get her to consider another trip, just the two of us, to a really pretty place I knew.

I've always regretted that, and never really forgiven her friend.

#115183 - 04/29/09 11:24 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: strolling]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Tell your boy friend to check out the websites listed on the left side of this forum. Go onto their websites and pick 4-5 inexpensive items and fill out an on-line wish list. Then you can pick out what you want to give and can afford.
I do this at Christmas with my family and I always get something I want/need.

#115193 - 04/30/09 02:28 AM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: Tango61]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Lots of good suggestions here--especially the gift card and having him set up a "wish list."

I made up my own "wish list" and sent it to my grown children last year before Christmas. How many of the items did I get? Not a single one! I did get lots of good books, though.

#115194 - 04/30/09 07:00 AM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: strolling]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I do NOT want my wife buying me gear.

However, I do appreciate it when she scrapbooks a trip.

#115195 - 04/30/09 07:05 AM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: phat]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
phat is right. I is nice to show him that you respect his life style, but better to show him you want to be a part of it.

#115196 - 04/30/09 08:02 AM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: ringtail]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Great ideas have been provided. You really can't go wrong if you take any of the advice given. I would ask your bf of all the ideas presented, which would he prefer.

#115247 - 04/30/09 08:37 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Paid about as much attention now as when they were little kids, huh? grin

#115305 - 05/01/09 05:46 PM Re: Gift ideas for the nonbackpacker to give? [Re: OregonMouse]
Folkalist Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Mouse, that's too bad about the gear, not the books, though. My parents and sister DEMAND a list every Christmas. They actually get angry if I don't get it to them fast enough.

This probably won't apply to the OP, but sister lives 500 miles away from me now. Her income is about 1/4 of mine. Affording gas just to meet me for a hike somewhere can be difficult for her, so last Christmas I gave her gift cards for gas stations so she wouldn't have to turn down a trip because of money.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 292 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum