Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99502 - 07/12/08 10:44 PM Vapor Trail Fit?
JMTFox Offline

Hi, I could really use some help fitting my new Vapor Trail. I bought the medium, but i am noticing that the load lifters slope down from my shoulder to the pack at about a 45 degree angle. The hip belt also seems to ride a bit high. I tried on a large, but even then the load lifters were just horizontal, and the large has a big gap between my shoulders and the pack. This is with both packs loaded with 28lbs of bean bags. My only experience to compare this to is my Aether 70 medium, which fits a bit differently. I was told I have about a 19" torso. Is there a chance that the vapor trail just doesn't fit me? I was considering ordering a ULA Circuit instead. Also, the attachment points for the top of the shoulder straps is fairly close together on the vapor trail, which seems to make it rub on my traps a lot.

#99503 - 07/13/08 09:18 AM Re: Vapor Trail Fit? [Re: JMTFox]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
There is a possibility it won't fit. (The VT fits me perfectly; the Atmos 50 wouldn't - the bar across the top dug into my shoulders. So, yes, the same pack won't work for everyone equally well.)

However, if the hipbelt is too high, it sounds like you've got the wrong size. When I got mine, they fit me with a GG measuring device that indicated I needed a medium (I was near the break between medium and large.) I tried on the medium, and noticed the same problems you did. The large fits me great - though the load lifters are pretty much horizontal. However, that seems to work on this pack; I even emailed GG, and they indicated that they considered anything from 0 to 30 degrees or so to be a proper angle.

The only difference between the way I got mine fitted and you got yours was that I took my weekend gear, plus food, to the store and used it instead of bean bags. I've always found that bean bags simulate weight, but not distribution - and in lightweight packs, with light loads, the distribution seems more critical than the weight itself.

Before you give up, go back to the store with your gear and try the size large.

#99504 - 07/13/08 10:05 AM Re: Vapor Trail Fit? [Re: JMTFox]
CWF Offline

I am 19 inches in torso length as well, and the VT medium did not fit me. Unfortunately, the large version was way to long (fits to 23 inches, I believe). The ULA Circuit fit me much better - true to a custom fit.

However, if you are willing to carry a little extra weight and a slightly larger pack (and are sold on GG), look toward the GG Meridian packs as they are adjustable in torso length and have fully interchangeable shoulder harnesses and belts for a clost to custom fit as well.

#99505 - 07/14/08 01:34 AM Re: Vapor Trail Fit? [Re: CWF]
JMTFox Offline

Hmmm. I'm going to call on the Circuit in the morning. Would I need a med or large? I tried on the large VT again today, and it feels better at first, but the shoulder straps start right at my neck line where they are very close together, causing them to rub worse on my traps.

#99506 - 07/14/08 07:28 AM Re: Vapor Trail Fit? [Re: JMTFox]
CWF Offline

I had the pleasure of actually visiting Brian @ ULA in Logan, UT last year. I thought I would for sure need the Large torso, but after trying it on it was clear that it was too long for my 19". I went with the Medium - if I had of simply ordered it over the net I would have gotten the wrong size. Now I know that you probably can't just swing by his place (I was lucky and on holidays travelling through Utah), but you may want to send him a note. The key thing about the ULA framed packs is that they do not have an overly padded hipbelt but instead a really wide one, which permits some 'leaway' over the hips. In other words, your illiac crest could be at a different position than mine on the belt but it would not necessarily affect the ride of the pack on your torso. The belt also is removable and has about an inche of adjustment up or down (it is attached by velcro), effectively increasing or decreasing the torso length a bit. Hope this helps.

#99507 - 07/14/08 12:04 PM Re: Vapor Trail Fit? [Re: Glenn]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
So... as I understand it the Vapor Trail has NO shoulder harness (as a module) vertical adjustment?

That's a backpack design no-no these days.

Eric

Edited by 300winmag (07/14/08 12:06 PM)

#99508 - 07/14/08 03:23 PM Re: Vapor Trail Fit? [Re: 300winmag]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You assume correctly - the shoulder straps are fixed in place; the only adjustment is by lengthening or shortening them (normally, on your chest) - there is no way to move the attachment point. If you're lucky, and it fits (and I am), that's fine. Otherwise, take a look at the Nimbus Ozone or one of the other packs that do have the adjustable suspension. (It's virtually the same packbag, plus or minus a few hundred cubic inches.) Non-adjustable reduces the weight as much as possible. It may be a no-no (though Gossamer Gear might join Granite Gear to dispute that), but it works for me.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 47 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum