I readily admit that sometimes I have too much time on my hands and crzy notions pop into my head. Today's project is to help determine how much fuel is left in a canister.

Start with a small postal balance ($5-10 online), a Crunch-It tool ($5-10 online), and a paperclip ($?).

Use the paperclip to hook the CrunchIt tool to the postal scale.

With a 100 gram calibration weight (3.5 ounces), the balance reads 1 ounce.

With a 200 gram calibration weight (7 ounces), the balance reads 2 ounces, with a 300 gram calibration weight (10.5 ounces), the balance reads 3 ounces.

Next is a used IsoPro canister. When new, the canister had 113 grams (4 ounces) of fuel and a total weight of 231 grams (8 ounces). The balance reads 2 ounces, which corresponds to 200 grams (7 ounces). This weight was verified using a digital scale. Thus about 30 grams (1 ounce) of fuel has been used and 90 grams (3 ounces) of fuel remain.

The postal scale itself weights about a 30 grams (1 ounce), the CrunchIt tool weighs about 30 grams (1 ounce). Together they weigh about 60 grams (2 ounces) and provide a range of 0 grams (0 ounces) to over 300 grams (10.5 ounces). That is, 0 to 100 grams (3.5 ounces) with the scale as is, and 100 grams
(3.5 ounces) to 300 grams (10.5 ounces) with the addition of the CrunchIt tool.

Besides weighing canisters, think of the fun that could be had at the campsite!
"My tent stakes are lighter than yours, and I can prove it!"
"My wally-world grease pot is lighter than your titanium cookware!".
etc.