I have been building external frames for myself for several years.

I found one of the old Jansports frames like the one "bigfoot2" used for his MYOG External Frame Pack a couple of years ago.

I took what I thought was the best design idea on that frame - the Wing Things - and adapted them to several of my frames. The last group of pictures shows one that was finished a week or so ago and works very well for the weight I carry. This frame combines parts from several other frames to include a few from Mountain Hardwear - the Harrier Pack. This new frame has been test- hiked with 28 pounds on it.

This picture is one of my early versions of a modified Harrier Frame.

I am all about lighter gear so my total pack weight "might" be 12 to 15 pounds according to the number of days worth of food and how much water I need to carry. My food weight is about 1.5 pounds a day or less and my primary gear weigh is well below 5 pounds most of the time. This does not count during the coldest parts of winter or ANY TIME I am in or around Mt Washington, NH hiking.

The following pictures are the most recent version of my External Frames. The white things that look like pillows are made of ThermoPlastic and help push the frame away from my back. The holes in the ThermoPlastic let air in and around the space between my back and the pack bag. With this version frame they are not necessary and have been removed. The tubes that makeup the side support are mounted in a way that they push the top of the pack away from my shoulders and transfer almost all of the pack weight to the hip belt. This is adjustable.

This picture shows the bottom part of the frame without the blue foam padding. I have been able to carry the frame without any padding on the bottom part of the frame. It is a factor of pack weight. Under 10 pounds I don't need the padding but only save a couple of ounces without it so I just leave it on.

The complete frame but without the pack bag weigh about 1.5 pounds. I am working on a very light but strong pack bag made out of Cuben Fiber that will weigh 2 ounces more or less. The shoulder straps are also made out of a very strong version and light Cuben Fiber. The way I have mounted the shoulder straps no padding is necessary.

The Cuben pack straps (white looking ones) have been well tested carrying as much as 28 pounds and show no signs of wear. Remember I am a "Super Ultra Light (SUL)" weight hiker.