Was coming back from REI when I stopped in walmart. Was looking around and noticed they were getting rid of their fabric department. I have read stories of people finding silnylon for around $1 a yard or other ripstop fabric so I went back and checked. There was a bolt of ripstop-looking fabric in the scrap heap labeled 'unknown fabric',edges weren't frayed....Figured I'd take a shot, bought the whole thing and took it home.

Set it up with some draped over a cup with a little pocket, poured some water in the pocket and let it sit over night. Morning...no water leaked through! So I assume this is some kind of treated ripstop, its fairly thin..not as thin as my thermarest stuff sack though, ie doesn't feel like tissue paper. It's green/grey in color. The best part is I got it for 25cents a yard! Sadly there was only 10 yards but i figure thats enough to do some projects with it.

Just need a few pointers in working with the stuff. I want to make a tarp for days when it rains to cook under and double as a vesibule for my tent, possibly a groundcloth as well. Now as far as sewing this stuff, can I just use standard thread as if it were a normal cloth fabric? Any special stitching style? If I were to go with guidewire type setup, should i do grommets, webbing, or other?

Also whats the best cordage to keep a tarp tensioned properly, I guess I'm looking for some bungee like shock cord?

I've been using the search and checking out the portal for materials, so i'll probably find my answers there. Just wanted to share my find.