Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200026 - 01/04/18 01:35 PM Quilt sizing
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
I found a number of sites that talk about the size of a quilt, and I have a pretty good idea how long to make it based on my height, but width is still an issue. I have the materials, since there doesn't seem to be any real choice on the width of the material, before I commit scissors to material I thought I would post the question here, hitting some people who have made them.

How wide should a quilt be? I've seen some sites suggesting as wide as a sleeping bag, but that seems counter-intuitive. If I go with that width then why not just buy a good bag? Others have suggested half the width of a bag, half width + x inches, others have formulas using shoulder width that would confound Sheldon from Big Bang. One was so convoluted that, if I did it right, was 18" longer than my material!

Any good suggestions?

#200028 - 01/04/18 05:48 PM Re: Quilt sizing [Re: PaHiker]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I just measured my own quilt (a Thermarest Regulus - synthetic fill), which is 70” long. It is 44” wide at the shoulder (fully stretched open; with elastic not stretched, it’s 40”), tapering down to 24” at the foot. I’ve found it to be sufficiently wide to tuck around me (6’ tall, 180 pounds, size 36 waist, size 44 jacket), with no gaps where cold can sneak in. I’m also a side sleeper.

Hope that helps.

#200029 - 01/04/18 06:30 PM Re: Quilt sizing [Re: Glenn Roberts]
PaHiker Offline

Ah, man, that's perfect! Except for the height we're close enough to the same. Thanks! awesome

#200030 - 01/04/18 06:31 PM Re: Quilt sizing [Re: Glenn Roberts]
PaHiker Offline

One question, you just wrap around, but not underneath? Or does it go under you (on top of your pad)?

#200031 - 01/04/18 07:06 PM Re: Quilt sizing [Re: PaHiker]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
A quilt is intended to just lay over the top of you, like a blanket on your bed. It should have enough room that it reaches the ground, so cold air can’t seep in (or, if you prefer, so warm air can’t escape.) Mine does have a snap on each corner, so I can snap it around my neck as I reach the lower limit of its rating; I’ve never had to use it. Mine also has attachment points for snapping it to my sleeping pad - I’ve never put the included points on my pad. (It’s a system where there are adhesive backed snaps that you can attach to the edge of your pad; those snaps match up to snaps on the quilt. In theory, this keeps the quilt snugly attached to your pad, so you don’t end up rolling around with a leg sticking out. In practice, that’s never been an issue.)

Mine also has a “foot box” at the foot end: a piece of nylon about 8 inches long that is attached around 3 edges to the bottom of the quilt. You can either slip the pocket over the end of the pad, to hold the quilt in place, or you can stick your feet into it (same result.) I usually end up with my feet in it; if they get too warm, then I find that I don’t need to worry about whether the quilt fully covers me.

What this means is that your sleeping pad’s R-value is as important as the fill in your quilt. A thick, overinsulated quilt on top of you won’t keep you warm on a cold night if your pad is only r-1.5. My quilt is rated to 40 degrees (below 50, I usually take my sleeping bag.) My pad is an r-5 Neoair All-Season; I once was toasty using that pad with a 20-degree down bag in January (ground frozen) with an inch of snow and an overnight low of 5 below. (Of course, I was wearing long johns, down jacket, down pants, down booties and down mittens inside that sleeping bag.)

My sleeping bag doesn’t have any insulation on the bottom, either. (Thermarest Saros, also synthetic fill.) It’s built similarly to the quilt, except that it does have a hood and top and bottom draft collars, and there’s a nylon bottom (uninsulated). Under that bottom, there are a couple of stretchy bands of fabric that allow me to attach my pad, so the bag and pad become a single unit. It’s a 30-degree bag (it claims 20, but that’s the EN “survival” rating.) I’ve only recently got it, but it kept me warm on a 25-degree night a month of so; I was wearing long johns and a light fleece top inside the bag, and stayed comfy all night. A bag like that might be a good next project?

Edited by Glenn Roberts (01/06/18 12:10 AM)
Edit Reason: Add draft collar info

#200032 - 01/05/18 02:42 AM Re: Quilt sizing [Re: PaHiker]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
Enlightened Equipment has a page where they help you determine the size of a quilt by your height/girth, and depending on what kind of sleeper you are (stomach, side, back, active). You might find it useful.

https://support.enlightenedequipment.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002191668-Enigma

#200036 - 01/09/18 01:02 PM Re: Quilt sizing [Re: JustWalking]
PaHiker Offline

Thanks, that's a great help, esp. if I make them for others.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum