Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159133 - 12/22/11 05:00 PM Burner pops out of my alc stove, maybe jet layout?
Jackamo Offline

Loc: Central Oregon
Maybe "burner pops out" doesnt accurately describe whats going on, but its not quite an explosion. I tried a new burner and wind screen setup for my penny stove the other day, and about 66% of the time when i try to light the priming fuel covering the penny, the stove will come apart and send the penny and burner a few feet into the air, and spray burning alcohol all over myself and everything else. Although my experience with alcohol stoves is a little limited (im halfway thru my second ever bottle of heet) i havent had this issue until my recent modifications, and i was hoping you folks can help me pinpoint the culprit.

im trying to use a tin can as my windscreen, since its the perfect size for my fosters pot and tin coffee cup to nestle down in there

my lighting procedure is as follows: ill pour about an ounce of fuel in the stove, then put the penny over the filler holes and add enough fuel to cover the penny. sometimes ill put a few drops of fuel in the priming dish beneath the stove before putting the whole setup in the tin can. if i light the priming dish, the flames will reach the stove and light the fuel covering the penny, the stove heats up, jets light, etc and everything works how its supposed to.

if i bypass the priming dish, and try to let the fuel covering the penny prime the stove, thats when the combustion happens. at first, i thought there was vapor building up in my windscreen, but if the stove is coming apart, i would imagine the combustion must be happening inside the stove.

what i tried to do with the burner on this stove is have three jets on the outside, and three jets on the inside to serve as a center burner.

aside from needing another three jets on the outside, when the stove lights it works really well. i read on the zen stoves site that, if the filler holes arent covered or plugged, lighting the stove can cause an internal combustion issue, and im pretty sure at this point that my inner jets are causing the same situation. which is a bummer, because it seems like more even heat distribution, and i had planned on making a simmer ring to cover the outer jets and leave the inner jets lit.

worst of all, i cant make another until i get a new charger for my drill. torture!

#159143 - 12/22/11 06:34 PM Re: Burner pops out of my alc stove, maybe jet layout? [Re: Jackamo]
PappyBanjo Offline

Loc: Maryland
The penny stove that I made won't bring water to a full boil. So I'm certainly not an expert.

What I noticed about your stove was the placement of your jet holes and the number. The internet instructions that I found suggested 8-12 holes on the outside ring and none inside (just the 3 fill holes in the center).

I do want to try your configuration because I want to see it pop.

One other thing. You don't have to use a drill. The aluminum is thin enough to puncture with a nail or awl.

#159199 - 12/23/11 05:55 PM Re: Burner pops out of my alc stove, maybe jet layout? [Re: PappyBanjo]
Jackamo Offline

Loc: Central Oregon
True, i just like the clean holes the drill leaves, and i worry less about distorting the can versus trying to puncture it with something. luckily i was able to find a different charger that will work, and made another stove yesterday, 8 holes on the outside and none on the inside, and havent had any fireworks yet :)ill do some research and try the center burner again later.

thanks pappy!

#159556 - 01/03/12 03:58 PM Re: Burner pops out of my alc stove, maybe jet layout? [Re: Jackamo]
Monkey's Fist Offline

Yep...your problem is the burner holes on the inside of the top. Just like Zen Stoves advised...if the penny is left off of the fill holes flames from the fuel priming on top will set off combustion inside the stove. Try another stove with just burner holes on the outside...and plenty more...12 to 16 total. That should solve your ka-boom issue!

#161080 - 01/24/12 10:35 PM Re: Burner pops out of my alc stove, maybe jet lay [Re: Jackamo]
Jayson Offline

If you go to www.jureystudio.com, which is the original maker of the penny stove he uses 6 holes on the outside.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum