Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147930 - 03/17/11 04:04 PM Stuff Sacks!
bmadau Offline

So- I caught the sewing bug...

Several years ago while I was at a Walmart with my wife, who was looking for fabric for a quilt, I was looking around the 2nds table. I found two bolts of ripstop nylon- one 30d in gray, and another 70d in black. The prince on the gray one was marked $1.99. I thought $1.99- but now, the whole bolt for 1.99. turns out to be about 10 yards of 48" wide material...crazy good deal!

So, I was cleaning up the garage and found it, dusted it off, and thought I should finally make something with it... My end goal is to make an 11' x 11' pyramid shelter, with a sewn in bathtub floor- but to get some sewing practice, I've been making some stuff sacks from a tutorial I found online.

I've made some improvements along the way as well. The first went directly by the plans online, but the edges are exposed on the inside and they started to fray immediately, and that didn't make me very happy. So, for Stuff Sack Part 2, I double hemmed the top seam where the draw string wend through, which was a help, but still, the rest of the inside seams still frayed. So, on my last one, I got all fancy used french seams on the rest of it, no more exposed edges!

For those who might not know- After sewing the draw string pocket tunnel thingy- I folded it in half, RIGHT SIDE OUT, and straight stitched it leaving a 1/4" seam allowance. I then turned it inside out, and sewed it again, slightly over 1/4" in, hiding the edges. Then I turned it right side out again, did the trick for the corners (to give it a square-ish bottom), and turned it inside out again to finish the french seam/hem (whatever).

My stitching is getting straighter and my seam allowances are getting more consistent. I'm finding fabric management is the hardest part of the job. And these little sacks that only use like 2' square-ish pieces of fabric are nothing compared to the comparable acres of fabric for a large 4 man shelter... I'll do a couple more stuff sacks for the practice, then I'll use the remainder of the fabric for a rectangular 8' x 10' tarp. If it turns out ok, I'll silicone coat it per the many diy instructions online. I'm really nervous about the 10' long flat felled seam. I tried one on a scrap of fabric and it turned out miserably.

BM

#147932 - 03/17/11 04:31 PM Re: Stuff Sacks! [Re: bmadau]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
The Key to making a great flat felled seem is to take your timepinning it nice and straight. Sewing is the easy part pinning stinks.I have such big fingers it is cumbersome. I therefore,staple seams with a stapler. Make sure staples are turned out not in. They will pull out like a straight pin then.

#147938 - 03/17/11 05:34 PM Re: Stuff Sacks! [Re: Kent W]
bmadau Offline

Originally Posted By Kent W
The Key to making a great flat felled seem is to take your timepinning it nice and straight. Sewing is the easy part pinning stinks.I have such big fingers it is cumbersome. I therefore,staple seams with a stapler. Make sure staples are turned out not in. They will pull out like a straight pin then.

The staples don't tear large holes in the fabric? I was looking at some online fabric store (Seattle Fabrics maybe?) and they sold 1/4" wide double sided sticky tape for holding seams in place. I'll have to play around some more on some scraps.

Thanks,
BM

#148046 - 03/20/11 10:12 AM Re: Stuff Sacks! [Re: bmadau]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
No they dont make big holes. Try it next time. Seam tape my work on uncoated fabric. I doubt it will work on coated silnylon or ripstop? I treated seam of my cat tarp with silicone and whit gas mixture. It doesnt leak!

#148054 - 03/20/11 11:23 AM Re: Stuff Sacks! [Re: Kent W]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Very little sticks to silnylon, other than another siliconized item. That is why sealers that work on silnylon are thinned silicone adhesive of some sort.

I used Kent's staple trick when I was making costumes for community theater. I had people put on clothes to be altered and custom-fit them with staples instead of pins. They stayed in better until I got the clothes home to stitch thme properly and it was a quick solution. I pulled the staples out as I sewed. I haven't tried it with silnylon, but it should be fine to staple INSIDE the seam allowance.

CM

#148352 - 03/25/11 04:29 PM Re: Stuff Sacks! [Re: CamperMom]
bmadau Offline

Well, I did the 10' long flat felled seam, and it turned out relatively well- if only I could stitch a straighter line... But there are no bunched spots, and the seam is the right width. I didn't have that kind of stapler available, so I just carefully pinned it and pulled them out as I went. Luckily, I only got poked a few times...

Now, I'll hem the edges and siliconize it before I sew on the tie downs...

thanks for the tips!

BM

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum