Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#144644 - 01/10/11 08:10 AM Quilt Making Question
BethON Offline

Loc: Near North Ontario
Hi, I've found such marvelous suggestions on this board about quilt making that I'm ready to tackle them myself, but I've a couple of questions first.

Can or should a waterproof fabric be used on the outside of the quilts?

The reason I ask is that I have a large double coated dog that will be sharing my tent. If he gets wet all the shammies in the world aren't going to dry that dog off. I have to weigh off the possibility of my quilt getting wet from contact with him as opposed to letting the fill breathe.

The other question is: should I think about using one of the synthetic fills as opposed to down, simply because it would be much more practical with the dog (machine washable etc).

Edited by BethON (01/10/11 08:10 AM)

#144652 - 01/10/11 11:35 AM Re: Quilt Making Question [Re: BethON]
lori Offline

Unless you are taking the quilt out in harsh, unforgiving arctic conditions, a waterproof shell is overkill and unnecessary. Regular three season backpacking in most of the continental US, a breathable shell is fine. Many quilts use a Durable Water Resistant shell which is more breathable (making it easier to avoid buildup of moisture in the insulation). Unless your dog brings a bathtub full of water in with him, you're probably not going to wet out the quilt. I learned after one wash of my down quilt that it is going to take a lot more water to wet out down than you think - it took me a while to get all my down wet in a half full bathtub.

If the shell gets dirty, wipe it off with a damp towel. If the quilt starts to lose loft, here is how to wash your down quilt without damaging it.

Synthetics don't last as long as properly-cared-for down, but if you are washing it often, and don't care that you will be buying new synthetic quilts every so often, that might be easier.

Also be aware that sharp items pierce nylon, no matter what the fill, and quilts often have lighter weight nylon than manufactured sleeping bags, so won't be as resistant to dog's nails.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#144654 - 01/10/11 12:48 PM Re: Quilt Making Question [Re: lori]
BethON Offline

Thanks Lori

Your answer brings up more questions grin

You speak of 'waterproof' and 'Durable Water Resistant' as if they are two different fabrics? 'splain please!!

And yes, a wet Collie that's been hiking in the rain or paddling in the shallows (he doesn't swim) WILL bring in buckets of water and if he's been lying around the campsite wet, also a couple of pounds of mud. cry

Since sewing and designing is not a problem, I'm leaning towards a pair of fiberfil quilts that can be thrown in a commercial washer and dryer whenever necessary.

For Dog nail resistance and easy of cleaning combined with two and half season weather, what would be a suitable combination.

#144657 - 01/10/11 01:39 PM Re: Quilt Making Question [Re: BethON]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By BethON
Thanks Lori

Your answer brings up more questions grin

You speak of 'waterproof' and 'Durable Water Resistant' as if they are two different fabrics? 'splain please!!

And yes, a wet Collie that's been hiking in the rain or paddling in the shallows (he doesn't swim) WILL bring in buckets of water and if he's been lying around the campsite wet, also a couple of pounds of mud. cry

Since sewing and designing is not a problem, I'm leaning towards a pair of fiberfil quilts that can be thrown in a commercial washer and dryer whenever necessary.

For Dog nail resistance and easy of cleaning combined with two and half season weather, what would be a suitable combination.

Again, I doubt the dog would wet it as much as you think... it is really really hard to soak a down quilt. I would be more concerned about the dirt/mud, myself. You could easily order some Goretex and make a removable additional shell for the quilt. I have one that I made to add to the kit while tarping on the ground in rainy, humid or windy conditions. That would also help as protection against dog nails, since the two ply, lighter weight Goretex from OWF (outdoor wilderness fabrics) is still pretty tough stuff. This would allow you to remove the Goretex and air out the quilt, maintaining the loft of the down without sacrificing the protection.

A cheaper way to do it - get a DriDucks poncho, about 12-15 bucks, and you have a double use item - a rain poncho AND a cover for the quilt that is more breathable than anything else you'll find. The only downfall is that DriDucks are fragile, but this will allow you to keep the water off the quilt, keep the dog claws at bay, keep dirt off the quilt... and be lighter than Goretex, tho less permanent a solution.

DWR means that regular nylon has been lightly treated with something to make it water resistant, not waterproof. A waterproof fabric will be given a more thorough treatment - many, like Goretex, are much heavier as a result. Polyurethane coatings are nonbreathable and probably the most waterproof of all - also heaviest. Fabrics like Epic, Event and Goretex will be somewhat breathable and waterproof (or water resistant - I don't think Event is really all that waterproof, but it's more so than DWR).

Technically, all fabrics are only waterproof to a certain point - for general camping purposes, some are waterproof enough.

Have you tried searching for more info? The search function sort of works. Another place for info might be Backpackinglight.com - they have articles on various fabrics in outdoor applications. Unfortunately you have to pay to get them, but they are a good source for technical info on a lot of backpacking gear. It might be worth a year subscription to sign up, if you are researching geeky details about gear.

#144662 - 01/10/11 05:14 PM Re: Quilt Making Question [Re: lori]
Spock Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I second everything Lori says, including the Driducks poncho (she beat me to that one). About down's water resistance: just remember, it comes from geese who live on the water, much of the year in the arctic. Down resists water, you bet. Washing removes the natural water repellant oils. Just wipe off the outside of the quilt. I use rubbing alcohol or plain water - no detergent whatsoever.

DWR treatment makes fabric easier to wipe clean.

Edited by Spock (01/10/11 05:14 PM)

#144666 - 01/10/11 07:55 PM Re: Quilt Making Question [Re: lori]
BethON Offline

Thanks to both of you!!

And yes, I've been following link after link after link doing the 'research'!

Good thing it's the dead of winter here and I'm a wuss or I'd have jumped in with both feet and little planning. Hibernation mode has allowed me the opportunity to read for hours. smile

I'll be making a seriously water repellant overlay for the top quilt!

I'd rather carry a little extra weight and know that I have dry sleeping gear than have to sleep in the 'wet spot'!

#145728 - 02/02/11 09:03 AM Re: Quilt Making Question [Re: BethON]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
Just a suggestion. It may have been mentione previously on another forum, but it is worth searching the discount bin at walmart. Every now and then they drop the price of their Ripstop nylon, DWR nylon )water resistant) and Silnylon (waterproof) fabric. If you're not in a rush, it might be worth a hunt.

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#145736 - 02/02/11 12:01 PM Re: Quilt Making Question [Re: Paulo]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Paulo
Just a suggestion. It may have been mentione previously on another forum, but it is worth searching the discount bin at walmart. Every now and then they drop the price of their Ripstop nylon, DWR nylon )water resistant) and Silnylon (waterproof) fabric. If you're not in a rush, it might be worth a hunt.

A good suggestion, but in other forums with a high percentage of DIYers it's been noted that many Walmarts are discontinuing the bargain bin as well as the fabrics section. Great if the local one still has it, but not a guarantee.

#145763 - 02/02/11 05:36 PM Re: Quilt Making Question [Re: lori]
BethON Offline

Unfortunately, all of the Canadian Wal-Marts that I've been into lately have NO fabric department at all.

Maybe 5 years ago the US W/M's started making a move to pre-cut yard fabrics only. A very strong protest from their customer base convinced them to rethink their position.

Having lived in the US for 15 years before moving back to Canada I was appalled at Canadian prices (2 to 3 times the US price).

The only fabric store of note within 100 miles of me is Fabricland and I'd guess that 90% of their fabric comes in with the tag 'contents unknown'

I basically have to depend on shopping trips to the US and/or online ordering....sigh.

#145815 - 02/03/11 05:16 PM Re: Quilt Making Question [Re: BethON]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
It really depends on the Walmart. Walmart (like any store) caters to the locals. If the local population supports the fabric section, it stays, if not, it goes. My local Walmart has one. Anyways, buying ripstop nylon is a real hit and miss. Sometimes they have it, mostly they don't. I have been fortunate to find it a couple times. I bought all they had when I found it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum