Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#132922 - 04/29/10 11:26 AM Putting stays in G-4 pack
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I just finished making a G-4 pack. After trying it out with my gear, I think it might work better for me with stays and have decided to try installing a set. Has anyone done this? If so, can someone provide me with a reference or describe how it is done? Thanks.

#132929 - 04/29/10 12:48 PM Re: Putting stays in G-4 pack [Re: Pika]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I've used a GPV4 for a few years now. My ridgerest foam pad rolls up to line the inside, which provides rigidity for the pack. The pack is designed for a z-rest pad which becomes the "stays" in those outside back pockets at the top and bottom, between the straps. I've never needed actually stays when loading within it's design limit.
If you have to have them, it shouldn't be too hard to sew in pockets. Might try some sail batten material from West Marine...stiff, thin, and light.

#132930 - 04/29/10 12:54 PM Re: Putting stays in G-4 pack [Re: Pika]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Pika
I just finished making a G-4 pack. After trying it out with my gear, I think it might work better for me with stays and have decided to try installing a set. Has anyone done this? If so, can someone provide me with a reference or describe how it is done? Thanks.

Why don't you shoot the guys at GG an email, I am sure they would be more than happy to help since they post their designs online for all to make their own.

I am with Dryer though, my Z-lite or short Thermareast provides all the frame that I need for the weight that I carry.

#132933 - 04/29/10 02:25 PM Re: Putting stays in G-4 pack [Re: Pika]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I may be way out in left field on this, so take it for what it's worth. I did own a G4 briefly; it was just way too big for the load I was carrying. I do still use a Granite Gear Virga frameless pack, and developed a trick for making it act like it has stays - maybe it would work with the G4, too.

Have you ever wanted a camp chair? I started using one several years ago; I find I sleep better if I can rest my back while sitting around. But, I found it hard to justify the half pound or more they weighed.

Then came my Virga - and the chair kit became a necessary part of the pack: I would leave my pad (a Prolite 4 short, though I suppose any pad that fit its chair would work) in the chair, deflated, and fold the chair in half across the middle. This put two stays side-by-side on each side. I then rolled the sides of the chair in toward the center, until the pad was the width of my back panel. I then slid this down the back of the Virga, locking it in place with the sleeping bag, and packed in the rest of my gear. Then I opened the valve to slightly inflate the pad to give it a little stiffness and thickness, for comfort. I found the resulting pack rode just about like an internal frame, and the chair stays became the pack stays.

It seems like this might work even better with the G4, since they'd have the pocket to hold them in place. Just make sure you put the rolled chair/pad in with the stays on the side toward the pack.

I'm even happier using that system now: my Thermarest Compack chair kit and NeoAir 66" chair kit together weigh only 18 ounces, saving me 3/4 pound over the old Trekker/Prolite combination.

I'm assuming the same idea might even work without a chair kit, using a closed cell pad and your tent pole (assuming you use something like the TT Rainbow), with the tent pole inside the pad, in the center. (If you had two poles, you could run them up either side.

Not sure if this is really what you're looking for, but just thought I'd toss it in for whatever it's worth.

Edited by Glenn (04/30/10 08:42 AM)

#132974 - 04/30/10 12:20 AM Re: Putting stays in G-4 pack [Re: Pika]
Roocketman Offline

Originally Posted By Pika

I was starting to sew a G-4 pack, and got hooked on the idea of stays to stiffen it up, since I had only experience with external framed packs at the time.

I called Gossamer Gear and talked to them. They described the modification as easy to do.

If you use aluminum tubes (arrow shafts) you need to make a sleeve in which to contain them and to have the containing sleeve sewn to the back of the pack. You make the sleeve with nylon webbing and pick the width that will work with your reinforcement.

Suppose that the pack needs a stay of 20 inches, then you will need something like 45 or so inches of webbing. Start at the top of the stay and lay the stay on the webbing at the end of the webbing. Fold up the webbing over the other side of the stay and imagine sewing up the sides of the webbing giving a relatively snug fit to the stay. Then, with velcro, take the remaining portion and imagine that you construct a foldover top to keep the stay nicely inside this webbing structure. Then, imagine sewing this reinforcement structure to one side of the back of the pack, preferably on the inside. And imagine repeating this for the other side of the back of the pack.

Now, you can imagine the structure you would like to build.

Figuring out how to build it is relatively easy if you haven't yet built the pack, because you don't have to undo any seams to get the pack parts onto the sewing machine. It is harder to figure out how to do this if the pack is all sewn up, but maybe you can turn it inside out and with a free arm machine, you might be able to get all of the sewing done.

Otherwise, you will have to pop open some seams to do it on a sewing machine, or you could hand sew it together.

By the way, I never did this as I never finished the project... Bought a pack instead.

Here is a related link to look at.

http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/diy/ultralight-external-frame-pack.html

Go to nearly the bottom of the page to see putting a frame into a Golite pack.

Edited by Roocketman (04/30/10 12:21 AM)

#132988 - 04/30/10 09:00 AM Re: Putting stays in G-4 pack [Re: Pika]
Pika Offline

Thanks everyone for all the info and the ideas. I think that for the immediate future I will try working with the pads rather than trying to install stays. I spent some time packing and unpacking the thing yesterday and can see better ways to pack it.

The G-4 turned out to be bigger than I expected and so for trips without my bear can I will likely continue to use my Jam2. I made the G-4 with the idea in mind of a repeat of the JMT on my soon-to-be 75th birthday; I wanted a light, roomy pack that would carry well and that would hold a bear can. The Jam2 will work but it would be more of a squeeze.

#133034 - 04/30/10 09:27 PM Re: Putting stays in G-4 pack [Re: Pika]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Happy Birthday a bit early. Just remember: you're not 75, you're just taking a third shot at being 25 - and they say the third time's a charm!

#133035 - 04/30/10 10:03 PM Re: Putting stays in G-4 pack [Re: Glenn]
Pika Offline

Glenn, thanks for the encouraging words. Sadly though, while I often forget my age, my body seldom does. I'm just glad to still be moving.

#133064 - 05/01/10 05:38 AM Re: Putting stays in G-4 pack [Re: Pika]
frediver Offline

I just carry my tent poles in the folds of my z-rest, the length matches the width of my pad.
If you wanted to make some then stop by TAP plastics for carbon tubing or an archery shop for arrow material and cut it to whatever size you need then put some plastic caps on the ends, done. IMO you don't need no stinkin pockets !

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum