Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

BCG Holiday Sale

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
BackcountryGear.com
backcountry gear

---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Stay Healthy--Eat Well

MARY JANES FARM ORGANIC MEALS

Mary Janes Farm Organic Backcountry Meals

NATURAL HIGH GOURMET MEALS

Natural High

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Make Your Own Gear!
Jump to new posts Ripstop - NOT! by Bill Kennedy @ Yesterday at 09:46 PM

I just received some fabric I ordered for a couple of projects, and am pretty disappointed, and wondering if anyone else has run into this. First, I ordered some 400x300 nylon/polyester "diamond ripstop" and discovered that it's ripstop i
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by Bill Kennedy @ Yesterday at 09:24 PM

What I've always liked about this board (I first registered in '03 as "billk") is that everyone, regardless of age, is civil and seems genuinely interested in backpacking and helping others who are also interested. We don't all agree on eve
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by JustWalking @ Yesterday at 05:19 PM

"It is not a matter of "vibe". It is a matter of relevance and survival." I partially disagree. There are certain things people like about this site and its forums, that's why they're here and not elsewhere. It's true that witho
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by wandering_daisy @ Yesterday at 03:13 PM

It is not a matter of "vibe". It is a matter of relevance and survival. But I do not run the show, so guess it does not matter. Just my observation that other forums are a lot more active, both in posts and actual trips taken and reported
Backcountry Health & Safety
Jump to new posts Re: Map, compass, and watch: not quite obsolete yet by Lonerock @ Yesterday at 11:38 AM

Sounds like you made some good decisions in finding your way out of a bad situation. I think it's difficult not to feel some degree of panic when you're suddenly disoriented. I've found that secret is not to make rash decisions and stay put until you
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by JustWalking @ Yesterday at 01:53 AM

"I regret to say this, but I think our forum does not attract the "young and strong" and we are over-represented by the "old and wise". I think we need to figure out how to attract these younger folks, or we will wither away.
I've heard the term "dead reckoning" forever but never knew what it meant: I guess it's a 4-state Kalman Filter. The time aspect of distance estimation was the one I never appreciated much until the event that caused me to begin this threa
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by aimless @ 04/23/18 07:31 PM

Oh well, I was already planning on withering away eventually anyway.
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by wandering_daisy @ 04/23/18 06:33 PM

The young and strong I see on the trails DO carry tiny packs. If you were to buy new gear today, most of it would be lighter than what you could buy 10 years ago. And the young I see do not seem to worry about money- some pretty high-tech stuff they
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by aimless @ 04/23/18 02:37 PM

Maybe all the young and strong backpackers who can carry 55 lbs without whimpering through the final 3 miles to camp are not flocking to a lightweight backpacking site to discuss how to save another 6 oz.
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by Bill Kennedy @ 04/23/18 02:07 PM

Young and strong? Well, I'm only 70 and could probably fight my way out of a wet paper bag if necessary:)
Jump to new posts Re: Muscle cramps by Bill Kennedy @ 04/23/18 02:04 PM

If it's a persistent problem, a visit to the doctor is probsbly advisable. Thermotabs (often called "salt tablets") contain potassium as well as sodium and other electrolytes. Sold at Walmart and Walgreens, but not in all areas of the cou
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by Jim M @ 04/23/18 12:47 PM

22 pounds ain't bad. I'm an old guy and in the olden days we carried 50 pound packs while climbing, and I even remember 55 Lbs. when I was backpacking with the family. They used to say 1/5 th (20%) body weight was comfortable goal. 22 Lbs. would
Jump to new posts Re: Muscle cramps by 4evrplan @ 04/23/18 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By BZHyup I agree with Pika. Its easy to replace the electrolyte sodium, but potassium is bit harder Banana chips? ETA: https://draxe.com/top-10-potassium-rich-foods/
Jump to new posts Re: Muscle cramps by BZH @ 04/23/18 11:28 AM

yup I agree with Pika. Its easy to replace the electrolyte sodium, but potassium is bit harder
Jump to new posts Re: Muscle cramps by Pika @ 04/23/18 10:58 AM

Low potassium can cause cramping of the large muscles. Might be worth looking at.
Make Your Own Gear!
Jump to new posts Re: Tyvek or polycryo DIY tarps- worth it? by Axel999 @ 04/23/18 08:42 AM

I purchased the Tyvek tarp at E-Bay https://bestoutdooritems.com/backpacking-tarps/. It ran me like $24 delivered for the 9' x 10' Tyvek sheet, and included 10 corner loops. Our search and rescue team tried tyvek tarps. We ran them through a washer w
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Trying To (you guessed it) Reduce Weight by Bill Kennedy @ 04/23/18 04:13 AM

I can get it down to around 20lbs. without much trouble. I don't necessarily take everything on that list, like the daypack, sandals, and 3rd pair of socks. Also, the list was generated from an old spreadsheet and some of the weights aren't correct f
Lite Gear Talk
Jump to new posts Re: Katadyn BeFree vs Sawyer Mini by Bill Kennedy @ 04/23/18 03:33 AM

Pretty clever. I wonder if the cotton will reduce the flow too much once it's wet and the fibers cling together. If it does, you could try adapting the fine mesh screen that's found in the aerator of a sink fixture. It might even be the right size.
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
CNOC Vecto 2L Water Bag
by Bill Kennedy
04/17/18 12:00 AM
Sawyer and Platypus Threads Not the Same
by Bill Kennedy
04/11/18 09:19 PM
Need a new cookset!
by steve-in-kville
03/30/18 04:32 PM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Salomon vs. Danner...what am i giving up?
by willie1280
04/06/18 08:44 AM
Does anyone carry a side arm in wolf country?
by toddfw2003
03/27/18 09:21 PM
backpacking tent blew away or got stolen
by toddfw2003
03/26/18 06:36 PM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Ripstop - NOT!
by Bill Kennedy
09:46 PM
Need Suggestions for Pack
by Bill Kennedy
04/15/18 01:44 AM
Tyvek or polycryo DIY tarps- worth it?
by clueless
06/26/16 03:13 PM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Axel999, hungodd94, trailmix, Rosscoe T, TrailElder
12557 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
HOME
Backpacking.net
Family Hiking
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Outdoor Gear Daily Deals
Outlets, Sales, Bargains

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com