Frustrated by ghost campers?

Posted by: balzaccom

Frustrated by ghost campers? - 06/05/23 12:14 PM

California may try to help...Check this out: ktla.com/news/california/california-campsite-reservation-bill-passes-state-assembly/

Credit if you cancel before seven days. And if you don't show on the first night, the whole reservation is cancelled and the site opened up.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Frustrated by ghost campers? - 06/07/23 04:58 PM

Good news! Hopefully this helps.

I remember once trying to book a site for the eclipse. I knew site opened up for booking 60 days in advance. I went to check the night before I realized that you can book up to a week at a time, so the whole campground was already booked by people who choose an earlier starting date. I don't think they had any intention of showing up on the first day.

I wonder what they will consider showing up the first night. I remember once sitting in a campground in Sequoia on a Friday evening. Around 9:30 PM a rush of cars came into the campground. We asked a ranger about it and he said its the people from San Francisco who left as soon as they got off work. He then said we'll have another rush in two hours a the people from LA. Sure enough! Two hours later we were woken up by the rush of cars coming into the campground.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Frustrated by ghost campers? - 10/12/23 09:56 AM

It is now law! https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks/...ow-18418167.php

Best news is that if you fail to use a campsite and fail to notify them about it, you won't be allowed to make future reservations until you resolve the issue. This should help!
Posted by: DanyBacky

Re: Frustrated by ghost campers? - 12/26/23 09:17 PM

I’m happy to hear this news. This will definitely help in making camping more accessible and enjoyable for more people.