Boston input needed

Posted by: Darwin

Boston input needed - 03/09/11 01:55 PM

I'm considering moving to Boston, MA. How is the kayaking (lakes and class 1-class 4 rivers), hiking and backpacking (mountains) in the immediate and nearby area of Boston?

Darwin
daroos@indiana.edu
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Boston input needed - 03/14/11 03:35 PM

Hi, Darwin-

I have yet to kayak, so, I'm not able to say much on that subject as to specifics. The Northeast in general is riddled with rivers and streams. The Muddy and Charles Rivers flow through Boston. People routinely paddle at least secitons of the Concord, Sudbury, and Assabet Rivers. I'm within a 40-mile radius of Boston and can come up with many places to canoe which I can reach in 30 minutes or less. The Industrial Revolution started here, in mill towns along large rivers, like the Nashua, Connecticuit, and Housatonic. Smaller mills sprung up along the Assabet and others. Those waters still flow.

We also have many hiking trails, most suitable for day hikes close to Boston. The Berkshire AT is probably a 4 hour drive, give or take, from Boston. It is one of 4 trails of 90 miles or more in the state. (MidState, M&M, AT, and Taconic.) You will find plenty to do here.

CamperMom