Suggestions Please 70mile, loop, KY,TN,NC

Posted by: tkb

Suggestions Please 70mile, loop, KY,TN,NC - 03/21/17 05:34 AM

I am looking for a 70ish mile backpacking trip. I'd prefer a loop, but would do a point to point with a safe, reliable shuttle. I want serious solitude, plentiful water, and beautiful scenery.
We have done Big South Fork, Foothills, Linville Gorge, Shenandoah, Mt Rogers, Cranberry Wilderness, and Quehanna. We fell in love with the scenery around Big South Fork, and want to see more like that but the Red River Gorge is entirely to overpopulated for us.
We are open to any and all ideas.
Sheltowee Trace?
Pisgah National Forest?
Part of the Mountains to Sea Trail?
Dolly Sods.....I don't think we can get anywhere near our milage.
Somewhere in the Smokies, away from people?
Many Thanks. Ideas are very much appriciated.
Posted by: wgiles

Re: Suggestions Please 70mile, loop, KY,TN,NC - 03/21/17 07:27 PM

It's not easy to get away from people in the east. When I lived in West Virginia, there were a hundred thousand people in a 25 mile radius of my home, but no big cities. The real mountains in West Virginia are a different, pleasant, experience. From WHite Sulphur Springs toward Spruce Knob and Seneca Rocks is a nice drive, but I don't know what trails there might be. I've thought about walking or floating the C & O Canal, but this would probably not be very secluded.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Suggestions Please 70mile, loop, KY,TN,NC - 03/21/17 10:29 PM

Oops, should have read the entire thread title. STS is in PA. My apologies.
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Suggestions Please 70mile, loop, KY,TN,NC - 03/22/17 12:14 AM

Sheltowee Trace. That would be a point to point. I love the Red river Gorge. It inst too bad during the weekdays