Very First Two Nighter

Posted by: Larrold

Very First Two Nighter - 01/10/09 09:41 PM

All,

I've camped quite a bit in my life, but am looking forward to getting into backpacking. The first trip I'm starting to plan will be for two nights, in Va, in the March time frame, I'll be traveling with a friend, and I already have a tent and some basics.

Using what I've told you above please give me advice about what we must pack (as basic as clothing). Also, I would appreciate advice on what beginners typically take that they don't need.

Thanks!
Posted by: Wolfeye

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/11/09 09:29 AM

www.backpacking.net (under "gear checklists") and REI's website both have pretty inclusive gear lists, with the latter's being aimed more at "normal" weight camping. I recommend reading a few lists then typing up your own so you don't have to scratch your head and remember what to pack before every trip. (I'd rattle off my own list, but I'm not at my own computer at the moment.)

Some items beginners often make the mistake of carrying are a complete change of clothes for every day and way too much of many consumables like toothpaste. For a 2 nighter you can get by with a change of socks for earch day, then leave a change of clothes back at the car.
Posted by: phat

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/11/09 10:33 AM

Start with the 18 pound 3 day pack at www.backpacking.net - you may not have gear that is that light, or you may not want to use a bivy bag, but you should still be able to keep your pack pretty reasonable starting from something like that. My list is linked from my
signature.
Posted by: Mosey

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/11/09 09:16 PM

If you want to cut the space you can carry the same change of clothes (assuming they aren't rained on or smell like poo).

Sock however are a change every day, if not more often.

The one thing I forgot my first two night... matches. Luckily I hid a lighter in my bag and remembered it the second day, just went hungry the first night.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/12/09 12:52 AM

What Phat said....

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/12/09 08:08 AM

Awesome, Guys! I really do appreciate it. Will bears be an issue in early March? Do I need a bear can and spray?

Amateur questions, I know.

Posted by: phat

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/12/09 10:45 AM

That depends upon where you are going. Where I am in march
bears are a non issue, but typically in march where I am everything is frozen solid.

Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/12/09 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By Larrold
Awesome, Guys! I really do appreciate it. Will bears be an issue in early March? Do I need a bear can and spray?

Amateur questions, I know.

Check the bears issue with the local Forest Ranger's office for wherever you'll be hiking a week or two before you go. They'll tell you if bears have been a problem and where.

I doubt that bears are anymore a problem where you'll be at out east than here in the Ozarks. Generally speaking, if you make noise while you're hiking a bear will hear you before you see them and they'll take off. You'll likely never even see one.

It's pretty easy to set up something that "Clanks" as you walk either inside or outside your pack. A little "Catfishing Bell" from a baitshop will work good too.

Members here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you'll need a bear canister there either. You might want to bring enough rope to hoist your food up into a tree overnight if you're in an area where bears will be foraging.

And Welcome to the forum! Let us know how your trip goes...

Bill
Posted by: leadfoot

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/12/09 02:55 PM

Bears out here in the Shenandoahs are pretty afraid of humans for the most part. Make a loud noise in the bushes and watch them run over themselves to run away! It's the mice in the shelters that you need to be aware of. Crawl all over your face, they will. (insert Yoda voice.) shocked

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/12/09 05:55 PM

Thanks for the bear info!

After some consideration I think this first trip will end up being more of a camping trip. You know, a decent hike and then set up and stay for two nights just to get away and get a good feel of things. Both of us have medical issues that could surprise us with problems and I don't want to be too far out.

With this plan in mind, are we okay to break from the beaten path a decent bit to set up a camp? Of course we would leave the area as if we weren't there.

We're both getting excited and I look forward to more of everyone's advice!

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/12/09 06:48 PM

Leadfoot,

It's nice to find someone who has hiked the Va area. Do you have any recommendations on where to go? Like I mentioned before we're looking for a place for a decent hike and then to camp there for two nights. Preferably not a place that is always busy with a lot of hikers.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/13/09 05:53 AM

When I go for short overnighters, I like to pick a loop hike in the Shenandoah National Park. There's quite a few places that you can camp off the trail from the loop. They all feed off of the AT. You need to get a free permit at the ranger's station and if you have a loop in mind, ask them if they know of any spots. You can find the small pocket-sized book at any local outfitter store. I generally park further from the recommended start point, hike the AT and then pick up the loop. You can by section maps of the park as well
to plot your course of action.

Another choice is Cold Mountian/Mt Pleasants down in Buena Vista. My favorite way is to hike on the Hotel trail counterclockwise for around 4-5 miles,(across the balds) camp in this wonderful site...meaning it is flat, soft, and good views. Pack up the next day, or leave that site, and keep hiking about a mile which will bring you back to your car. Then I dump my gear, grab a day pack and hike up Mt Pleasants.(right by the car. No need to drive) That is a 6 miler up and back. There's great spots there to camp as well. The top of Mt Pleasant has wonderful views. I just did that over the holidays. Total miles for both days around 13. I can post some photos if I can figure how. smile

Also, just follow the AT for your chosen distance.

The SNP is going to be celebrating their 100th anniversary (or some such number, not sure what )so keep in mind it will be a busy spring and summer with lots of people.

Ramsey's Draft is another good choice. It's a Wilderness, so the trails aren't exactly well-kept, but it's a fun trail, good camping at Hiner Springs.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/13/09 12:01 PM

Two good websites for you to see where you'd like to hike.

http://www.hikingupward.com/

http://www.midatlantichikes.com/

Also...Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers area. My favorite.
Posted by: Wolfeye

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/13/09 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By Larrold

With this plan in mind, are we okay to break from the beaten path a decent bit to set up a camp?

Breaking away from the beaten path is part of the fun. smile You'll find secluded spots that most people don't see. The main concerns are staying found and finding a close water source. If you're really worried about possible medical issues, it would help to plan things out with someone at home first - take out a topo map and get some general ideas of where you might stay. There are also satellite beacons you can buy that can be used to call for help during an emergency - these are more reliable than cell phones.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/13/09 07:55 PM

Thanks again for all the info. I went through those websites for several hours. I like: Cold Mountain, Roaring Run, and Riprap Hollow Loop. Are you familiar with the last two? Riprap was rated a 1 for camping, but I'm sure we can find a decent place of the path. Then, Roaring Run is rated a 5 for both solitude and camping which grabbed my attention.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks again.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/13/09 07:57 PM

This is the type of things I like to hear. I've always hated the idea of camping with people right next to you. I want to get away and actually have peace!

Thanks for the medical advice also!

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/13/09 09:55 PM

Riprap is one of my favorites as well. It can get crowded in the summer with the swimming hole. There are some nice tucked away spots, near the waterfall, but I prefer the top by Chimney Rock and also about a mile from there. Both of these don't have water, but you can get it along the way. Good views. The better way to hike is park at Wildcat ridge, and go clockwise. The AT i that area is pretty easy, so if you want to hike longer, just park further along the AT to pick up the loop.

Jeremy's Run is a good place, too. Not familiar with Roaring Run.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/14/09 07:09 PM

I read that you cannot have fires in the SNP, which is where Riprap Hollow is. Is that true? I really wanted to build a fire to cook with.
Posted by: Folkalist

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/14/09 07:19 PM

Try Craig's Creek. I had one of my best trips there. The trail, however, is only about a mile long loop, but it goes through a wide variety of plant growth. It was just a very peaceful get-away.

Bears are not typically a big problem in Virginia, but when you venture into the National Forests versus the National and State parks, they are a little bolder. Really, hang your food, though, there are plenty of other critters that'll want it. And ask the local rangers, there is always the chance of some increased bear activity.

Welcome, nice to have some more VA hikers.

Once you've found your "hiking legs", try the Monongahela in West Virginia. God sure did paint that place pretty.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/14/09 07:25 PM

Leadfoot's suggestion of the SNP is a really good idea. The SNP has EXCELLENT trail markings. Most all the trails are well-trod. When I first got into BPing, I hiked the SNP alot. The loop hikes are great. I used a book by James Molloy, Day and Overnight hikes in the SNP I think is the title. The author cuts the overnight hikes into manageable pieces and tells you just about everything to expect on the trail. When hiking in the SNP, beware that there are lot of trails (usually the really, really, really popular day hike ones) that don't allow camping. Oh, and avoid the horse trails, they're a mess.

Leadfoot, I can't believe I never notice you were in Virginia before!

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/14/09 07:31 PM

Riprap Hollow has some wonderful variation! If I remember correctly that one has some great water holes. The first, down near Wildcat Ridge are pretty popular with the local teens, so we saw a bit of garbage around, but it became more secluded later on. Chimney Rock has a wonderful view. There is a demarcation for no camping about halfway up to Chimney Rock.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/14/09 07:34 PM

It is true, no fires in SNP unless you are in a designated, park maintain campground. You have to use some version of a BPers stove for cooking. If you love camp fires, try the National Forests (Washington and Jefferson in Virginia). They have restrictions due to weather on occasion, but fires are generally allowed.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/14/09 07:51 PM

Thanks, man. I'm really looking forward to getting started, but feeling how could it is right now outside, I'm fine waiting until March.

Like I said to Leadfoot, I read that the SNP doesn't allow fires. To me it's not camping without a fire.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/14/09 07:55 PM

ok, thanks. Are you familiar with Roaring Run? It's in the George Washington N. F. so fire would be ok. Also, it's closer than the rest and is rated a "5" for both camping and solitude.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/14/09 07:56 PM

I'm rather twitchy to get back on the trail myself. grin

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/15/09 03:10 PM

I discovered that if you hike Cold Mt., you need to call the ranger station. They are having controlled burns between now and April.

Most places that allow fires are pretty well picked clean of wood in the surrounding area. You can find some, but need to look further from your site.

I usually don't hike the SNP in the summer, so I've never had any trash problem or teens hanging around.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/15/09 03:18 PM

yep...I be here in Richmond. smile

Love to do the Dolly Sods sometime. I went last year in November. OK, not a wise thing to do. Maybe we can hook up in the future. smile

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/15/09 08:52 PM

Sounds like a plan!
I've kinda looked at the Dolly Sods a few time.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/15/09 08:58 PM

I'm not familiar with Roaring Run. Do you know which district it is in? The GW and J Nat'l Forests are really stretched out along the western part of the state so the district would help.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/16/09 11:46 AM

http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/RoaringRun/

I'm going for a day hike Saturday. Should be zero out there! crazy
Posted by: chaz

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/16/09 01:22 PM

I go with other people, then camp alone. I don't want to hear someone snoring and I'm sure that they don't want to hear me either. Not really alone but safety in numbers as long as everyone is competent. I do hike alone and someday I'd like to try the wilderness alone.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/16/09 08:42 PM

Are you going to Roaring Run on Saturday? If so, please let me know how it is! I can't believe how cold it is right now, like 8 or something.

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/16/09 08:45 PM

That sounds cool. I have a core group of friends that I know I can count on, so I don't mind going with them. Good conversation and plenty of time to catch up. I've never camped like this before so I'd much rather not going alone.

Larrold

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/16/09 09:31 PM

Lead, you are certifiably nuts - but in that perfectly acceptable backpacker sort of way!
Too cold for me, I'll be cuddled with the kitties while I sip coffee.

Enjoy, stay warm and tell us all about it!
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/16/09 10:44 PM

Leadfoot, if that temp range is way beyond your norm, beware that your feet will freeze. There are chemical "toe warmers" that can go a long ways making up for too thin of boot.

I hear the temps in the south have dropped to near zero and I've also heard that southerners do not own warm clothes, and have a problem with dressing warm. I asked my sister in tennessee what she wears to work driving her car in that cold and she thought I was crazy - "why my high heels and normal clothes of course."

I had a Filipino neighbor in California. It might be 50 and foggy and cold and hes out there in flip flops and a tee shirt telling me how cold it is. I asked him why he didn't put on a coat and he said" Pilipino don't own no coat!".

Jim crazy

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/17/09 07:39 AM

Thanks, gang. I have my Keen Growler winter boots which I have used in below zero temps and snow and they worked great. I also have a thick down coat, my Montbell UL down inner vest, several layers of wool shirts...plus face protection, OR Windstopper hat, another wool hat to go over that....extra socks, mittens with windstopper covers....fleece pants with my rain pants....I think I will sweat!

Also have my emergency gear with me just in case my partners are unprepared. I do have some handwarmers as part of the kit. I ran out of the toe warmers.

It's 5 here right now...but the mountains will warm up by the time we get there.
I'll let ya know how it goes. BTW....I consider myself a woodchuck and don't own one pair of heels. crazy

I used to live in Utah...brutal white-outs. Skiied in -20 in Vermont as a kid.
BRING IT ON!

Re: Very First Two Nighter - 01/18/09 08:21 AM

The day was great. smile The three of us decided to hike up and back on the AT in SNP. Several reasons: Both were afraid of their gear not cutting it, and this allowed us to bail out easily. I suggested we hike to a shelter, turn and head back. This allowed us to have a fire if needed. So we entered the park, told the ranger our plans and hiked from McCormicks Gap to Calf Mt shelter and back, which was a total of 8 miles. Had views on both sides of the mountains, covered in trees to break the wind, had a short bald area, and had the place to ourselves.

Temps were at zero and warmed to 10...slight breeze. The sky was sunny and clear. Everyone was shedding layers after the first climb and all was well. On the return, the sky clouded up, the wind picked up and the layers went back on! But the wind was to our backs, and most was downhill or level.

Everyone loved the hike, the linear idea and the safety of knowing there was a shelter. Plus, the ranger knew what our plans were. I called my neighbor (who is a SUL hiker) and told him as well.