GEIGERRIG

Posted by: HikingGeek

GEIGERRIG - 11/09/15 06:50 PM

I recently stopped using hydration reservoirs on a regular basis due to the difficulty in cleaning them. Unfortunately, I found that when I did not use a reservoir, I was drinking less water. I also found it annoying to carry several bottles when I needed to carry a large amount of water. With some recent battles with cramping, I decided that I should find a reversible hydration reservoir, which I believed, would make cleaning, drying and staying hydrated much easier. In my search to find one, I ran across a company that I had never heard of: GEIGERRIG.

Here are some photos of their gear, as well as a link to my full review:
Gear Review: Geigerrig Hydration Pack Engine (reservoir), RIG 710 Backpack, Virus Filter, and Nano Tube

Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

Re: GEIGERRIG - 11/10/15 01:47 PM

our local newspaper started a section called "outdoors" in this section they touted the most g.awful equipment. the latest/greatest to drag into the wilderness. This product appears( at least to me)in the same vein. Intending to solve a problem that doesn't exist. filter seems promising if the price is low enough. I don't mean to sound harsh but sometimes someone has to mention the elephant in the room
Posted by: Zuuk

Re: GEIGERRIG - 11/10/15 02:07 PM

I've never had a problem cleaning out hydration packs. Usually, I'll just put some bleach & water in it, and rinse it out good. If it is really bad inside, I would use something like Steri Clean, which is a pink powder cleaner that is used when cleaning bottles for home brewing. It'll clean up any crud built up on the inside, plus it is a sterilizer, so it'll be safe to use afterwards. Just have to rinse it out really well.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: GEIGERRIG - 11/10/15 09:42 PM

I suppose it has it's place. I tried a bladder and really didn't like it much but I think that pack and water system would be good for fast paced dayhikes and mountain biking in rugged areas. It looks like it's made for that to me.

After much diddling I've come to really like my collapsible bottles with a charcoal filter. They last a long time, don't weigh much, don't take up much space when empty, and there's a lot to be said for a simple charcoal filter. It might not get the viruses out, but it makes them taste a lot better.
Posted by: DustinV

Re: GEIGERRIG - 11/12/15 11:33 PM

I grabbed one of these and I like it. They are very durable and easy to fill and clean. I've only used the air pressure features a few times, like when I wanted an adjustable pillow or while running. If you find yourself not using the air pressure, but like the bladder, they ar made by HydraPak, who make the same bladders without the air chamber.