Jacket/midlayer help

Posted by: SC Forester

Jacket/midlayer help - 11/15/13 07:35 AM

I am looking for suggestions for a mid-layer upper. It needs to be light weight, warm, synthetic fill and not bulky. The north face thermoball jacket seems fits the bill but the price tag is a bit high ($200). I will be using this for a spring trip in Colorado. Any input would be appreciated!

I have backpacked for years in western NC but, this will be my first trip to CO. I know I need something warmer out there but I not sure a jacket like the thermoball will be enough. My other layers are a capelin shirt, another thicker synthetic shirt and a rain/wind jacket.
Thanks for the help
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Jacket/midlayer help - 11/15/13 08:11 PM

I have an old Columbia "Titanium" jacket that I love. It's a great jacket/mid layer but I just checked and they don't make it anymore. They've got this "Ascender" Jacket that is sort of similar. The reviews on it are good.

I also have a wool sweater I use as a mid layer, sometimes with the Columbia jacket. I've used it on every trip I've done since I got it. My daughter found it at a thrift store for $3.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Jacket/midlayer help - 11/15/13 09:29 PM

My favorite mid layer is an old red ledge soft shell. Warm, lightish, water resistant.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Jacket/midlayer help - 11/17/13 03:16 AM

Not sure where you are going-CO is a big place, but when I go to Yosemite in winter, I take a fleece jacket, wear it over a midweight Capilene base layer turtleneck shirt with a light outer jacket. When it gets really cold, have the parka you see in my picture. Last winter I bought an expedition weight Capilene top and really like it. My kit is pretty old school, so there are a lot of new choices, but again, as you found out, a lot of them are pretty pricey. If you want to get off cheaply, a 300 weight fleece jacket or wool sweater will work well, if a bit heavier than the new designs.

fyi, my parka is a TNF Baltoro; the newer version is called the Himalayan, mine is Gortex and down and weighs about as much as a good sleeping bag.
Posted by: SC Forester

Re: Jacket/midlayer help - 11/25/13 08:02 PM

Thank ya’ll for the replies. As it stands right now I don’t know where in CO I’m going. My sister, who lives there, is planning the trip. I assume it will be within a couple hours of Denver. I found the REI Revelcloud Jacket (www.rei.com/product/844348/rei-revelcloud-jacket-mens) on sale for half the price of the thermoball jacket and they seem to spec out similar.
Posted by: Cranman

Re: Jacket/midlayer help - 12/03/13 11:57 AM

I was going to suggest the revelcloud, but I prefer the hooded one. Great jacket, great price. Just don't let your wife dry it in the drier on high, the synthetic insulation does not like the heat!