Poncho liner quilt

Posted by: JPete

Poncho liner quilt - 02/06/10 11:02 AM

Some time ago I saw a posting (I think it was here, but could have been elsewhere)about a guy who did a tripp in the Smokies with a baseweight under, I think, about five pounds. He was using a poncho liner kind quilt that had a head hole. He used it for both warmth and sleeping. I'm not sure I'm ready to go that far, but I'm curious.

Unfortunately, I can't remember his name or the name of the quilt (it was commercially available, at least at the time), and evidently I can't guess the right word to use for a search(can't find it).

Anybody with a better memory than I have who can point me to it? Thanks.

I've spent a number of nights rolled up in a poncho liner, and on some cold, wet evenings I was tempted to put a head hole in it, but never did. jcp
Posted by: lori

Re: Poncho liner quilt - 02/06/10 12:33 PM

I wonder if you are referring to something from Jacks R Better - the No Sniveller?
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Poncho liner quilt - 02/06/10 01:35 PM

The Brigade Quartermaster catalog usually has an "advanced" poncho liner quilt of Thinsulate insulation instead of the usual cheapo military polyester batting. And BQ sells a "Ranger Rick's" poncho-to-tent adaptation kit as well.

If it isn't in their catalog give 'em a call and ask.

Eric
Posted by: JPete

Re: Poncho liner quilt - 02/07/10 04:51 PM

Right on Lori, that's the item. Winnmag, I would be really interested in the QM stuff if I didn't know about the sniveler. I've dealt with them before, and done so happily.

By the way, anybody here have experience with the Sniveler? (ok, my friends stay out of this) I can't imagine getting a pack on over it, so it would be limited to camp. If more insulation or windbreaker is required, one would have to carry a jacket as well. At the time I was thinking of putting a hole in my liner, I was using a military butt pack and figured I could snug that up under the tail of it. I suppose carrying the pack under it would be possible, but seems clumsy in the extreme. And a poncho does not make a very workable windbreaker. thanks all. jcp
Posted by: Wolfeye

Re: Poncho liner quilt - 02/10/10 11:51 PM

JPete,

In case you can't find the kind of poncho liner you're looking for elsewhere, I think Integral Designs makes one. There's also the Kifaru "Woobie". I used the thinsulate model from BQM for a few years and was happy with it. Sew on a full-length zipper & a drawstring for the head, and a poncho liner makes a nice summer bag.