Marmot Helium???

Posted by: bowler2

Marmot Helium??? - 09/20/09 09:17 AM

Quick question...first of all this is not truly my first post here....was bowler 1 but my profile got deleted from lack of use for a while...

I am considering a Marmot Helium. I know it is a great bag. I had a WM Versalite for a while which is another great bag and similar in niche.

My issue with the Versalite though was that if I brought it on a trip where the temps did not drop as low as thought would and temps were in 40s I would roast in the thing. Very warm and too warm for that temp in my opinion.

How about with the Marmot? It is not rated quite as low. What is the warmest temp you can use it in without feeling over-heated?

Also, wondering since the Marmot does not have a full length zip like the WM did so venting opions are less I woudl think.

Is it a 1/2 zip or 3/4 zip on the Marmot?

thanks

Matt
Posted by: Pika

Re: Marmot Helium??? - 09/20/09 09:31 AM

I have a Marmot Helium. I have used it comfortably sleeping in the open to temperatures around 20°F; in a tent it is at least 5° warmer. It is a half zip bag. I have never found the half zip to be a problem in warm weather but I also know that many others don't like it. I have used the Helium as a quilt in nighttime temperatures around 50°F and have not been uncomfortable. Of course I am in my 70's and don't sleep as warm as I once did.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Marmot Helium??? - 09/20/09 03:51 PM

I had a Mt'n. Hardware Phantom 32 F. bag W/ a 1/2 zipper but took it back to REI W/O even camping with it. It had too little loft and I felt the 1/2 zipper restricted its versatility. I was correct.

I got a Western Mountaineering Megalite,30 F. bag with a full zip and great loft. It has been used to 22 F. and was OK as I had on light polyester long johns and a stocking cap.

Also I used it ZIPPED OPEN as a quilt on 75 F. nights and loved the comfort of the quilt function
with the foot hooked over the foot of my old full length UL Thermarest.

Therefore I'd strongly recommend a full length zipper and a bag with good loft, like my WM bag or a Feathered Friends.

Eric
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Marmot Helium??? - 09/20/09 07:59 PM

I've used the Helium. It's pretty accurately rated, unlike the WM bags which are about 10 degrees conservative. I ended up replacing the Helium (and a Hydrogen) with Western Mountaineering bags because of the half zippers and the better warmth. I've used the WM bags (particularly the Mitylite) as a quilt when the temps were such that using them as a bag made them too warm.

Last week, I tried out an MSR Ventra quilt, rated to 50 degrees. The temperatures where we hiked were 45 and 50 degrees on successive nights. The rating was very accurate; I was comfortable under it in shorts, T-shirt and shorts on the warmer night, and on the colder night I stayed plenty warm in a set of lightweight longjohns. It may just become my new go-to bag, because I could "sprawl" under it.
Posted by: bowler2

Re: Marmot Helium??? - 09/24/09 07:37 AM

Well here is an update....

I got the Marmot in the mail yesterday. Good news....they got smart and now make the bag with a full length zipper! To me that was the biggest downfall of this bag and never understood why they kept the half zip.

I think the bag will work well for me. Now it can be used as a quilt which adds to its versatility.

Furthermore, it is quite a bit lower in loft than my WM Versalite and therefore not going to be as warm...that bag was just too stinking warm for temps over 40 in my opinion.

Nice bag but not quite as impressive as the WM bags in my opinion in terms of loft, and just overall impression. Zipper guard not as nice as the WM one which is awesome.

Matt
Posted by: raythur

Re: Marmot Helium??? - 10/02/09 07:12 PM

Congrats on the purchase of your new Helium. I have the Helium EQ and I'm considering a lighter bag because I cook in temps above 40. Below 40 it's perfect (within limits of course).

Ray
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Marmot Helium??? - 10/04/09 12:31 AM

Nice to know that Marmot has finally gone to the longer zipper! This allows for much better ventilation when it's warm.

I sold my Marmot Hydrogen a few years ago because it wasn't warm enough for me. I bought a Western Mountaineering Ultralight Super. The WM bag is cozy warm, and I really love that draft collar, but it sheds a lot more down than the Hydrogen did. I think the Pertex Quantum shell on the Hydrogen is superior to WM's shell fabric. As you pointed out, the zipper guard on WM bags is much better. Neither company has quite come up with the perfect bag, but WM is awfully close!